MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TC Hawken .45

Boolit Master
    I have to dig it out, but a couple years back I picked up a TC Hawken in .45 at a LGS that someone had built from a kit.
    But it looks like they never fired it.
    They did a decent job on it, and I intended on re doing the whole thing and Fancy it up a bit, sights and reshaping the stock to sharpen up the lines like on the cheek piece and the lock.
    I did take it out twice and shoot it, and I really like it.
    But other projects have got in the way for the time being, like rebuilding a .56 Smoothbore Renegade that I will send to Hoyt to get taken out to .58 or larger

My daughter started shooting my traditions "hawken" 50 when she was 12 or 13 .. I believe she was shooting 45-50 grains of Trip7 .. could handle 75 easily enough. But at the range just enjoyed the others more....if your son is "into" shooting I don't think making it shoot soft is going to be an issue at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    While 777 is noncorrosive the caps are not so don't let it sit overnight after use without wiping down the nipple and area around it including the hammer, then apply oil. The barrel can wait a while.
    Triple 777 is DEFINITELY corrosive, and no, percussion caps manufactured in the United States after 1975 are most DEFINITELY NOT corrosive. 777 is far less corrosive than Pyrodex and black powder but it will rot your barrel and lock work just the same. Enough "non corrosive" 777 gas got around the 209 shotgun primers in my breech plug in my CVA Optima Pro and into into the firing pin and spring area. I did not know I needed to take that apart when I cleaned it the first season I hunted with it. The next year, the firing pin and spring were so corroded up the pin did not move freely in the breech face. Took it all apart and cleaned them up and fine ever since. There has not been corrosive priming compounds used in small arms primers in the USA since the Korean War. As of this morning, the only 100% non corrosive black powder substitute available is Blackhorn 209.

Jeff
    A woman has the last word in any argument.
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Boolit Master

How far are you from Hobbs NM.? Y can get real black there. a dealer there has it (coonies goex)
    Last edited by wgr; 01-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I have both .45 hawkins PC and FL plus the .45 Patriot. I use shokeys gold exclusively. Easy to clean and fun to shoot.

Boolit Master

Corrosive caps.

Heck, what about the propellant?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123