RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Plunk Fail .45 a.c.p.

Boolit Man
    At what OAL will they pass? I have a 45 ACP mold that I seat at 1.130" It's the design of the bullet.

If one OAL won't work for all your guns them make up a dummy round for each load. Use that you adjust your seating die, takes all of 10 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    you using the wrong boolit its 1 r for revolvers need 2r or seat really deep to make them work
    I seat the 2R at 1.200" and runs great in all my guns.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here two pics of the same bullet (Lyman 452423..sized .452) loaded over the same powder charge (4.6/BE). The round on the left is the max length it can be seated in an unthroated (barrel with no freebore) and the one on the right is seated out for use in the same barrel after throating by Doug Guy.

The shorter round is somewhat "iffy" about feeding, while the longer rounds feeds through the pistol as slick as snot on a glass door knob. Hundreds of rounds a session without a bobble. The cases are FL sized, mouth expanded, bullet seated and taper crimped.

This is just a little visual about just how much throating helps cure feeding and other issues in the 1911 pistol. A pic of the pistol is included for free.

The so called "plunk test" is not very useful in a barrel so throated, as overall length ceases to be a problem until the round is to long for the magazine. The bullet in the pic could be seated out a smidge more and still chamber and pass the "plunk test", but the round would be too long for the magazine. This is a pretty extreme seating situation, but it works and works well for me. The handgun still feeds and fires all kinds of other cast bullets and factory ammo as slick as you please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frankenstein Colt small.jpg   IMG_1315.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 11-30-2017 at 05:37 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    PROBLEM RESOLVED…I THINK.

The Lee TL452-228-1R mold I have makes boolits too wide at the shoulder, for several of my pistols. A narrower taper is required. In a failed plunk test I used pliers to turn the bullet, which left marks in the sized area of the boolit shoulder just above the case mouth.

Additionally, I had repeatedly moved three of the die settings, which I’m sure contributed to my problems.

The remedy, for me is to buy the Lee TL452-228-2R mold, use the Lee TL452-228-1R mold for .45 Colt, and then look at 9mm and .38 Special molds.

DougGuy would have cured my problem, I know how great he is with guns, and with clients. But I believe the proper mold is the next step for me.

Many of the suggestions offered here were great. Because of you guys (and ladies, if any…to be politically correct…though it galls me) I will be casting. I have ordered 36 pounds of Lyman #2, and am creating my shopping list for molds, sizers, etc.

So, I will thank you all, I really do appreciate all of the input. The number of replies surprised me and proved what great members are in this forum.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234