RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger blackhawk ejector rod

Boolit Bub

Ruger blackhawk ejector rod

I loaded some warm 45 Colt for my dad's Blackhawk and he said they blew off the ejector housing. He said that there was no apparent permanent damage to the gun but it still has me questioning my self. I am not all that familiar with Blackhawks but from the pictures I can find it looks like it is held on by one screw by the muzzle end of the gun. My thoughts are that it wasn't an over pressure round that blew it off. It was more recoil induced with a potential loose screw. My reasoning is that over pressure would be more apt to damage the cylinder frame or barrel.

The load was 17.5gr of 2400 over a 300gr Lee C452-300-RF sized to 452 with an oal of 1.588 and a Winchester large pistol primer.

I do not have a book with this load but I found many post with hotter and lighter loads of 2400.

On a related note, my dad said that they where very inconsistent on recoil. Some seemed as light as normal 45 Colt load and some had significantly more recoil. I weighed every charge out with my chargemaster so I know they all had the same amount of powder. My only two explanations would be not enough crimp or that the Winchester large pistol primers are not quite hot enough although they say on the box for standard and magnum loads. Do you have any thoughts

Boolit Grand Master

Mixed brass or consistent head stamp? Just the difference in brass thickness can cause differences in crimp and thus the differences in recoil. My other suggestion would be to evaluate possible powder contamination in loading.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

If the screw was missing, i'd say the screw just came loose and the rod and housing flew off. If the screw was broke off in the hole, then recoil sheared it off. If that is the case i'd guess that the screw was loose and then sheared.

My guess on the recoil difference would be inconsistent crimp from round to round. If the brass wasnt trimmed for consistency then I'd say for sure since you measured the charges.

Boolit Buddy
    When i got my 44 Super Blackhawk years ago i was out shooting mine and the ejector rod came off. I was able to find the parts and carried it to a local gunsmith. According to him he said the screw holding the housing was plastic. He put a metal screw in it with no more problems in about 38 years. I have more Blackhawks and had no problems with them.

Super Moderator

I had this happen once. I think that over time recoil will "loosen" the screw and it will eventually come apart if it's not noticed. The answer for me was Loctite. And no, the screw is not plastic.

Boolit Master

had that happen once I use lock tight on all of my SBH screws now Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150315_143012_resized (1).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	208648
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

if you shoot a blackhawk enough, it will rattle itself loose. more than likely this is what happened. may as well go thru it and tighten the rest of the screws.

I heard the gunsmith tell a story once....

One of the regulars came in with a broke ruger 44 blackhawk. Well, the guy couldnt see well, and would load as normal but couldnt see the splits in his brass. He fired a round, and the fire from the round chain fired the round next to it. It happened to be a full cylinder and the round right behind the ejector rod lug was the one that went off. Blue the lug off and messed up the frame some. If I recall it correctly, the first time it happened, he just ended up replacing the ejector rod assembly and the second time is when it blew the lug off. And... he did it to 2 different rugers. So, the gunsmith was talking to ruger about it, and they were in shock... not cause it happened, but that someone had destroyed not 1, but 2 super blackhawks. They were going to warranty one of them until they talked to the gunsmith. Dont know if they warrantied it or not.

Boolit Master
    +1 on loose screw. I check all my BH screws when cleaning after every use. I use blue Locktite on my ejector screw and the cylinder pin latch screw.

Had that happen to my Blackhawk.41 mag still haven't got it fixed.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

It pays to check the screw tightness or just locktite it. There is an ejector rod in the woods behind the house you are welcome to if you can find it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought when he told me it was plastic that did'nt sound right.Anyway i know a little more now and i have not had anymore problems.

Boolit Master
    Ok, over the years,,, Ruger has used 2 basic types of screw systems to attach the ejector rod housing to the barrel. The early ones,,, used a stud,,, installed in the barrel,, that was tapped to accept a screw. Later,,, they eliminated the stud, and just drilled & tapped the barrel.
    The earlier ones,,, had occasional recoil issues that caused the studs to come out,,, and sometimes a sheared off screw. Later,,, the screws just sheared off. Often,, it is attributed to the screw getting loose, and then either just coming out,,, or shearing the screw. Ruger has never used any plastic screws on the ERH.

Always take a few moments to check screws on ANY brand of gun that has moderate to heavy recoil.

Boolit Bub
    Fourth Edition Hornady Reloading BookClick image for larger version. 

Name:	hornady.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	208654

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Ok, over the years,,, Ruger has used 2 basic types of screw systems to attach the ejector rod housing to the barrel. The early ones,,, used a stud,,, installed in the barrel,, that was tapped to accept a screw. Later,,, they eliminated the stud, and just drilled & tapped the barrel.
    The earlier ones,,, had occasional recoil issues that caused the studs to come out,,, and sometimes a sheared off screw. Later,,, the screws just sheared off. Often,, it is attributed to the screw getting loose, and then either just coming out,,, or shearing the screw. Ruger has never used any plastic screws on the ERH.

Always take a few moments to check screws on ANY brand of gun that has moderate to heavy recoil.
    I once owned a new 1975-vintage NM Blackhawk in .41 Mag that shed the entire ejector rod housing and stud upon firing the third round of factory ammo. I have developed a habit of checking screw tightness whenever I clean a gun.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassduck View Post
    Fourth Edition Hornady Reloading BookClick image for larger version. 

Name:	hornady.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	208654
    Wow I guess I need to buy a few more books. If 15.9 is max with a jacketed 300gr I definitely wouldn't want to shoot with what some of the post I have seen which was up to 20gr in dangerous game country 19gr with a rifle because the bolt gets sticky

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nd-the-45-Colt

Banned

I don't take a ruger single action to the range without a screw driver. Every screw on them will loosen with recoil. I check them at least every 100 rounds.

Boolit Grand Master

I think it's been pretty well covered. Just a loosened ejector rod housing screw. I keep a little blue locktite and a screw driver set in my range stuff. Be sure to use the proper tip so he doesn't mar the finish or have bubba'd up screw heads.

Boolit Buddy
    the ejector rod screws are known to work loose on blackhawks . his was probably already loose before he started shooting and he didn't realize it (it happens). I currently own 2 blackhawks 1 in 357/9mm convertible and 1 in 45 colt and they both come loose, ive had to tighten both on more than 1 occasion . I had the same thing happen with my 357 at range 1 day shooting and it flew off luckily I was able to find all pieces and the screw . I put a drop of blue lock tight on the ejector rod screws on both of the revolvers and haven't had a prob since . if you decide to go this route make sure you use blue lock tight not red . blue is removable red is not

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I was cleaning up one of my NMBH in 45 last night and I noticed the ejector rod housing screw was loose. It is normal and I tighten or check tighten every screw in every gun every time I service/clean. Loss of the housing screw is not a rare happening. Ruger will sell/give you the screw if you can't find it. Give them a call and tell him to check screws every time, not your fault; it is the operators responsibility........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast