Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I scored a new production unicorn gun!

Boolit Master

I scored a new production unicorn gun!

I have long awaited this since I caught wind of it more than a year ago...! I have wanted one badly since that moment.... It was the talk of the town, the "it" item this past Shot Show almost a year ago.... It's probably the most innovative/unique pistol design to come to fruition in ages....

Ladies & Gents, the long awaited, much anticipated Hudson H9 (generic photo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hudson_H9_Striker-Fired_9mm_Combat_Tactical_Pistol_8.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	208468

I'm almost beside myself that I got my hands on one! So far only one production run has occurred with 2000 examples made so with high demand, that spreads them pretty thin over the whole US! My friends can back up my claim of clamoring about getting one for some time. I put the bug in the ears of a number of my friends/FFL holders about trying to get one as I knew it would be a major task at best. Well low and behold, my USPSA club's home range just so happened to get 2 of the H9's sent in rather unexpectedly. Probably the only 2 in the state! Yesterday was our normal Friday night club match which was on black friday no less. The place was swamped too! I'm on good terms with the owners there and in passing I mentioned to them thet I heard the H9's were finally shipping and If they got one or can order one, count me in. He said we have 2 right now but they have been claimed and only 2000 were produced so far. I was defeated! But, he said, one is paid for already, the other was just a verbal intent to buy. The guy has until close of business to come pay for it. (we shoot till 9pm) So 8pm rolls around and he hadn't shown up, money talks and BS walks! I appreciate his tardiness and feel genuinely lucky that things panned out the way they did. Not many people have one of these pistols. The release of these guns was supposed to be many months ago but I found out that the owners of Hudson ran into a big debacle with the manufacture they were having build their design. They were given a quote of ------- amount to build them which they paid and later on the manufacture said they needed more money after the fact. Well it turned into a big court case and litigation and this all pushed the release till here a week or two ago. They finally made it happen but who knows, maybe the 2000 produced will be the only ones made? Hard to say.

My 1st impressions of the gun are of utter satisfaction and astonishment! The claims of the design are all true in my initial impression, it's a fantastic gun! The proprietors of the brand, a retired military husband & wife had a really neat story of how this gun came to be. They were both former collegiate bullseye shooters that had a love for the 1911. Neither wanted to be lifetime military and they wanted something else to forge on with and they chose to design firearms. They wanted a gun that had the best of the attributes of the 1911 but without some of the less desirable features but it had to be unique and innovative. They roughed out where they wanted to start on paper (here's a really cool part of this story) and they went to the 1st engineering team that had zero firearms related experience so that no previous notions of where things/features of a gun should be. Once that phase of design was completed, test guns made, etc, they took the initial design to firearms engineers to fine tune the design into the very unique gun you see above! That is the short of it but I highly recommend anyone with interest to check out the video links to the Hudson story below. Really neat stuff!

The Details:
    The gun is entirely made from forged steel. No polymer on this baby! It's chambered in 9x19, double stack, striker fired, and single action. It has a unique look due to the designed in, super low bore axis. It is certainly the lowest riding pistol I've ever held! The low riding bore made it a necessity to relocate the recoil spring and guide rod into the space in front of the trigger guard, giving it a unique look. It uses a Browning short recoil action but the camming surfaces are quite a bit different than anything else and much farther forward than other designs. They wanted the H9 to be a striker fired gun but with the feel of a crisp, light, straight back pull of a 1911 trigger. They executed this aspect very well! It does have a 2-piece drop safe type trigger with a bottom hinged trigger shoe that slightly presses into the trigger body to a linear, straight back pull to a light, crisp break and a very short, discernible reset. It features very svelte design and feel, super smooth & slick action, fine checkering on the front/rear strap, nice high beavertail, slender VZ G10 grips, and while it is an all steel gun, it doesn't feel too heavy in the hands. It has a wonderful balance and weight distribution that feels amazing. It is a double stack gun but it feels no bigger than a standard 1911 but with a better shape to the grip frame. It has a nice black, serrated rear U-notch sight and a Trijicon tritium front blade. The firing impulse is very subdued and flat, transferring most of the energy straight back with minimal vertical deviation. We were able to but the entire magazine into about a golfball size group at 10yds, offhand without any trouble. All in all, it's everything I've hoped for and more! So glad and fortunate to get one!

The whole story! Worthwhile stuff!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1LNq1x7-5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1LNq1x7-5E
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master
    I generally put my satisfaction and astonishment about any gun on hold until the gun has enough rounds through it to make it reasonable to conclude it is reliable. My commentary derives from the sole review I have seen wherein the user noted some functioning problems.

We shall see. I will have to take the reliability and shoot ability comments on faith as I am unlikely to shoot one myself anytime soon. Pardon the commentary please, as I am skeptical and not much of a beta tester by nature.

Boolit Master
    That is understandable, no knock against that. For me, this gun won't be a carry piece or defensive gun, at least as I see it now. It is purely for the enjoyment of shooting and admiring it as a piece in my collection. Thus far though it has performed 100%, nothing to note of in the way of dislikes. My excitement is primarily that it delivers what the design is supposed to, it feels excellent and shoots wonderfully!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned

looks cool. Personaly though id be a bit leary to buy something that might not even have a company behind it in couple months. it does have some very good attributes though.

I was hoping to see a new Colt SAA in 44-40 and 7.5" barrel. We all dream differently.

Boolit Grand Master

Call me underwhelmed.

Boolit Master
    Never heard of this gun. Sounds like it has lots going for it.
    How about the barrel, what twist? What kind of rifling? How’s it throated?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you're satisfied so that is great.

Personally I find all their marketing to be suspect. 1911 inspired design... you could tell me it has a Glock inspired design and I'd be more likely to believe you. I find it odd how they talk about using engineers that aren't gun people, but when listing the features of the gun they use all the popular pistol buzz words - low bore axis, browning short recoil action, VZ grips, etc.

It could be the best gun ever but their marketing totally turns me off. The magazine release looks like a 1911 from one side, the style of the grip screws could pass for 1911, and the trigger looks like a Glock and 1911 hybrid. Other than that I don't see it.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on your new pistol. It's easy to see that you're excited to have it and happy with its performance so far. I've never heard of the Hudson H9. Being striker fired, it probably wouldn't be my first choice for a range gun, but that doesn't matter because it's your gun.

One of the best things about this board is that we get to learn from and share the experiences of the members here. I'm learning again today, and I hope to learn more about this pistol. May you enjoy it for a long time and shoot it well, and please keep us informed as your experience with it increases.

Uncle R.

Banned

Haven't you ever held a HK P7? It has a just as low bore centerline.

Glad you found your unicorn! Keep us informed how it's doing.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Haven't you ever held a HK P7? It has a just as low bore centerline.
    I haven't, it's a gun id love to try out but due to rarity and cost, I doubt it unless I sought one out.
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I'm very satisfied with the H9, and true, that's what counts. Different strokes for different folks right? The guys I shoot with a tough critics to please, most shoot very expensive 2011's, Tanfoglio's, CZ's etc, etc. The guys that have handled it and shot it were impressed which is no small feat. I m not trying to sell them to you all by any means, just happy on my end of the interweb over here and thought I'd share the story. Its not that well known of a firearm yet. Tough crowd over here I guess!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If it makes you happy, that is all that matters. I dropped $1030.00 on an NIB Browning Hi-Power earlier this year when I could have gotten a nice used one for half that. Why? Because I have wanted one since I was a little kid and knowing I am the first owner of that particular 2016 production pistol makes it that much sweeter.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If it makes you happy, that is all that matters. I dropped $1030.00 on an NIB Browning Hi-Power earlier this year when I could have gotten a nice used one for half that. Why? Because I have wanted one since I was a little kid and knowing I am the first owner of that particular 2016 production pistol makes it that much sweeter.
    Sounds about right to me! I can sympathize with your experience, it makes you warm and fuzzy inside!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, yeah, we are a tough crowd. But consider the fact it is likely "soft shooting" in large part because it is substantially heavier than a plastic pistol, costs a lot more than a plastic pistol, and has a big bulky blob on the front end that makes it as bulky and heavier than a plastic pistol with a light. This blob also precludes mounting a light without making it look double pregnant.

The super innovative hype and odd design has downsides. A number of additional reviews I have read (happy to provide links) do not glow with praise as much as the ad copy does.

Reality often lands with a thud.

I don't understand what niche this pistol fills? Seems like it's to big for CCW, to heavy for LEOs
    Military is past steel pistols for expense reasons if nothing else, it would have to go aways for
    target. I guess it's about like having a custom gun built, if it makes you happy that's all that
    counts.

Boolit Master
    Sorry bro it's just to ugly.But to each his own.I remember a old hippie in Montana that made art from cow pies he sold em to kept him in beans and bacon.

Boolit Grand Master

Happy you found your unicorn. Everyone dreams differently and I surely won't pass judgement. Give us a range review once you've had a chance to review it more

Boolit Master

im all for having what you want, but i try to temper that with is there going to be parts and magazines available for it down the road. tons of gun companies have been started and no longer exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast