Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am more accurate with shorter handguns?

Boolit Master

I am more accurate with shorter handguns?

First off, my essential tremor will never let me be a great handgun shooter. I realized recently I am more accurate with shorter handguns. I love shooting my 6" Security Six, and from a rest it is very accurate. There is just something about the longer barrel or the weight way out there that makes my tremor worse. I run into the same problem with my Browning Buckmark. Anybody else run into something similar or just prefer shorter? It is bad enough I am considering getting rid of the Ruger in favor of something shorter.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Don't have tremors but do prefer a shorter barrel as in the 1911, my Commander has a different feel, feels right, feels balanced...on a good day I ain't bad either.
    I remember from childhood watching a man shoot Dad's snubnose...he had terrible tremors...didn't understand what it was at that age.
    I like revolvers @ 5"...balance again.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I don't like 6" barrels...I don't hunt and only shoot paper so the 4" is perfect for me and the 6" or longer is too much for these 80 year old arthritic hands. Snubs and short barrel guns are fine for me if I'm practicing "up close and personal" shooting with my SD guns from their hiding places in my house...Also the amount of shooting I can do these days is limited by physical stuff so any shooting tires me quickly....I have a friend with a 6" gp 100 with a nice little red dot on it...like new...said I could have it for $400. I shot it for about 20 minutes and was shaking like a leaf...nice gun and a decent buy but nothing I want.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the Feel of shorter barreled pistols.
    That is why I jumped on a S&W 25-2 that had been cut to 2 3/4".
    It feels good.
    And so far 3" at 25 yards is good enough for me.
    But it will reach out and hit a gallon jug at 100 yards.
    Takes a while for the bullet to make it that far.
    To me a 5" is a long barrel

Boolit Buddy
    I used to like long barreled handguns and did well with them but it seems I shoot shorter barrels better the older I get. I don't know why for sure but I do.

Some times the sights on a shorter barrel are easier to se with middle aged eyeballs. Don't know the source of your tremors but one person I personally know had shaking so bad he had to give up shooting. He underwent surgery with an electrode implanted in his brain and as soon as it was activated his shakes were gone.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    My opinion is that the longer barrel amplifies my ofhand wiggles and destroys my confidence. I probably won't shoot any worse with a longer barrel, but because I can see my wiggle wobbles more easily it ruins my confidence.
    If I know that I can make the shot, especially on game, my confidence stays up and I probably follow though better,and I have often made shots in years gone buy,that are against all odds.
    I like 4 to 5 inch barrels.
    For sure it is harder to focus on the sights than it once was

I learned when I put a Red Dot on my wife's Ruger Mk III 22/45 that it is not the barrel so much. It is the strain of trying to hold that alignment. And once I realised that I quickly found out I could have a barrel dropping back down after recoil, and just pulsed the trigger as the red dot was centered. And all of a sudden I could put many more shots down range in the same period of time.

And as long as I kept the barrel tracking straight, and timed the trigger right, they all hit in a nice tight little group.

And my buddy who used to out shoot the heck out of me with his Beretta 92fs with laser all of a sudden lost his magic when he saw mine.

It is not the holding, its fighting the wobble that creeps in. So don't fight it.
    Use it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Not that I am some pistol master, because I am far from it.

Don't fight yourself, work with what is happening. If you need different tools, then you need different tools.

All I can say is I love shooting that ruger.

20 feet it will put 10 shots you can cover with a pop cap. On a good day, tighter than that.

Boolit Master

I can see the sights better on a 5-6" barrel than shorter barreled guns. Allthough the heavy barreled guns with under lug barrels, i.e. COLT Python, S&W 586/686 Are just too muzzle heavy for me. I do shoot a 3" RUGER Service-6 very well at 50ft. But then I've been shooting that particular revolver with the same load for 30yrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I guess I will see since I traded some stuff for an EAA Windicator .38 snubby today. Kind of the opposite extreme, but I can hold it steady and keep the sight centered at arms length. Side by side comparison with the same ammo, the classic 2.7gr BE 148gr HBWC load.

I know what you mean GhostHawk, and I can kind of do that occasionally by accident if I don't have to deal with a DA trigger and speed things up. A lot of times my eyes don't aquire the sights quick enough. I replaced the broken Red Dot on my Buckmark; so I will try that on purpose next trip.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master
    Confidence is a huge thing. If you go in doubting good results, that's what comes in return.
    The older we get the softer we get. I work with my hands a large part of the day five days a week.
    Upper body strength can go away fairly quick.
    I would suggest some of the therapeutic putty or a tennis ball. Leave it where you may be of an evening. Play with it and squeeze it as long as you can.
    Retired buddy did this after I heard multiple excuses from him. His shooting came around again.
    One of those small dumb bell type weights, 1-5 pound, can be picked up at a lot of garage sales for pennys. Most are slightly used if at all.
    That extra little bit of weight and heft from some revolvers is a lot when you put it out at arms length.
    Watch the movie Hannie Caulder, you will get the idea

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I shoot my concealed carry guns as good or better than my larger pistols. Which is as it should be, I am more likely to have one of them in a life or death situation than something larger and so I practice with them a lot more.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Decades ago most of my revolvers had barrels over 6" today I only have one with a 7.5 " barrel all the rest are 6" or less, with 5" being my favorite, for my 70 year old eyes most have MRDS or tube style RDS so barrel length is usually unimportant as far as accuracy goes.

Boolit Bub
    Concur with the other Pards on going with what works for ya. I prefer longer barreled pistols and tell myself the longer sight radius and heavier weight makes 'em steadier. Howsomeever, there have been lots of experiments that indicate barrel length is not correlated with accuracy. Now comes to mind an article years back in a shooting magazine. The gun writer was pleased that Bill Ruger gave them a 10.5" barreled Super Blackhawk for a test. The writer took a rest (Ransom Rest IIRC) and his favorite gunsmith w/portable gunsmithing fixtures to an indoor range. They fired a test group with the unaltered pistol. Then, in stages, cut 1" off the barrel (the gunsmith very professionally shortening and crowning the barrel each time), and shot groups. They took the barrel all the way down to 2.5". The best group? 8.5". The next best group by a few 100ths of an inch? The 2.5" barrel.

Again, I'll say, stick with what works for ya.

Good luck and good shootin'

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Boolit Grand Master

My Father shot competitive Bullseye for our club. He told a story of a visiting team that had a competitor with Parkinson’s and that man with his terrible disease still shot Master. The man noticed my Pop staring at him incredulously. The gentleman finished his string, turned to my Pop and said "Squeeze when they’re on son. Squeeze when they’re on."

Such a simple game. Squeeze when they’re on.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I went to a shooting match once and one of the shooters had a terrible shaking problem.
    One of the events was slug gun at 50 yards. You had one minute to shoot 5 rounds. He had over come his shaking problem by snap shooting the target not trying to hold the gun for more then 1/2 second before squeezing off the round.
    As I watched him shoot, I felt embarrassed for him, knowing he would be luck to hit the target even once.
    But as it turned out he won the slug gun event with 10's and X's.
    I asked him about it afterwards and his only comment was, "You have to know when to squeeze the trigger."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I don't think I'm more accurate with a short barrel hand gun but I think I should be more accurate with a long barrel hand gun than I am.

Boolit Master
    With the shorter barrels , I have a built in Excuse if I Miss something.
    " What do you expect , it is a Short Barrel "
    But it was also brought up about Ballance or Forward weight with longer barrels or even a full under barrel lug.
    Thinking about that , i prefer most of the weight to the rear of the gun.
    I do not shoot a smith L frame as well as I shoot the older K frame with a half barrel underlug.
    The overall weight of the pistol does not seem to factor in for me.
    I shoot a 3" Rossi just as well as a 4" N frame smith with the same loads

Boolit Master
    They fired a test group with the unaltered pistol. Then, in stages, cut 1" off the barrel (the gunsmith very professionally shortening and crowning the barrel each time), and shot groups. They took the barrel all the way down to 2.5". The best group? 8.5". The next best group by a few 100ths of an inch? The 2.5" barrel.
    Interesting. But, the trouble I have with a test such as this is that you may find the sweet spot for the load, rather than the gun.

Boolit Master
    I am glad to see someone that has the foresight to realize that "If you can shoot well you can shoot well if you can't you can't". Barrel length is just psychological. It is not mechanical. If you can hold sight alignment you can hold sight alignment. Now if someone has a psychological problem with barrel length I'm sorry. I did at one time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast