MidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2ADvertise hereStainLess Steel MediaTitan Reloading

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: TC Hawken .45

  1. #1
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190

    TC Hawken .45

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	208494


    We were at my wife's uncle for Thanksgiving. I was showing him the Marlin Model 36 that he had given me and I had cleaned up, refinished the stock and smoothed up. He was excited about it and asked what my next project was. I told him my fifteen year old son was really wanting us to put a MZ kit together. I told him I had been watching for a TC Hawken kit.

    He said I want to show you something. He brought out a 1972 TC Hawken that he bought when he was a youngster. He had loaned it out for a season a few years ago and got it back with a corroded and ruined barrel. He put a brand new 45 barrel on it and has never fired it since then. He Hunts with a TC Encore .50 MZ now so it is not being used.

    Then he handed it to my son and said to enjoy it. It is downright beautiful. Only a couple of minor scratches in the wood and none on the metal. I have never had a muzzleloader so I am trying to do all my research before we go and shoot it, He gave us some Hornady .440 Roundballs and 1 pound of Triple 7 FFG.

    Will T7 FFG be a good powder for shooting the Roundballs and what would a good starting load be. Need it nice and soft for my son to start with but accurate. Also what thickness of patches should we be using?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	208493  

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N. Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5,723
    If you want light loads to start off with, I'd start off with around 35gr. You could actually start out low as you want but he should be able to handle that easy. Work up with 5gr increments until you find where you want to be or best accuracy. 777 is a little harder to light so I'd also use magnum caps if you can find them. About a .015 patch would be a good place to start. Pop a couple caps on an empty gun before you load. It helps dry up any residual oil left in the gun. Run a couple cleaning patches with solvent or alcohol down the bore to clean out anything inside also. Have fun, that's what it is all about.
    Aim small, miss small!

  3. #3
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Thank you. That is all good advice and I️ really appreciate it. I️ will pick up some magnum caps. Should I️ pick up another powder for it or will the T7 be fine with the magnum caps?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quilcene, Washington
    Posts
    2,635
    I have two T/C 45's and both are exceptionally accurate with my own cast PRB in front of 55 gr of 3F Goex. I have no experience with Triple 7 and have never used anything but standard #11 caps. Both rifles have filled the freezer many, many times with venison (both mule deer and blacktail) using PRB by both me and my wife. You are very fortunate.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Eddie Southgate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Southern Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    212
    If you can't find the Magnum caps you can get a nipple that uses a musket cap from either Dixie Gun Works or Track Of The Wolf . It is the same 1/4-28 thread as the Thompson but uses the hotter musket cap . You can get the regular (looks like a little hat ) musket caps or one that looks like a regular cap but larger . I change to this setup on all of my TC Hawken rifles .

    Eddie
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

  6. #6
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    I have two T/C 45's and both are exceptionally accurate with my own cast PRB in front of 55 gr of 3F Goex. I have no experience with Triple 7 and have never used anything but standard #11 caps. Both rifles have filled the freezer many, many times with venison (both mule deer and blacktail) using PRB by both me and my wife. You are very fortunate.
    Thank you. I probably will pick up a pound of 3F Goex and give it a try too.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    If you can't find the Magnum caps you can get a nipple that uses a musket cap from either Dixie Gun Works or Track Of The Wolf . It is the same 1/4-28 thread as the Thompson but uses the hotter musket cap . You can get the regular (looks like a little hat ) musket caps or one that looks like a regular cap but larger . I change to this setup on all of my TC Hawken rifles .

    Eddie
    I did see that on Track of the Wolf last night. I am right by a Cabelas and they have a pretty good selection of BP stuff. If they do not carry the #11 magnums I may give that a try. I was wondering how that musket cap conversion worked. Thanks for letting me know.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master

    dondiego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Milan, MI
    Posts
    1,669
    Run the ramrod down the bore and determine that it goes all of the way to the breech to ensure that there is not anything in the bore. Then shoot a cap at a leaf or blade of grass. The leaf should move from the shot and will ensure that the nipple and chamber are clear. It is a pain to load and then find out that your nipple was too clogged to fire the charge. That scenario requires further procedures. Procedures that you will learn the first time that you load it without powder..........not if, but when.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Run the ramrod down the bore and determine that it goes all of the way to the breech to ensure that there is not anything in the bore. Then shoot a cap at a leaf or blade of grass. The leaf should move from the shot and will ensure that the nipple and chamber are clear. It is a pain to load and then find out that your nipple was too clogged to fire the charge. That scenario requires further procedures. Procedures that you will learn the first time that you load it without powder..........not if, but when.
    It is a new barrel that has never been fired but that is still good advice since it has been sitting in his shop standing in the corner for a few years.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master

    LUCKYDAWG13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    2,496
    Wow thats just Awesome I have one in 45 and in 50 I have not shot them in years so i wont give you a load but this may help you https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/...ken_Manual.pdf
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

  11. #11
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N. Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5,723
    I have never fired 777 but to have some. Just haven't tried it yet. I hear some others sometimes have trouble getting it to fire off at times and others have no problem. If you can real BP that is the best stuff and easiest to light. I have used Pyrodex without any problems. Remember BP and most subs are highly corrosive and need to be cleaned as soon as possible meaning same day fired. Some even like to clean in the field before taking home.
    Aim small, miss small!

  12. #12
    Boolit Master

    nicholst55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Daegu, Korea
    Posts
    2,705
    Being brand new to muzzle loaders, this is almost mandatory. Insert the ramrod into the empty barrel until it bottoms out. Mark a ring around the rod even with the muzzle with a Sharpie. This allows a dead nuts certain test to determine if the rifle is loaded or not. You may never need to conduct this test, but if you do, you are now prepared.
    'I have a feeling we're not in Kansas any more, Toto!' Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz.

  13. #13
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Wow thats just Awesome I have one in 45 and in 50 I have not shot them in years so i wont give you a load but this may help you https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/...ken_Manual.pdf
    Thank you. I️ downloaded it and will go over it thoroughly.

  14. #14
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    I have never fired 777 but to have some. Just haven't tried it yet. I hear some others sometimes have trouble getting it to fire off at times and others have no problem. If you can real BP that is the best stuff and easiest to light. I have used Pyrodex without any problems. Remember BP and most subs are highly corrosive and need to be cleaned as soon as possible meaning same day fired. Some even like to clean in the field before taking home.
    That will be the thing I️ have to learn immediately. To clean it thoroughly after I️ shoot it without waiting. I️ am going to try to shoot yo the 777. Thanks for the advice.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Being brand new to muzzle loaders, this is almost mandatory. Insert the ramrod into the empty barrel until it bottoms out. Mark a ring around the rod even with the muzzle with a Sharpie. This allows a dead nuts certain test to determine if the rifle is loaded or not. You may never need to conduct this test, but if you do, you are now prepared.
    That is a good idea. I️ will make sure I️ do it. Never can be too safe. Thanks for that.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quilcene, Washington
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Run the ramrod down the bore and determine that it goes all of the way to the breech to ensure that there is not anything in the bore. Then shoot a cap at a leaf or blade of grass. The leaf should move from the shot and will ensure that the nipple and chamber are clear. It is a pain to load and then find out that your nipple was too clogged to fire the charge. That scenario requires further procedures. Procedures that you will learn the first time that you load it without powder..........not if, but when.
    Amen to this. You should always do this just to make sure nothing is in the flash channel like a little oil. Sometime even this doesn't work so you have to develop a sense of humor when the deer is standing there laughing at you while you fumble for another cap.

  17. #17
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N. Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5,723
    A couple more beginner tips. Never fire you weapon without the projectile being fully seated on the powder. Do what it takes to get it in or you have to pull it out. If your gun fails to fire, keep popping caps, it will usually fire after one or two more firings but if it doesn't you can remove the nipple and sprinkle as much powder in the channel. I won't be much but it doesn't take much either.
    Aim small, miss small!

  18. #18
    Boolit Master KMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    190
    Thank you guys for all of the info. This forum is the best group of guys and gals in the world. Please keep the tips coming. I don't want to learn anything the hard way that I don't have to.

  19. #19
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    MT
    Posts
    1,180
    one more tip: the guy at Cabela's might not be the best expert on muzzleloaders to listen to, especially if he is trying to sell you something.

  20. #20
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N. Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    5,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    one more tip: the guy at Cabela's might not be the best expert on muzzleloaders to listen to, especially if he is trying to sell you something.
    +1 on that. I don't think they would intentionally steer you wrong but some don't realize a ML is a completely different animal. I've heard of them selling or trying to sell smokeless powder to someone wanting ML supplies.
    Aim small, miss small!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check