Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: .454 bear defense loads

Boolit Bub

.454 bear defense loads

I moved back to AK and now looking for a good bear load for my .454 casull, ruger SRH (7.5"). I have some 260gr semi jacketed flat points and they are shooting fine but the more I read about grizzly attacks the more I want a heavier boolit.

I've seen many in the 300-325gr range which was going to be my starting point but then I noticed some 370gr W/GC at the LGS. Now thats a big hunk of lead, WOW!! I didn't notice if they are FP or RN but will go back to check since I want a flat point.

Has anyone loaded that heavy for the 454?
    How was the recoil and accuracy?
    Where did you find load info?
    Are there heavier boolits available or even recommended for the .454?

FWIW I will be getting another .454 in either the 2.5" or 5" barrel from ruger, the load recipes should remain pretty much unchanged, right??

Boolit Buddy
    Hodgdon reloading has data listed for bullets up to 395 grains, as far as recoil and accuracy you will need to practice and find what works best for you. Everyone threshold for recoil is different.

Boolit Master

Since you’re going to get another pistol, have you considered a 460 S&W? They make a 5” compensated model and you can shoot 454’s in it as well. I think when it comes to grizzlies, you can’t have too much power!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    Hodgdon reloading has data listed for bullets up to 395 grains, as far as recoil and accuracy you will need to practice and find what works best for you. Everyone threshold for recoil is different.
    I'll check out hodgon, thanks

Recoil can be different for everyone but different powders may also produce less recoil than other powders - I'm interested in real life experiences

Quote Originally Posted by clum553946 View Post
    Since you’re going to get another pistol, have you considered a 460 S&W? They make a 5” compensated model and you can shoot 454’s in it as well. I think when it comes to grizzlies, you can’t have too much power!
    I have considered the .460 but ruger doesn't make one for the SRH. Plus the .454 kicks like a mule and at the moment I'm not interested in going to a bigger mule

Boolit Master
    Whatever you end up loading, keep an eye on bullet/boolit pull. Heavier projectiles and harder kicking loads exacerbate this issue. Its something to watch out for, and doubly so in a defense gun, as it can tie up a revolver in just a few shots. That happened to a guy in Alaska a few years back, luckily shot # 4 from his 2.5" SRH did the trick on the attacking bear, as the gun was tied up for #5.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded up to 415 gr in a 454 Casull.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I have loaded up to 415 gr in a 454 Casull.
    How did you like them?

Boolit Master
    The most I pushed them was to 1350 fps. I have 2 molds from LBT a LFN-GC and a WLN-GC. the WLN didnt really fully stabilize at that velocity but did give good accuracy out to 50 yards.
    Recoil in my FA was exhilirating. The gun recoiled so far that the hammer woulf cut my hand unless a death grip was used.
    The 415 WLN-GC from a 4 inch Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt at 1120 will stabilize very well and even at that velocity equals the momentum of a 360 gr at 1290 fps or a 320 at 1450.
    Plus recoil isnt horrendous and it is a good packing revolver. The Redhawk need a lot higher front and Bowen Custom guns has them or they did.
    My bullets are designed to come to pretty close to full cylinder length and no I didnt have problems with bullet pull under recoil in either gun.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 11-29-2017 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I recommend and use the Lee C452-300-RF and/or Lyman 452651. The Lee actually weighs 320 gr. in my alloy, and the Lyman weighs 330 gr., sized, gas checked, and lubed. Both of these have been pushed to over 1400 fps. in my three .454 Casull revolvers, and 1900 fps. in my Puma rifle. Though I've not shot any bears with these, I have no doubt they will fully penetrate. I'm used to heavy recoil, and these two produce about all I want.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Groo here
    As you have a ruger [ faster twist than an FA], you can use heave boolets at reduced speeds.[FA has slow twist needed faster loads fpr 300+gr boolets]
    Go to Penn bullets for the original SSK 340gr bullet designed for the FA 454.[ they will send loading data,, ask]
    Said boolet has taken the Big Five.........

Boolit Grand Master

I regularly shoot a 325 WFN with 33.0 gr. 296 out of my FA. Last count was over 5K of them and they shoot into 1" - 1.5" @ 50yds.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I regularly shoot a 325 WFN with 33.0 gr. 296 out of my FA. Last count was over 5K of them and they shoot into 1" - 1.5" @ 50yds.
    You might want to recheck your load data. As typed out in post #11, this would be a VERY DANGEROUS load!

Hodgdon data lists 26.0gr W296 as a MAX charge behind a 325gr HP boolit seated to 1.750" COA showing OVER 52,000 CUP pressure.

They also list 26.0gr W295 as a MAX charge behind a 325gr LFN seated to 1.760" COA showing 34,300 CUP pressure.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Will 33 gr. of 296 even allow boolit seating?
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Will 33 gr. of 296 even allow boolit seating?
    Yes, barely...The load was on a Xerox copy of load date from Dick Casull when I bought the gun in the early eighties. It doesn't even flatten the primer.

BTW - The industry standard for the .454 Casull was 65,000. With the advent of other revolvers it was lowered.
    Last edited by stubshaft; 12-01-2017 at 04:59 PM.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

My eyes hurt just looking at that data, LOL.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Yes, barely...The load was on a Xerox copy of load date from Dick Casull when I bought the gun in the early eighties. It doesn't even flatten the primer.

BTW - The industry standard for the .454 Casull was 65,000. With the advent of other revolvers it was lowered.
    Well there is certainly no worry about the old "WW 296 detonation due to inadequate load density" with that one.

The 454 and the 357 both suffer greatly from reduced pressure standards caused by gun makers and their poor choices.
    Last edited by P Flados; 12-01-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    As you have a ruger [ faster twist than an FA], you can use heave boolets at reduced speeds.[FA has slow twist needed faster loads fpr 300+gr boolets]
    Go to Penn bullets for the original SSK 340gr bullet designed for the FA 454.[ they will send loading data,, ask]
    Said boolet has taken the Big Five.........
    I didnt consider rate of twist ... What is a good weight for the SHR and will barrel length make that big of a difference?

Boolit Master
    1-24 twist is good for 340 to 350.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    I recommend and use the Lee C452-300-RF and/or Lyman 452651. The Lee actually weighs 320 gr. in my alloy, and the Lyman weighs 330 gr., sized, gas checked, and lubed. Both of these have been pushed to over 1400 fps. in my three .454 Casull revolvers, and 1900 fps. in my Puma rifle. Though I've not shot any bears with these, I have no doubt they will fully penetrate. I'm used to heavy recoil, and these two produce about all I want.
    U mind sharing the load u are using in your puma? I really haven't played with loads in mine since I started casting. I think my alloy drops at 316 with the gc wit the lee. Assuming u are using h110? Also, which crimp groove are u using? Thanks, Rosewood.
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast