Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rechamber 308 Norma Magnum to 300 Win Mag?

Boolit Master

Rechamber 308 Norma Magnum to 300 Win Mag?

I found an orphan rifle built on a '03 Springfield action in a laminated stock. It must have been done a while back when that cartridge was popular and sacrificing '03 Springfields were no big deal. The action is Remington with a serial number in the millions. The barrel is perfect.

Is running a 300 Win Mag reamer all that is required to rechamber it from 308 Norma Magnum to 300 Winchester Magnum? Or is there something else required that I'm not seeing? It's a belted cartridge. The dimentions of the 300 Win Mag are equal to or greater than the 308 Norma pretty much everywhere....all of this work would be done by a genuine gunsmith.

I may ultimately consider returning it to its pre-molested glory but that is not an inexpensive proposition.
    [

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    The first question is: "why" ?

It's really an 03A3, sacrificing one is no big deal.

You need to get SAAMI specs on both, chamber cast yours and compare with GREAT care.

Not a bad idea for the cost of a finish reamer BUT brass, dies and loading data for the Norma are no problem.

Also has a much greater "cool factor" than the winnie.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post

The first question is: "why" ?

I would think that, for someone who doesn't want to reload (there are many such folks who own firearms), .300 Win Mag ammo is more widely available than for the .308 Norma Mag.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

If I remember right, yes you can re-chamber a 308 Norma to 300 Win. mag. using a finish reamer to remove the needed metal. Will give you a rifle where you can find the ammo a lot easier and at a better price.

Boolit Master
    Let's face it, one of the reasons the rifle is so cheap is because it's chambered in 308 Norma Magnum. I already shoot lots of 300 Win Mag and really don't need ballistically idetical cartridge. Or I could choose to keep it and return the action to its '03 Springfield roots...gives me options I don't have if it's a 308 N/M.

Anyway, that's the way it looks from my end.
    [

Banned

The 308 Norma is a very good cartridge and gives up little to the 300 Win Mag. It has a longer more preferable neck. It's also better suited to the 30-06 receiver. No big deal to form brass for it and if were me I'd just let it be.

Boolit Master
    If work was done to the receiver to make it feed magnum cartridges it may not be possible to go back to the original caliber.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    The 308 Norma is a very good cartridge and gives up little to the 300 Win Mag. It has a longer more preferable neck. It's also better suited to the 30-06 receiver. No big deal to form brass for it and if were me I'd just let it be.
    I'm with you. I've been shooting it since the early 70's in a Voere rifle factory chambered for the Norma Mag. Brass can be formed from numerous belted mags but the easiest is with 338 Win. Just simply run the 338 brass through a 308 Norma Mag sizing die.

Boolit Buddy
    I been shootin 338 win mag brass out of a Norma Mag for years it's just a tad bit shorter in the neck after it's fire formed, but my Smith that builds 1000yd bench guns said the only problem you might run into is if you go back to Norma brass, which is longer in the neck,there might be a carbon build up in the chamber just forward of the shorter 338 brass that might have to have a good cleaning with carbon solvent and a brush. This could cause a pressure issue if you force a Norma round in the chamber. No way would I put a reamer in it,if it shoots OK.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crappie-hunter View Post
    I been shootin 338 win mag brass out of a Norma Mag for years it's just a tad bit shorter in the neck after it's fire formed, but my Smith that builds 1000yd bench guns said the only problem you might run into is if you go back to Norma brass, which is longer in the neck,there might be a carbon build up in the chamber just forward of the shorter 338 brass that might have to have a good cleaning with carbon solvent and a brush. This could cause a pressure issue if you force a Norma round in the chamber. No way would I put a reamer in it,if it shoots OK.
    I never ran into that problem but I'm not shooting a thousand yard target rifle. I've found that by the second or third time the 338 neck grows to the same length as the Norma brass. The difference is apx 1/8 to 3/16's at best. At least in my factory chambered rifle. There is a good deal of free bore before the slug engages the rifling and never had a problem.

Have to admit I was tempted to punch it out to 300 after seeing the Norma Ammo at $99.00 per box.

Buy it, mark up the price a bit, and offer it on S & S. It may be just what someone is looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have owned at least one 300 win for the last 25-30 years ,.... but consider the 308 Norma the more perfect round at least for the loading and shooting I do . I would have to try her out first .

Boolit Master
    Have a 308 Norma Mag rifle. Have had it for a lot of years. The rifle was a 30/06 conversion I got at a good price. Purchased the reloading dies and 100 pieces of new brass when I got the rifle years ago. Shoot ever now and then, an accurate shooting rifle. Back in time there were a lot of the 308 Norma conversions done before the 300 Win came into production. A lot of gunsmiths did the conversions to make a 30 caliber magnum rifle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I have owned at least one 300 win for the last 25-30 years ,.... but consider the 308 Norma the more perfect round at least for the loading and shooting I do . I would have to try her out first .
    I agree with you and anothe good round is the 358 Norma Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    I agree with you and anothe good round is the 358 Norma Magnum.
    Yes owned both in Schultz and Larsen rifles. Very accurate and would kill any NA game.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    Yes owned both in Schultz and Larsen rifles. Very accurate and would kill any NA game.
    A now deceased friend had a very successful business, airplane and the financial means. Traveled all over the Western Hemisphere hunting with his 358 Norma rifle.

Boolit Master
    I don't get it. Someone took an '03 Springfield and cut it up for the action. The 308 N/M is a great cartridge no doubt but the world is full of great cartridges that are now orphaned and this is one of them. If I can bring the rifle back to some usefulness by having a gunsmith run a 300 Win Mag chamber reamer in it I don't see why this is an issue. It's not like this is some sort of socially signifigant rifle/cartridge combo.
    [

Banned

Did you already purchase this rifle? If so sell it here and use the money for something else???

I doubt the 03A3 was "cut up". back when that was a popular conversion as there was no 300 WinMag, 03A3s were available and cheap. A little boltface, extractor, magazine rail work, combined with rechambering and you were good to go.

The only alternatives then were a 721 or M 70 in 300 H&H or big bucks for SAKO or Magnum Mauser in 308 Norma or 300 H&H.

Norma and HTM make factory ammo for the 308 NM. If you are just a hunter, buy 5 boxes and you can be planted with some. If you are a handloader, some feel it's a better design than the 300 WM. Components and dies are easily obtained.

Tell you one thing, a SAKO FN or Schultz and Larsen in 308/358 Norma is worth far more than a new 70/700 300 Winmag.

The 308 Norma is not the 22 Velo Dog.
    Last edited by lucifers; 11-30-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Boolit Master
    If you are a reloader, and I assume you are since you are visiting this forum, then the 308 Norma should not be a problem for you. Easily made from some currently abundant cases and reasonably priced dies come up all the time on Ebay and other auction sites. A Springfield in 308 Norma is a bit of a classic and I see no real reason to convert it to Win Mag.

Just an aside, Simpson's on occasion lists a number of Husqvarna and other Swedish Sporters for sale. The rather uncommon Norma Mags are priced well above the other calibers and you had better call quick when you see one listed.....YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast