Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People!!!

People!!!

I'm on the timid side so have a hard time with situations like this. When I went to the rock quarry to do some shooting there was a group of people just packing up that had toddler and a dog there. I don't know if the child had hearing protection but was inside a fence. I've never heard of hearing protection for dogs. Made me feel like useing those people as targets. Is there a way or anything can be done about people like this?
    Dean

Boolit Master

Some people are just inconsiderate or don't think. As a result others suffer.
    Name the situation and they are there.
    One of the sad parts of life.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I've seen folks bring a dog to a range or shoot and think it's cruel and stupid. A toddler? Let's hope they had the decency to use some sort of ear pro.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    MYOB. They might be crazies.

Boolit Master

I sure hope they had the minimal intelligence to protect the little one's hearing. Little ears are sensitive and can be permanently damaged.

A little off topic, but we had a dog when I was growing up, a beautiful collie, that just wouldn't stay away from gunfire. Anytime I went to target shoot on the back 40 I had to remember to tie her up, or she would hear the gun fire and come running looking for something to chase. I remember one time getting done shooting a few rounds from the bench with a 30-06, then looking down to see her sitting right in front of the bench, wagging her tail with an excited look in her eyes. I felt absolutely terrible. She must have been about deaf. My sister had seen her tied up at the house and let her loose.

Boolit Master

Kinda suck if somebody told me to leave my rabbit dog at home.
    Even worse if I had to leave my upland bird dog at home.
    I can't retrieve as well as I used to.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Seen people take a dog to the range or shooting . Foolish thing to do , wrong thing to do . Their hearing is more sensitive than ours .
    No turning back , No turning back !

I generally mind my own business. I dont like confrontation. Seems a lot of folks dont mind however and take it upon themselves to have something to say about what others do. Other folks' kids and dogs are not my business and unless I witnessed actual abuse I would keep my nose out of it. Id have to witness something pretty bad before i'd consider stepping in and saying something or calling the law. I dont tell others how to raise their kids and dogs, even if I dont like how they are doing it, and I certainly wouldnt want anyone telling me how to raise my dogs (no kids yet).

You might could have called the law on them and gotten CPS involved, by why? I find it better to say a prayer over the matter and let it be.

Sometimes I take my boxer with me when I shoot clays. I make her sit about 15 yards behind and slightly left so I can see her over my left shoulder. She likes going with me.

Boolit Master
    I generally have extra safety equipment, and I’d offer it to them if I saw that anyone in the group was not properly equipped.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoBeanCounter View Post
    I'm on the timid side so have a hard time with situations like this. When I went to the rock quarry to do some shooting there was a group of people just packing up that had toddler and a dog there. I don't know if the child had hearing protection but was inside a fence. I've never heard of hearing protection for dogs. Made me feel like useing those people as targets. Is there a way or anything can be done about people like this?
    Dean
    Just leave it be, you didn't see them shooting so you don't know if the dog and kid had been on the line or in the car. You never know they may even have just been picking up brass or mining lead!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

You could have walked up and said hey what kind of hearing protection you have for your kid. I have been looking all over for something good for my kid. As for the Dog ....well whatever its just a dog. Not worth an argument.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    They definitely do make dog earpro ("Mutt Muffs", "Pro Ears") and eyepro ("Doggles")

Some dogs just do LOVE gunfire though; One girlfriends' Irish Setter would tear her vehicle apart if left in the car while we shot even .22 as she knew there were game birds out there to go gather! Another friend's dog was just a CHARACTER, he didn't retrieve but he'd go run up to the targets when not restrained, silly beastie. So he got locked away from the range a lot.

Other dogs are not so much thrilled, though (Gal I know's dog was phobic of fireworks, some herbal calming stuff she found and a pair of dog earpro and he was just fine, sitting next to her while we watched the fireworks.)

Educating and asking them might have gone over well, some people don't seem to ever think, but if you come across as harsh or judging that almost guarantees "a scene", I'd ask "where in the world did you find ear protection that fits your kidlet?" or something like that. And if they get grumpy, well, it's on their head, not yours. As my father had lost almost all his hearing from not using earpro, I am somewhat of an earpro fanatic, have to protect your ears to keep them working.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    Kinda suck if somebody told me to leave my rabbit dog at home.
    Even worse if I had to leave my upland bird dog at home.
    I can't retrieve as well as I used to.
    Retrieve, I can't even find them without my Springer.

Banned

yep.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flyn.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	208513

Boolit Master
    "A man ought ta do what he thinks is best" - "Hondo" Lane.(John Wayne)

Considering that someone who is concerned about the future health of others including kids & dogs, might want to consider all of the other things that people do & would someone feel appropriate commenting to those others about what they are doing or about to do, as well...??

Personally, if it appears to me to not be something that is extremely dangerous, nor involving friends or family, or co workers, etc., I generally leave things alone when folks are doing, or about to do, something that could cause them harm. I could give examples, but if one thinks about it one can come up with scenarios on their own. A good question to ask oneself might be, "How would "I" react to someone saying something about it to me?", before acting on it, if ya can.

Not too far off from, "Do onto others, as you would have done onto you", I reckon...

G'luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

There is a local fellow I know, a boolit caster infact, he has lurked here [castboolits] as a guest (so he told me), but I don't believe he has ever registered here. Anyway, every time I've come to the range when he is there, he has his dog. The dog is well trained,sits by him while shooting, runs around loose when the shooting stops. I don't like having a loose pet at the range, I've never shot when he is is there with his dog. I've never said anything, because I get the gut-feel that he is not the kind of guy to listen to advice about his dog, so I just avoid the situation...if he is there with a loose dog, I just don't shoot til he leaves.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    last week I was at the local range when a family with two teen boys showed up to shoot. They had a 30-06. None of them had ear protection. BUT-- when the father fired the first round, both teen boys went to the restroom and got tissue paper and stuffed it in their ears! With all the loud music popular with teens it was nice to see they had the good sense to do what their father was not doing. Maybe there's hope for the younger generation yet.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I remember a time when folks just minded their own business.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    I won't take Timber to the range. I won't go get in someone's face about it, but if it's negligent to expose a child to close-by shots without hearing protection, it's also negligent to expose an animal. Hunting is an exception, the exposure is very limited.

runfive, I really like the doggy earmuffs.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

World is full of idiots. Couldn't care much less 'bout most of them and ****ed if I'd say a single word to try "correct" any of the people you encountered. Or anybody else, for that matter.
    I'm not cynical, I just understand there are lots of folk who don't deserve advice and fewer who want to accept unsolicited advice.

Now they have a deaf dog AND a stupid kid. Nobody's business but theirs......
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 11-27-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Language
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast