Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting large chunks of soft lead.

Boolit Buddy

Cutting large chunks of soft lead.

I came across a 42# chunk that looks like it was melted into a large can and then dumped out. It is cylindrical and about 10" in diameter. It is soft enough to scratch with your thumb nail with little pressure. Now to get it into usable pieces. I have an electric chain saw that could use a new chain, has anyone ever tried this?

My thought is use and axe and wedges ie:no lead sawdust flying everywhere! Wide wood chisel to finish cutting into small squares?

Bottom half of old propane tank,wood fire, melt lead, pour into ingots. Less work.

Boolit Master
    Chainsaw with a tarp under to catch the shavings, there will be quite a bit of shavings.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Careful with that chain saw! They grab and buck in soft stuff like that. I put the slab over the pot and use the prestolite torch to melt off bit by bit, important to get the whole slab hot first because the acetylene/air flame is hot enough to vaporize lead if you hold it in one place. Good luck!

Boolit Grand Master

The propane tank pot is the easiest way. One can be made from an out dated tank with a little work. for one time use simply build a coal or hardwood fire under it and a shop vac for a blower. Youll be surprised how fast it melts. A wind shield around it from concrete blocks helps a lot.
    Depending on thickness a sawsall, portable band saw, Even a heavy chisel and 4 lb hammer will work. On the saws use beeswax to lubricate the blade and keep it from loading up. Use a coarse blade and lube it good. A piece of fire wood 20-24" in dia and cured to set it up on will give it good support for the hammer and chisel to work best. The big thing is to work safe and not get hurt.

Boolit Master

I used a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) with a fairly coarse blade. Lubed with bar soap first, then just used a squirt can to shoot a bit of 30 weight in the kerf occasionally.
    I put a small tarp under it to catch shavings.

It worked well - I cut up a slab about 4" thick, 10" wide, and 2 1/2 feet long, in about 20 minutes.

Banned

42 lbs will fit in a 5qt dutch oven easily.
    i's just set it in the pot light the fire and use the propane torch to shape the edges to fit in the pot.

Boolit Master
    Hydraulic wood splitter. No shavings, no mess, no problem.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

Everybody has about covered the popular methods. I'm going to say that this might be a good excuse to go ahead and get a smelting set up big enough to handle that chunk. I you stay at this hobby long enough you will get stuff that large occasionally. Its nice to be able to melt it without a lot of work.

I also agree with the others, Be Careful if you use a powered saw.

Boolit Master
    Axie and sledgehammer would work, but is quite a bit of work. The propane tank and burner method is fine if you expect to do it again, but is also troublesome to do only once. The log splitter might be best if you have a log splitter. It's the same with a chainsaw, and the chips will alight in piles far more neatly than wood chips, due to their weight. Kicking back and rearranging your anatomy mostly happens when you aren't expecting it. But if it worries you, do it underneath a piece of two by four.

The one I don't like the idea of is the oxy-acetylene cutting torch. It will do the job quifckly and easily, but is locally far hotter than the danger level for an overheated lead point. I think there would be great danger spreading lead oxide ar-float fineness, which is far more dangerous than metallic lead.

Banned
    +1 Get an ugly 12" pot @ a thrift store.
    Safer than cutting and reusable for big smelts

another option...

An old fashioned 'limb saw' with a little wax in it's teeth will run through that Pb like 'buttah'...this is linotype I cut to exact weight for blending.
    You can't get in a hurry, if it wants to stick...either you are going too fast or pushing too hard or it needs another dose of wax, but it'll getterdone!

The best advise so far is to set yourself up with an adequate pot to smelt large batches and if you can get a lid for your pot, that'll speed things up too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

you probably will burn out the motor, they have no clutch.
    Whatever!

Log split once and then use Harbor Freight Dutch oven to melt each half One thing to remember is you can melt big chunk over a campfire or charcoal. Either in a pot of some sort or just setting on a bent or tilted piece of metal for the molten lead to run off of. Even if the molten lead just runs off one side into a puddle and you turn the plate it is on 4 times you will have 4 hardened puddles when you are done. Those puddles should be of a manageable size. A line of bread loaf pans next to steel sheet over fire grate that tips toward the pans will give you 3 ingots at approx. 15 lbs. each. Or into a piece of channel or a ditch dug with a trowel. When you re-melt those smaller dirt mold pigs in a pot the dirt will rise and float on top of the molten lead for skimming off.

My first choice would be buy the Harbor Freight Dutch oven, good price and should get years of use out of it. The 40# can chunk might even just fit right into it.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

uh 45 pounds is not a "large chunk" IMHO you need to add another zero on the right end.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks to all who replied, SWMBO has flowers growing in an old Harbor Freight Dutch Oven, now that the flowers have died, she may not even notice it has been used. Also thanks on the new to me knowledge about no clutch in an electric chain saw, even though it was cheap, I would hate to ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Hydraulic wood splitter. No shavings, no mess, no problem.
    I love it! I just learned something new, thanks!

I put my big cheese wheel of lead in the shop vise. I position a propane torch to melt it like candle wax into my Lee furnace. I work on other projects within a few feet in case something goes askew.
    It requires moving the flame every 15 min or so.

Boolit Master
    Weed burner works great on any size chunk of lead. Slow to get started but it goes fast once you get it to dripping into a pot or mold.
    Cheap and simple plus good for many things.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast