Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS SWC/Super Redhawk

Boolit Master

RCBS SWC/Super Redhawk

Years ago before I even had a rifle to deer hunt with I bought a Super Redhawk and RCBS Partner press kit to load with. Soon thereafter I whacked my first deer with a Remington bullet. Afterwards I got I to casting. One of my first molds was an RCBS SWC gas check bullet. I worked up a 296 load using a 6 part WW to 1 part linotype alloy. After changing out the 2x Leupold for a 4x I never really hunted with it until recently.

Speed forward a while and I had this little fella walk from downwind directly under my stand and stopping about 20 feet away. I call it a suicide deer. He musta been deaf, dumb, and blind. Anyway he was waaaaay to close for the 4x scope. All I saw was hair so I dropped down the the bottom of his chest, went to the back of the front leg and went up from there. Everything happened in less than 5 seconds. At the shot he didn't act like he was hit. He ran directly back the way he came and stood with a large tree in front of his chest at 72 yards. So I could do was watch thru the scope. Finally I saw him sway so I knew he was hit but didnt know where. When he took a step forward and exposed his chest I let another one fly causing him to drop. When I got to him he was still alive. Another one finished him off. 2 bullets did not exit. I didn't try to look for them. Wish now that I had. It is my 4th deer with a pistol, 3rd with my cast bullets, and best deer overall.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

Beau looks like you did right well for yourself. Nice wide rack and lots of meat. I don't know how your bigger bucks do in the "good meat" department. Here they are not as tasty as a doe or smaller buck. We still eat them but they are not quite as good. Your Super Redhawk is a very nice one. Being this is your fourth handgun deer kill I'd say you have reason to brag on yourself. Personally I have never taken a deer with a handgun. My hats off to you for a job well done.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Dang fine job...

Nice buck
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Cool ! I'm in the process of getting an older blued Redhawk with a 2x Leupold into the fold of deer killers . Have a Contender 10" 44 with a Bushnell 2-6 also . At the moment I'm working on loads with the Castboolits 434-207GC , Lyman 429215 and the RCBS 44-225 SWC .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    Good going!

Boolit Grand Master
    nice deer congrats
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

That's what I hunt with, An old Redhawk with a Leupold m-8 2x. I use the Lee 430-310 bullet. Never recovered a bullet.

Boolit Buddy

Good job Beau, that will be a fine eating deer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    That's what I hunt with, An old Redhawk with a Leupold m-8 2x. I use the Lee 430-310 bullet. Never recovered a bullet.
    I've plunked a fair amount of deer with home cast bullets over the last 15 or so years . And I NEVER recovered a bullet until last season and that was an LBT 431-280GC from a 444 rifle going a pretty good clip . And then this year I recovered a NOE/RD 432-240GC HP also shot from a 444 rifle at a pretty decent clip .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Banned

That's a nice buck. I like to hunt from tree stands and get them very close too.