WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Ruger super red hawk 454 throats?

Boolit Buddy

Ruger super red hawk 454 throats?

Thinking of getting a super red hawk in 454 and was wondering if the throats are hit and miss with them like the black hawks, and how are they with 45 colt loads.

Thanks Scott

Mine had huge throats...shot OK with 45 colt as long as I didn't size them.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    Mine has large throats too, .456 and not all the same size. I should send my cylinder to have the throats evened up. Once I do, I probably have to use my 45 rifle molds as all my pistol molds cast too small.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Vendor Sponsor

I wonder if Ruger does this on purpose to decrease pressure in the cylinder on firing? They use a different alloy and different heat treating for the 454 SRH than other calibers, these barrels and cylinders are a special gray color.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Your question on the throats is intriguing. How good a handgun shot are you? Only you truly know this. It is isn't what you can do on your very best day or your very worst day. It is what you can do on your average day.
    Now with that being said. It will take a very good shot from field positions, not the bench, to tell the difference between a load that groups 3 inches or 4 inches from the bench when fired in field positions. Don't let people water your leg and tell you it is raining. Try the gun first before screwing with the throats. If the gun is horrible, making sure it isn't you that is horrible, then look at that option.

Boolit Buddy
    I can hold my own shooting handguns I've been shooting USPSA since 85 and maintain A or B classification depending how much I practice that year. And have been through a few Larry Vickers pistol and carbine classes and usually am in the top 10%. A year ago I bought a BH in 45 and It shot like ****, and the throats where small. Opened the to .4525 and with my 45-270saa bullets its a tack driver. So spending 1000. on a handgun yes I would like to know what I might be getting into.

Boolit Master
    What load are you using with the 45-270SAA bullet? How well does it do at 100 yards offhand? I use the MiHec version.

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester brass, cci std large pistol primers, 9 grs unique. I have not shot it at 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    I use std. primers and 2400. Shoots well. I can't give the load. But try the 454 SRH before you get too concerned on the throats.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Ruger SRH is about 15 years old, and the throats are .452", barrel is .4515". If I size my boolits .453", they won't chamber freely.

DougGuy, here's a link to the Carpenter web site and the info about the special alloy used in the SRH.

https://www.cartech.com/en/alloy-tec...rospace-alloys
    Last edited by 454PB; 12-01-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: add link
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

i had to order a special mold from Dan @ Mountain Molds for my SR, it came with fat .454"+ throats, you may have a point Doug with the oversize on purpose, after the early ones had the sticky case problems I've read about.

But I had no issue with accuracy, and seem to get less pressure out of the Ruger with this 340 grain slug @ .454" and 27.0 grains of H110. I had no problem with case heads expanding in the SR with this load, but did in the FA 83, using ,452" sized boolits, had to drop below 26.0 grains in the mod 83. The ruger is a 50 yard group, and there are 6 in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XD7P4292.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	208852

The FA is same bullet @ .452" and brass, just 25.5 grains, and at 25 yards, the open sights are the issue with my eyes and why they are not in one hole. Maybe it's because the FA 83 doesn't use the Carpenter Stainless?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_0379-II.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	208853
    Last edited by wildcatter; 12-04-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is a theory floating around (I read it on the internet, so it has to be true) that the Carpenter alloy cylinder chambers actually expand on firing, then return to normal size, which causes the sticky extraction you refer to. I have experienced this problem, and yet the same ammunition doesn't stick when fired in my Taurus RB or Freedom Arms 83.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I seem to have a newer SRH .454 since it does not have the dark grey tone, it is a polished stainless just like the .44 Mags.

The throats on mine are .455-.456. I have to use .458-bullets sized to .456 to get anywhere near 3-4" groups at 50 yards, otherwise we are up to +10" groups with both .454 Casull and .45 Colt.
    It is very sensitive on case and/or bullet alignment. I have to either seat the bullet far enough out for it to engrave in the chamber throat, or use unsized brass that gives a snug fit and alignment in the chamber.
    I compete since many years and regularly shoot 1" groups at 50y with guns and ammo that can do it.
    Last edited by Whistler; 12-04-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    Shoot from a rest at 25/50/100 yards, then post your groupings. That is the only way to compare accuracy results.