Lee PrecisionADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & Sons
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationStainLess Steel Media

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting serious with 8x56r

Boolit Master
    I haven't shot the long rifle, but I can attest that Nazi 1938 ammo is brutal from the carbines! I chronographed and it's plenty hot for that old of a rifle and cartridge. The 8x56R is a very underated round. If you think about it and you have one that has a fat groove, you are very close to it being a 338 then a 323 groove for a 8x57. That's an impressive round.

I use to shoot wheelweight alloy and 50-50 alloy from mine and I shot the fattest bullets that would chamber. It shot cast exceptionally well. I did have to put a higher front sight on my carbine as it shot extremely high at 100 yards.

So if you fellows thing the long rifles can be unpleasant with that original ammo try shooting the carbine!!

Boolit Master
    I didn't notice anything "brutal" about the Nazi marked surplus ammo, 5 rounds chronoed an average of 2285 fps.

Recoil
    Input Data
    Charge Weight: 41.0 gr Muzzle Velocity: 2285.0 ft/s
    Firearm Weight: 7.0 lb Bullet Weight: 206.0 gr
    Output Data
    Recoil Velocity: 13.5 ft/s Recoil Energy: 19.9 ft•lbs
    Recoil Impulse: 2.9 lb•s
    06-Dec-17 16:07, JBM/jbmrecoil-5.1.cgi
    Last edited by swheeler; 12-06-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    Hell, I was there!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    So if you fellows thing the long rifles can be unpleasant with that original ammo try shooting the carbine!!
    -------------
    I can only imagine what the carbines are like with military ammo. My experience shooting same in my long rifle was enough for me. Changing to cast and appropriate charge of powder made firing it a lot more pleasant.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    -------------
    I can only imagine what the carbines are like with military ammo. My experience shooting same in my long rifle was enough for me. Changing to cast and appropriate charge of powder made firing it a lot more pleasant.
    I would have loved to tried that military in the full length rifle. I will take your word for it. You know both the cast and jacketed military are over 200 grains and when you get a bullet of that weight moving you have to pay some in recoil. Steel buttplates down help any either!

Boolit Man
    Ya all have to quit talking about these things. I may need to scrub the cosmoline out of the two I got and shoot them. I have a bunch of Nazi marked stuff but won't rather shoot some of my loads. Just not enough to time in the day. Should have bought a few more at $59 though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WJP View Post
    Ya all have to quit talking about these things. I may need to scrub the cosmoline out of the two I got and shoot them. I have a bunch of Nazi marked stuff but won't rather shoot some of my loads. Just not enough to time in the day. Should have bought a few more at $59 though.
    By all means, drag them out, clean them, and have fun. Remember that Nazi stuff has corrosive primers.

Boolit Man
    That's the reason I've been lazy. I have too many to clean now that haven't been shot with corrosive ammo. That and I'd rather load some of my own. It'll get done one day, might be by my son though.

I tried the Lee 338 mold a few years back with Trail Boss. Unsized, no gas check. The throat and neck in the carbine I was using is so big that the unsized .340 diameter bullet slides right in a fired case and the nose never touches the rifling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12