Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A .50-70 Govt. Ballard!

A .50-70 Govt. Ballard!

I advised a friend on buying this Marlin Ballard #4 Perfection about 4 years ago. I wanted it badly, but it was his deal so I couldn't interfere. I did tell him if he ever parted with it I wanted first chance to get it!
    About 4 months ago he called and asked if I was still interested, and of course I was! Because of his health issues it took 4 months to complete the deal, and those were very tough months, as I was sure the deal would fall apart at any time! This morning he brought it to our local collector gun show and I finally bought it.
    According to John Dutcher's book on Ballard history, "Early catalogs list the #4 in .40-70, .44-77SBN, and .50-70 Government. But these three calibers were fast becoming obsolete and it's doubtful many were produced in those calibers."
    I've never seen another in this caliber, and would agree with John's thoughts on how scarce the .50-70 Govt. caliber is!

This Ballard is a 3 digit serial number 59X and is typical of many early JM Marlin Ballards in that it uses some leftover parts from the previous Brown Mfg. Co. rifles. The receiver and wood are Marlin, but that's all. The lever, hammer, trigger, and buttplate are from the Brown Mfg. company parts given to Marlin by Schoverling & Daley. And the barrels are even more unique! Marlin did not make .50 caliber barrels, so they sent a note to Sharps Rifle Co. and ordered some of their .50 caliber barrels. So this Ballard has Sharps rifling style, and not Ballard style! Just another unique part of this #4 Perfection!

Barrel is a heavy 30" full octagon.

Forged receiver with Brown hammer. Rear sight is strangely engraved, and may be another item from a deluxe Brown rifle?

Short Brown trigger and reverse loop lever:

Some early Marlin Ballards had a pin in the frame to match the Brown lever, but they were inconsistent and this one doesn't. My other #4 is serial #48X and it has both pin and lever with hole.

The gun shows signs of a lot of carrying across a saddle, as the bottom of the forearm is well worn, and not much finish on the metal. But the action is as tight as I've ever seen on a Ballard, and the bore is perfect! I found a new box of Bell brass in .50-70 Govt., so once I slug the bore and order some bullets, I'll load up a box and take it for a spin!

Boolit Buddy
    Sweet rifle!

Boolit Master

don't get hurt ! send that to me for proper testing

Boolit Master

One of my favorite jug-busting cartridges, in that you can take the shot, crack open a soda as the smoke clears, and be settled back and three sips in before impact. . .which you can also hear, because the muzzle blast is a distant memory by then. Recommend you find a mold with a big ugly meplat.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    One of my favorite jug-busting cartridges, in that you can take the shot, crack open a soda as the smoke clears, and be settled back and three sips in before impact. . .which you can also hear, because the muzzle blast is a distant memory by then. Recommend you find a mold with a big ugly meplat.
    I'll probably try to start out buying some bullets before I consider getting a mold. I do love to have a mold for every caliber, but until I've fired this one a little and see how it feels, I don't want to buy a mold.

And since I own almost exclusively Ballard and Remington single shot rifles, this Ballard with it's factory Sharps barrel will give me a taste of how a Sharps .50-70 shoots!
    It's interesting to see the difference in how Sharps did their rifling vs. Marlin's Ballard rifling. Sharps is shallower, with different width lands and grooves. Definitely very much different than what I'm used to seeing in a Ballard.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I'll probably try to start out buying some bullets before I consider getting a mold. I do love to have a mold for every caliber, but until I've fired this one a little and see how it feels, I don't want to buy a mold.
    I expect it'll end up being a custom cut job, to be sure.

I've got to state a mild degree of envy here. I've shot the round in a trapdoor and a rolling block; the notion of that low speed thumper in a much sleeker Ballard or High Wall is tantalizing. . . My little kid brain wants to equate it to a REALLY upscaled .22 Short Winder Musket - as youths, we experimented with different plinking targets just to learn what the bullet would do to them. .50's just make you want to revisit the concept.
    WWJMBD?

I expect it'll end up being a custom cut job, to be sure.

I've got to state a mild degree of envy here. I've shot the round in a trapdoor and a rolling block; the notion of that low speed thumper in a much sleeker Ballard or High Wall is tantalizing. . . My little kid brain wants to equate it to a REALLY upscaled .22 Short Winder Musket - as youths, we experimented with different plinking targets just to learn what the bullet would do to them. .50's just make you want to revisit the concept.
    I almost never buy cast bullets, as I have 4 dozen molds. But I decided to first see what the gun likes, so this morning I ordered some 365 gr. .512" bullets after slugging the bore and finding it is almost .511". I also have some bullets a friend sent me that are 500 gr. and @.515", but his mold must be out of round. I measured them at the parting line and 90 degrees off and got .515" and .519"! So I will also need to buy a .512" sizer for my Lyman lubrisizer and run his through first to get them concentric, and closer to the size I need.
    Have the bullets, dies, and some more brass coming in a week. Midway had free shipping on orders over $99 today, so took advantage of that and ordered enough to save the $11 shipping.

Did a complete disassembly and deep cleaning today! Probably never been apart before from what I saw! I got it cleaned up, and then dug out an old Ballard midrange tang sight I had with matching patina. Had to drill out the plug screws with a left hand drill bit and they unscrewed when I got them almost drilled out! Love those left hand drill bits!!

Boolit Master

Starline makes good and affordable 50-70 brass also.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Did a complete disassembly and deep cleaning today! Probably never been apart before from what I saw! I got it cleaned up, and then dug out an old Ballard midrange tang sight I had with matching patina. Had to drill out the plug screws with a left hand drill bit and they unscrewed when I got them almost drilled out! Love those left hand drill bits!!
    Two thumbs up for this rifle. If I was its custodian, I would find it almost irresistible to keep from shooting it now and then. Maybe a date with a mule deer too.
    I know not everyone hunts, but I do, and a load of Fg and a copy of the Govt. bullet.... The rifle might enjoy it and much as me!

Very nice!
    Chill Wills

sweet ole thumper

Boolit Master

Tang sight. . .you clever boy!

The trajectory is such that you should be able to lock on for two reasonable distances and probably not have the rear barrel sight dirty up the sight picture for the tang mounted one.

You are headed for an obscene amount of fun. A key element of .50-70 enjoyment is to get in the habit of saying "Waaaait for it" immediately after pulling the trigger.
    WWJMBD?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Starline makes good and affordable 50-70 brass also.
    Yes, I ordered more Starline brass from Midway with my bullet and dies order.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Two thumbs up for this rifle. If I was its custodian, I would find it almost irresistible to keep from shooting it now and then. Maybe a date with a mule deer too.
    I know not everyone hunts, but I do, and a load of Fg and a copy of the Govt. bullet.... The rifle might enjoy it and much as me!

Very nice!
    Your thoughts mirror mine. Since the Ballard is not a high finish gun, I have no problem taking it out hunting, and occasional shooting. Sure don't want to break it, but I doubt that will happen with good loads.

Tang sight. . .you clever boy!

The trajectory is such that you should be able to lock on for two reasonable distances and probably not have the rear barrel sight dirty up the sight picture for the tang mounted one.

You are headed for an obscene amount of fun. A key element of .50-70 enjoyment is to get in the habit of saying "Waaaait for it" immediately after pulling the trigger.
    I've never owned or fired a .50-70, and really hadn't ever had a desire to. But I've lusted after this particular Ballard for some time now, and I'm looking forward to the experience of shooting this gun in .50-70! I hope it's as much fun as you described, as it means I'll shoot it even more!!

I sure envy you your new acquisition. I have a .50-70 Govt. in a NY Militia Rolling Block with a perfect barrel, but with my love of Ballards I'd rather have yours!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

So... NEVER seen one of these before. Nor did I know of some of the history you mentioned. And then, low and behold, I drop into the LGS at lunch. "Got to show you this..." and another "...this..." Second this was a Ballard #5 Perfection that looks exactly like yours, albeit a slightly smaller bore - 45-70 - or 45 Govt as stamped on the top of the bbl flat! And has a double set trigger. VERY COOL! 5 digit serial #, estimated ~1881 or so. Bore looks pristine. Assume this one has the Ballard bbl (not Sharps) as it is in 45-70. And best part is, I might get to shoot it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3485.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	208615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3486.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	208616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3487.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	208617

Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    So... NEVER seen one of these before. Nor did I know of some of the history you mentioned. And then, low and behold, I drop into the LGS at lunch. "Got to show you this..." and another "...this..." Second this was a Ballard #5 Perfection that looks exactly like yours, albeit a slightly smaller bore - 45-70 - or 45 Govt as stamped on the top of the bbl flat! And has a double set trigger. VERY COOL! 5 digit serial #, estimated ~1881 or so. Bore looks pristine. Assume this one has the Ballard bbl (not Sharps) as it is in 45-70. And best part is, I might get to shoot it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3485.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	208615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3486.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	208616Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3487.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	208617
    A 5 digit serial number is just the beginning of figuring out the year. Prior to 1881 the receivers were marked "JM Marlin" and after 1881 they were marked "Marlin Firearms Co." So if that Pacific #5 is marked JM Marlin it's likely 1880 or 1881, but if it's Marlin Firearms, it's much later than 1881. Since you mentioned the caliber is marked on top of the barrel, I'm going to guess it's the latter Marlin Firearms Co. version, as most JM Marlin Ballards did not have a caliber marking.
    For some odd reason when Marlin incorporated in 1881 they started the serial numbers over again, so you can find Ballard rifles with either marking and the same serial number!
    If that Ballard has double set triggers and a wiping rod under the barrel, it is a #5, but a Pacific. The #4 was the Perfection, not the #5 which was the Pacific.
    All Marlin Ballards will have a Marlin barrel, with the exception of the .50-70, and a very few .44-77SBN barrels.

"If that Ballard has double set triggers and a wiping rod under the barrel, it is a #5, but a Pacific. The #4 was the Perfection, not the #5 which was the Pacific."

This one DEF has double set triggers AND a "wiping rod" (lol! - we called it a cleaning rod, ala muzzleloader!) under the bbl. So it is a Pacific! Thanx!

Cleaning rod or wiping rod are both acceptable. Just not a "ramrod" as I see some people calling them. When I bought my first Pacific at a local auction, the tag said, "Marlin muzzleloader"! It was a clock auction and only 4 or 5 guns for sale, so only me and another guy bidding to buy it. I love finding guns mismarked and at odd sales where those running them are clueless!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast