Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington Rolling Block Sights

Boolit Mold

Remington Rolling Block Sights

I have an 1870 Remington RB in .43 Spanish Reformado. I am developing the load for this gun and have come to realize my 67 year old eyesight is not quite up to the open battle sight system on this gun. (Same problem with my 30/40 Krag). Does anyone have any suggestions on installing some other sights on this RB that doesn't entail drilling the receiver or tang. I can make a mount that will fit the stock ladder sight hole but would like some idea of what I can mount on the gun. I think from my reading that some type of Peep Sight will help me see better and if that is the case would like some ideas on installing one. Any ideas appreciated!

Depends on how handy you are with machine tools, or a file. I've seen guys replace the elevated blade on the rear sight with a peep setup by making a peep replacement, or using a spare sight and cutting the blade off and soldering a peep in it's place.
    If you could find a better rear sight that was long enough to span the hole spacing, it could be D&T to mount in the same holes. But that's probably a tough one to find. Easier to find an old original sight and modify it. But you'll need a fairly large peep aperture due to the distance away from your eye. Small apertures wont work the farther they are from your eye.

Boolit Grand Master

An appeture is better than a notch and blade but needs to be closer to the eye to be at its best. Depending on where the rear sight and its hole holes are a rail from brownells scope rail could be made to bolt into those holes and extend back over receiver. Allowing for a rear apeture to be mounted back where it needs to be. Draw back to this is unlike a ladder sight with "give in it if you get tapped with the sight under recoil it will hurt. But the rail will allow mounting with out modifications.

something I have toyed with. I can use a full buckhorn as a modified peep. Thought about a full buckhorn, and fill in the top with liquid steel or such to make a peep. Could test with simple black electric tape too

I've seen guys solder a aperture ring right into the notch of a typical blade sight. But as mentioned, the hole needs to be larger the farther away from your eye it is.
    But I like country gent's idea for a rail better! A piece of blank Weaver rail can be purchased in 10" or 12" lengths, and then use the same old rear sight holes to mount it. Then you could even put a scope on it, or mount a sight on the rail. Brilliant!
    Rails come flat on the bottom, so need to be milled concave to fit the barrel. But they're pretty inexpensive!

Brownells:

713-000-112WB
    18" Picatinny Scope Ring Base

Oscar

A small brass washer would easily solder to a buckhorn sight. Midway sells a peep rear adjustable sight It mounts with a dovetail (Marble's Bullseye Rear Sight) I like the Arisaka type 99 rear peep sight on its ladder sight
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullseye.jpg 
Views:	959 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	208635
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arisaka Rear Peep.jpg 
Views:	966 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	208636

I used a Weaver one piece scope base, drilled it to line up with existing holes. I draw filed the
    side "wings" that scope rings lock into off, flush with the base. I then D&T a piece of flat stock
    into the scope base. This extended to rear of action, it doesn't touch, mine has about 1/32"
    gap under the flat stock. D&T rear of flat stock for a Williams Guide sight, with aperature. I cold
    blue the flat stock.

Boolit Mold
    WOW! Some great ideas! Lots to think about.

Rather than making changes to the rifles why not make changes to your glasses/safety glasses? Check out a Merit Sight. Reduce the field of vision and increase the depth of vision, just like the old Brownie cameras. The Merit has a suction cup to securely hold it on the glasses; can be moved and adjusted for different shooting holds (i.e. rifle vs pistol, bench vs offhand); and has a variable aperture for different lighting conditions. If you go to the NMLRA Nationals in Friendship, IN you see anyone with gray hair wearing one. AND by being on the glasses rather than the rifle you only need one.

If that sight that LostinIdaho posted is long enough, you might be able to cut the dovetail base off, and then drill it to match the two Remington mounting holes. So it would not require modifying the rifle to use it.
    Or you could build a base that mounts to the holes, and has a dovetail that the sight simply dovetails into. Would be slightly elevated, so might need to use a taller front blade to work too.

Obxjr, I went through the same thing you are going through now. Is your Rolling block drilled and tapped on the tang? Most RB are but not sure about that .43. If it is, get you a Lyman peep sight for the back and a Lyman 17A globe sight for the front. You will never look back. Infact, I have removed several of my scopes and have replaced them with this setup. That is, for my eyes. Don't know about anyone else's. Good luck in whatever you try.

Roy
    Hooker53
    Last edited by Hooker53; 11-30-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Words

Quote Originally Posted by Hooker53 View Post
    Obxjr, I went through the same thing you are going through now. Is your Rolling block drilled and tapped on the tang? Most RB are but not sure about that .

Roy
    Hooker53
    Most modern versions of the Rolling Block are, but most originals were not D&T for a tang sight. None of the original military contract Rollers were D&T for tang sight.