MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Tru-Line Jr die sets

Boolit Master

Tru-Line Jr die sets

I mainly collect the 310 die sets but a lot of material that is supposed to be for the 310 tool is actually Tru-Line. I don't know much about the Tri-Line dies, is a set only two dies, a CMR die and a seating die? The priming die isn't a part of the TL set and neither is the muzzle resizer and the expanding plug right?
    It doesn't look like all TL sets are full-length resizers or are they? It often appears that the expanding button on the decapping stem could be removed and that die be used with the hand tool or am I wrong? I've only seen one die that was marked FL and that was a .41 Mag sizer.
    I have a couple of TL die sets that are new in the flat pack in the little individual cartons. One has the decapper, the seater, a priming punch for the press and a J shell holder. So, how many TL die sets are FL sizers?

Boolit Master
    Don't know if it was in a "set" but there was a FL sizer in my TL for 38SPL when I got it but I size with a carbide and then finish loading with the TruLine.

Boolit Master

TL die sets are made up of two dies, CMR and bullet seater. This sets sometimes came with a priming post and J shell holder to fit the TL Jr press.

There were two types of CMR dies - 1st was the decapper and neck sizer these were provided with some of the 310 sets when Lyman eliminated the decapping die. - 2nd was the decapper with the sizing ball these are TL Jr dies, if you try them in a set of tong tool there is a good chance you'll have problems getting the sell out of the handles.

The early 310 die sets were 5 pieces - Decapping Die - MR Die - Expanding Plug Die - Bullet Seating Die - Priming Chamber
    (later 310 sets came with a CMR die with a built in decapping pin)

Some of the pistol/revolver calibers in the TL sets were indeed FL sizing dies, this was only for handgun calibers.
    The TL press wasn't built to handle FL resizing of rifle cases.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Just to keep the lyman confusion factor going -- I believe early tru-line sets were 4 dies, same as 310 dies -- decap, mr, expand and seat -- I have an old boxed set of 38-55 in that configuration -- Why else would the tru-line press be 4 station? -
    To add a bit more confusion there was also an e-z loader press that used 310/ tru-line dies plus a special 7/8" dia full length sizer that mounted from the bottom.
    my ha-penny

Boolit Master
    Some of your answers may be found here: https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/...ding_press.pdf

Looks to me to be 3 die sets & a powder measure. (Ideal#55 Powder measure in the bottom pic of the link below)., and perhaps in its' place a 310 tool, since the manuals also mentions the 310 tool priming chamber in the second sentence of the first paragraph which may take the station that the powder measure uses. Tthere is a priming setup included in the set, which is used from the bottom of the press & doesn't occupy any of the top plate holes, so that 310 tool might take one hole of the turret with 3 other dies..

In the manual they mention dies according to "letters", like die "R", die "S", & die "E" as examples. One has to read thru the instructions to sort out which ones are used dependent on "rifle" or "Pistol" usage & dies.

I just recently bought a TL Jr. and currently have the turret plate at a machinist friends shop to have it modified to fit the modern standard of 7/8-14 thread dies. Even though I am converting mine to modern use dies, I have been reading your posts due to that, & my interest in learning as much as I can about the TLJr. presses.

Thanks for any info you can share about these presses. I have read what I have found on the net, but am always interested in personal experiences with things that are new to me.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I have a T-L set for 222 (triple deuce) that has a FL sizing die, works quite well. I think I also have one for 22 Hornet, but it's lost in the "archeological dig" of my old shop. I know I have a T-L FL die for 30 carbine, so it's not just for pistols.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

There were two Tru-Line Jr. presses. The 1st. Model has single leverage and the 2nd. had compound leverage. Hangun dies made for the 1st. Model press and the 310 tool only had neck sizing due to low leverage dies. The 2nd. model could use FL sizing dies for the handgun calibers. I have these dies in 38 Special, 44 Special and 45 ACP.

Rifle dies for the 310 tool only neck size and you must expand the necks to receive the bullets with a separate die. Rifle dies for the Tru-Line Jr. also could only neck size but that the expanding ball and decapping rod as a single unit in the single die. The TLJ neck sizing die can be used with a 310 tool, if the decapping rod with expanding ball is removed.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.