MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: RCBS .45-270-SA bullet & BP in 1883 Colt SAA?

RCBS .45-270-SA bullet & BP in 1883 Colt SAA?

Hello,

Would this bullet be too heavy for the old guy? It comes out at about 280-285gr.
    If this seems reasonable, how much black powder could be safely used, and should the bullet be fairly soft, maybe not too tight or heavily crimped?
    Or would a 200gr bullet with say 30gr of 3F be a safer bet?

I also have Lee's 200gr and 255gr RNFP molds, but I prefer the RCBS profile (mine I think is .454). I haven't slugged the bore or the chambers because I only put a hold the gun, I don't have it yet. I'm only going to shoot it occasionally of course, if I complete the sale. Other bullet suggestions would be welcome, Keith style. I wouldn't want to blow it up, so I'd rather err on the side of safety, but I also don't want to shoot mouse farts.
    Anyone here has one of that era? What are your bore and chamber sizes? Thanks.

Gil.

In Remembrance

An original 1883 Colt SSA revolver will have a .454 groove diameter and probably .455 to .458 diameter chamber throats. Most of the "black powder era" Colts I have measured do. If a competent gunsmith inspects the gun and OKs it for shooting, you would probably be safe with real FFg black powder and the 280 grain bullet. Using modern brass cases you might not be able to load more than 30 grains of FFg and still seat the bullet deep enough to fit the cylinder length. You would probably get better results with the Lyman # 454190 bullet. It holds more lube for black powder shooting, casts a larger diameter with soft lead (mine drops at .455) and weighs about 255-260 grains. It was developed specifically for .45 Colt revolvers in the 1890s and can be made to shoot quite accurately. Keep in mind that Colt did not recommend smokeless powder in their revolvers until well into the 20th century, so mild black powder loads are prudent.

Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    An original 1883 Colt SSA revolver will have a .454 groove diameter and probably .455 to .458 diameter chamber throats. Most of the "black powder era" Colts I have measured do. If a competent gunsmith inspects the gun and OKs it for shooting, you would probably be safe with real FFg black powder and the 280 grain bullet. Using modern brass cases you might not be able to load more than 30 grains of FFg and still seat the bullet deep enough to fit the cylinder length. You would probably get better results with the Lyman # 454190 bullet. It holds more lube for black powder shooting, casts a larger diameter with soft lead (mine drops at .455) and weighs about 255-260 grains. It was developed specifically for .45 Colt revolvers in the 1890s and can be made to shoot quite accurately. Keep in mind that Colt did not recommend smokeless powder in their revolvers until well into the 20th century, so mild black powder loads are prudent.
    Thanks. I finally went for a 1897 .38-40 SAA, which I am sure will bring it's own set of challenges...
    Gil

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I found that the semi-wad cutter edge lip would frequently snag on edge of the chamber, requiring extra fiddling to get the cartridge to side or drop into the chamber. This bugged me so much that I bought a RNFP mold (LEE 45-255g) no more SWC in my SA’s for me.
    The SWC are a pain in my DA revolver too, it just doesn’t bug me quite as much.
    If I buy another mold for the 38spl / 357mag it will be a RNFP design.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 12-30-2017 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    I found that the semi-wad cutter edge lip would frequently snagged on edge of the chamber, requiring extra fiddling to get the cartridge to side or drop into the chamber. The bugged me so much that I bought a RNFP mold (LEE 45-255g) no more SWC in my SA’s for me.
    The SWC are a pain in my DA revolver too, it just doesn’t bug me quite as much.
    If I buy another mold for the 38spl / 357mag it will be a RNFP design.
    Interesting. Maybe that's why some people cut the entrance of the forcing cone at eleven degrees...
    Gil

I’m casting my 45-270 at 20:1. They drop right at 280 grains. I set the bullet over 39 grains (Lee 2.5 cc) of Graff fffg. Recoil is fierce, shots to POA and leaves my 4 3/4 inch barrel at 700 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    I’m casting my 45-270 at 20:1. They drop right at 280 grains. I set the bullet over 39 grains (Lee 2.5 cc) of Graff fffg. Recoil is fierce, shots to POA and leaves my 4 3/4 inch barrel at 700 FPS
    You don't mean 800? I was getting 850-875 with 8 grains of Unique in a clone; same barrel lenght. 700 seems pretty low for 39 grains of 3F... Gil.

700 FPS. Might be the powder. One day I’ll measure some Goex

Boolit Master
    My 3rd gen Colt’s SAA’s throws the RCBS 45 270 dead on tight at 25 yards but becomes completely unstable at 100 yards.