Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate 45-70 with cast under $1000?

Most accurate 45-70 with cast under $1000?

Who makes the most accurate 45-70 rifle for shooting cast boolits for under $1000?
    I don't care if single shot or lever gun.

Now Taz,,, you know very well there is no meaningful answer to this question, all you will get is everyones opinions.

Do a search as to how many different companies make anything in .45-70. About the only 2 outfits that make a .45-70 that is less than a $Grand are Marlin and Henry. Either one is good.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    T/C encore is a good option also. You are asking a loaded question on best accuracy, you will get opinions on every make and model

I am expecting lots of opinions. After they all get done posting, I will tally them up and see who the favorites are.

Boolit Master
    My guess is that there is at least as much difference between individual rifles as there is between models and brands.
    Most Accurate I ever saw was a buddies Siamese Mauser with a Douglass XX bbl, and a Bishop stock. He had it done up back in the 70's for way less than 1 G.
    I have a Marlin Guide Gun without the porting. It will do better than 3" at 100 yds with cast and about half that with jacketed. Good enough for my purposes.

Based on the ones I have used over the years I'll go with the 95 Marlin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    They aren’t under a 1000 any more, but the Browning run of 1886 rifles are very accurate. Might find a used one for around a grand.

For current production rifles the only thing I would consider is a Henry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    A Ruger No. 1 is hard to beat, although with "Ruger No. 1" loads, it will beat you to death.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    If I had to go out and buy a new rifle in 45-70, it would be an Encore. You can buy a used H&R 45-70 Buffalo Classic for way less than a grand.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Bub
    Ruger No.3 would be my choice. (used)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    If I had to go out and buy a new rifle in 45-70, it would be an Encore. You can buy a used H&R 45-70 Buffalo Classic for way less than a grand.
    And if you are shooting with iron sights, the longer sight radius on the H&R Buffalo Classic will be an advantage. It has a 32" barrel. I've read that some people put a receiver mount peep sight on it to make it even better. I wanted one at one time, but stumbled across a Thompson Encore and went with it instead, but I definitely wish I had the longer Buffalo Classic barrel.
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 11-30-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Best bang for the buck.....H&R Buffalo Classic.

Boolit Master
    Interestingly enough, the guys are getting some really tight groups using the CVA single shot 45-70's. They have been reporting groups of 1.25 inches or better at 100 yards with them. It seems to like bullets in the 350 to 405 grain range. But I agree my best shooting 45-70 rifle was a Saimese Mauser I had converted. It was almost a tack driver. You could get it to make one big ragged hole at 100 yards on a good day. Now then another rifle I had was a Italian made replica Remington Rolling Block rifle. It turned out to like 400 to 500 grain bullets too.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Who makes the most accurate 45-70 rifle for shooting cast boolits for under $1000?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/722317158
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/722372083

These have as fine a barrel as comes on a production rifle and are a very good value. A few more hundred and get a nicer model Rolling Block.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    tazman - I own four 45-70 single shots priced from $3200 down to $1000 and one more that cost me used $395
    The El Cheapo is the H&R 45-70 Buffalo Classic
    When I didn't know squat about BPCR shooting, I took the H&R with 20 rounds to the range for my maiden shoot. It was loaded with a Postell 535gr bullet and Triple Seven. After 15 shots at 100yds getting my vernier setting I had 5 rounds left. So I went over to our club's 600yd range and cranked the vernier up to 153 MOA. It was hot as hell that day and the mirage was running like the Mississippi River. I fired the 5 rounds on the 600yd paper target. Couldn't see any holes with the spotting scope, so 2 club members and I went down to the pit
    ... in the 7 ring, the 5 shot group was 3.50 x 1.25" with 3 holes that could be covered by a silver dollar!
    Needless to say, I almost wet my pants. I have also shot the H&R out to a 48 x82" silhouette of a buffalo at 1000yds and put many lead splashes in a 10" circle on Homer.
    Later found out the H&R barrels were made by Green Mountain
    This is the rifle you want to buy (used for about $450 now) and put a vernier sight on it!

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...uffalo+classic
    Last edited by John Boy; 11-30-2017 at 11:40 PM.
    Regards
    John

That is a very powerful recommendation. Thanks for posting.
    I am familiar with Green Mountain barrels and also Pedersoli barrels from black powder shooting years ago.

Boolit Master

I noticed a Siamese Mauser that had been converted to .45-70 on Armslist the other day for just shy of $1K. Or maybe it was TexasGunTrader...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    tazman - Pedersoli barrels are 'match grade'. Only problem none of their 45-70 rifles are under a $1000.
    I did, once, make out like a tall dog. Cabelas was unloading the Pedersoli Competition models they had for $999.95 - the deal of the century. The Competition's now are special order to Pedersoli for $2,245 - French gray. Click on image to view it larger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S795b.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	208786
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-02-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    Regards
    John

That is a very nice rifle. You are correct that $2245 is more than I am wanting to spend.

Boolit Master

I have a Marlin 1895, an Encore, a Buffalo Classic, and a Shillen barreled Siamese Mauser all in 45-70. Would sell any one of them for under $1,000.00 FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast