Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I scored a new production unicorn gun!

New ideas - innovation - research and development - testing and evaluation - production - marketing - capitalism - choice

These things MAGA!

Enjoy your pistol and carry on with all your good works!
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master
    I would agree that adding a light would not be optimal in its current configuration with exception to a slim light like a Surefire XC-1. The gun is not as heavy as it looks, its not as big as it looks either. Very approximate to a commander size 1911 or Glock 19 size but thinner and thinness is an important dimension in carry consideration. The gun is a fair bit smaller than it appears and is more comfortable than it appears. I did give it a try in a soft universal holster just for grins and its not bad. I'd carry the H9 before I'd carry my 3" 686. The gun was designed to be duty tough and carry-able but I don't think that is its strong suit. It is a double stack 9mm but its still slimmer than a standard width 1911. I'm not the type to carry an all steel gun like a 1911, Hi Power, EMP4, etc. I like small and light, my J-Frame fills that roll. The Hudson and the above mentioned guns are range toys, things to just enjoy because you like them. Could the be carry guns? Duty guns? Sure. Not every gun HAS to have a defined purpose. Everyone is free to have it their way. I think it easily qualifies as a "Gucci" gun, catering to those that want something unique and something well built. It's far nicer than say a Kimber as far as build quality, more like a Dan Wesson /CZ factory custom grade of build quality. As for the chunky front end, well when you drop the barrel and the locking features that low in the frame, the recoil assembly had to go somewhere. It's still a locked breech action, the assembly had to be moved for sake of the low bore axis. While other guns like the P7 or Arsenal Strike One ride low, they aren't as far down as the H9.

As far as "meeting the hype" goes... Kinda hard to quantify that unless you yourself have had one in your hands to see and feel, let alone shoot. All I can say is my expectations had been met quite satisfactorily. Looks are subjective for sure, probably more than other factors. I like the uniquely shaped gun, i wouldn't call it gorgeous though.

I'm not terribly concerned about parts/pieces right now. I have it as a collection item to occasionally shoot and enjoy. As it stands with 2000 built, its a fairly rare item and if it stays at 2000 produced, it only adds value. If they crank out more, then I can breath easier about putting rounds through it. I plan on getting a few S&W 5906 mags since that is the parent mag design and cutting the proper latching slot in one to try. If nothing else, I have a 5906 TSW that can use the mags. All in all not too bothered either way.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 11-27-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    The local gun store showed me one today. Felt good in the hand. But if I wanted a gun that size it would have a bigger hole in the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    As far as thickness versus a 1911 it is pretty much a wash. Both are around 1.25" at their widest points.

Some of the reviews have points that need to be thoroughly vetted in any personal hands on review if I get to shoot one. Expressed points of concern were shortcomings in trigger function in regards to take up, reliability and accuracy. Time will tell but I will let the consensus speak for awhile and see how it shakes out.
    Last edited by 35remington; 11-27-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    If I have problems, ill address that as it comes and slap it on the forum for all to see. I've had to eat helpings of crow before, im sure there will be more to look forward to. If I do or don't, ill post it up. I don't plan on shooting it a bunch at this point in time so I'm not expecting to see problems.

The trigger certainly is unique, I will give it that, but not in a bad way. The intent was to replicate the feel of the 1911 type trigger, a straight-back pull but in a striker design and without undue sear wear or engagement problems. As you all can imagine, that is an uphill battle. It still has some pre-travel like 99% of all striker fired guns to disengage the passive safeties. If you treat it like a two-stage trigger and pull the trigger up to the pressure wall and break the shot and ride the reset, it is very close to a hammer fired feel. Its not as nice as my race guns but its a box stock pony and it has to pass the attorney's sniff test. To be completely honest, I wish there was a little tighter fit of the trigger body to the frame but im picking the fly **** from the pepper there.

By all means, if your range has one to fondle or shoot, or otherwise get hands on one, see what you think, develop your own opinions. Or don't, your choice. I'm not selling the darn things or mine for that matter, and I receive no gratuities either way. I was simply sharing my, "exuberant" two cents with the patrons of this forum. That is kinda what forums are all about is it not?
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Congrats, always glad to see someone get a gun they desire, especially a rare bird. Not every pistol has to be practical, that's why they make CZ75 clones and Ruger revolvers. Some take pleasure in the successful execution of the design parameters. We understand, enjoy and keep us informed as your experience progresses.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Good luck with your new purchase, hope you continue to enjoy it!

Boolit Master
    That is a sweet gun! I am always excited when a new gun manufacturer comes up with something new and exciting that works. I would buy one of these in a second if I had the cash.

It is so sad to see all the people on here trying to discredit something before they have y ideas of their own. I see a bunch of stuff in the "special projects" section that is new and interesting that I admire in so many ways. However--even with all that experience, there isn't single one of those folks who have created something with mass commercial appeal that is new and exciting.

I am jealous and envious. I would love to hear a range report. I don't think I have ever read a thread with so many cry babies commenting negatively on something they have never touched. #sad

Congratulations.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    That is a sweet gun! I am always excited when a new gun manufacturer comes up with something new and exciting that works. I would buy one of these in a second if I had the cash.

It is so sad to see all the people on here trying to discredit something before they have y ideas of their own. I see a bunch of stuff in the "special projects" section that is new and interesting that I admire in so many ways. However--even with all that experience, there isn't single one of those folks who have created something with mass commercial appeal that is new and exciting.

I am jealous and envious. I would love to hear a range report. I don't think I have ever read a thread with so many cry babies commenting negatively on something they have never touched. #sad

Congratulations.
    youve never seen any of the why this new cartridge threads than eh? lol people ***** and whine about anything they dont have or personally care for. generally its either envy or jealousy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually it’s hard bitten cynicism.

Reality about firearms is usually found somewhere other than ad copy and gushing prose. After you get a few years on you, you realize most things have flaws, and glowing reviews are often deliberately overlooking something or act as salesmanship rather than an objective commentary.

I’d rather have the objective commentary. I don’t believe in Glock Perfection, the front slide serrations on my Shield 45 are of no value, and my 638 had an annoyingly heavy trigger pull in double action right out of the box. It ain’t me....much of what is out there has downsides some don’t want to talk about, That is the fact of the matter.

So color me a skeptic. That is accurate. I just happen to run across other commentary as well. All is considered to some degree before I look into something myself, but as I said skepticism is not unjustified if nothing but hosannas are offered.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Call me underwhelmed.
    Me2

Boolit Master
    For the kind words, thank you all!

So the intent here was to share in my excitement of getting something I had been waiting for for some time and for a commodity that has turned out to be harder to get than expected for that matter but also to layout the story. The whats, the whys, the hows, etc. Like I said, I gain nothing for the review, i'm not out to pimp the things just to do it. I'm sure you all can grasp the concept of a "unicorn object". Why does everything HAVE to have flaws? Is it inconceivable that there are some things that might be near perfect? Yes, again that is subjective reasoning so you can't really quantify that.

I respect everyone's right to opinion but honestly I'm shocked there was this much lackluster interest in the H9. The age demographic of Cast Boolits forum is strongly tilted to the older crowd. The kind of guys that scoff at the idea of plastic guns and "wunder-nines", and that whole side of the field. This is the group that will have their guns made of steel and wood, the 1911 cultists, the traditionalists right... So here's something new, it has a mix of the new style in it but is bloodlined to the 1911, no plastic here, steel and (could be wood but its G10 which is no shocker and adorns many a 1911), It's filling a gap that has been left open for a long time and many want that slice of the pie. It' has attributes often demanded these days but no one had this mythical gun. It's built to a high quality, forged parts, not MIM'ed, designed to enhance shootability, etc. I could go on but you know what I'm implying. Again, it's y'alls choice to like what you like, just shocked that so overwhelmingly you guys are thumbing your nose at it. Metaphorically speaking you've been asking Santa for a new snowman and when Santa builds it, well now its not big enough, or its not good enough, or its not the same as the old snowman......
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Well I think it’s pretty neat! I remember going to Gordon’s Wigwam back in the ‘90’s and drooling over the two HK’s he had in the case every time I went in. I always wanted one but couldn’t afford it or justify it. Nowadays the HK M9 and 13’s are scarce and even more expensive when you do find one.
    I don’t think I’d get a Hudson myself though, too new of a company, limited production run and a little on the high end of the price spectrum for me. But it’s a clever design for an easier to shoot gun.
    I am curious who you got it through, PM me if you’d rather not say in the open.
    Enjoy your gun, YOU like it, that’s all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Well I think it’s pretty neat! I remember going to Gordon’s Wigwam back in the ‘90’s and drooling over the two HK’s he had in the case every time I went in. I always wanted one but couldn’t afford it or justify it. Nowadays the HK M9 and 13’s are scarce and even more expensive when you do find one.
    I don’t think I’d get a Hudson myself though, too new of a company, limited production run and a little on the high end of the price spectrum for me. But it’s a clever design for an easier to shoot gun.
    I am curious who you got it through, PM me if you’d rather not say in the open.
    Enjoy your gun, YOU like it, that’s all that matters.
    Thank you for the encouragement and kind words!

Man, Gordon's Wigwam! That's a name I haven't heard from anyone in a Loooooong time! They tended to be a little bit pricey but did have neat stuff. Wished we still had some of the little hole in the wall shops like that. Wasn't that on St. Francis, old brick street by the Kellogg overpass?

I picked the Hudson up at Range54 which happens to be the home range of our USPSA club. They only got 2 of them and the other was sold when I arrived that day. I don't know if Thunderbird got any or anyone else for that matter. There's at least 2 in the state of Kansas but probably not many more if any. I honestly think Hudson could have set msrp higher than they did and still would fly off the shelves. Not entirely cheap as is though. Might have to get together sometime and you can give it a try!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed

Vendor Sponsor

So... When is Unicorn season? Right after Zombie season or do they run concurrently?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    So... When is Unicorn season? Right after Zombie season or do they run concurrently?
    depending on state they can overlap, but you better have proper licenses for either!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    depending on state they can overlap, but you better have proper licenses for either!
    Zombie is like coyotes here. No closed season and no bag limit. Unicorns are a lottery and they only issue three tags a year per WMU. They only live in 10 WMUs so there's limited tags

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Thank you for the encouragement and kind words!

Man, Gordon's Wigwam! That's a name I haven't heard from anyone in a Loooooong time! They tended to be a little bit pricey but did have neat stuff. Wished we still had some of the little hole in the wall shops like that. Wasn't that on St. Francis, old brick street by the Kellogg overpass?

I picked the Hudson up at Range54 which happens to be the home range of our USPSA club. They only got 2 of them and the other was sold when I arrived that day. I don't know if Thunderbird got any or anyone else for that matter. There's at least 2 in the state of Kansas but probably not many more if any. I honestly think Hudson could have set msrp higher than they did and still would fly off the shelves. Not entirely cheap as is though. Might have to get together sometime and you can give it a try!
    Yes, St. Francis across from the plumbing or electrical supply co. and shadowed by Kellog. I sure miss that place. Yes, prices were a little higher, but they had nearly everything you’d want! I remember when he was closing shop, he knew my fascination with the 10mm and he took me in the back. There in one of the safes was a select fire HK MP5 in 10mm! “I’ve got all the springs, one 10rd, 8 35rd, 2 50rd and 1 100rd mag for it. I’ll make you a great deal on it!” I couldn’t afford the $500 transfer fee much less the $5k he wanted for the gun at the time, but it was **** cool!
    I’d be more than happy to meet up sometime and an offer to shoot a unicorn to boot? Don’t have to twist my arm. I’m out in Rose Hill and if the weather permits I can get us some outdoor shooting if you’ve got something you’d like to try long range on?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Heard about it, hope they sell a lot of them. Entirely steel? I'll take my double stack 1911 from Rock Island.. Low bore axis? Yeah, cut out above trigger looks like it moved up a bit. And all the spring weight out front help with recoil I expect. Maybe they will sell, I doubt it. Climate is fierce out there. And margins are razor thin. I'd hate to know I had to sell guns to earn a living, transfer fees are as much as most margins on average handguns are right now. Have fun with it and report back in 6 months.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Yes, St. Francis across from the plumbing or electrical supply co. and shadowed by Kellog. I sure miss that place. Yes, prices were a little higher, but they had nearly everything you’d want! I remember when he was closing shop, he knew my fascination with the 10mm and he took me in the back. There in one of the safes was a select fire HK MP5 in 10mm! “I’ve got all the springs, one 10rd, 8 35rd, 2 50rd and 1 100rd mag for it. I’ll make you a great deal on it!” I couldn’t afford the $500 transfer fee much less the $5k he wanted for the gun at the time, but it was **** cool!
    I’d be more than happy to meet up sometime and an offer to shoot a unicorn to boot? Don’t have to twist my arm. I’m out in Rose Hill and if the weather permits I can get us some outdoor shooting if you’ve got something you’d like to try long range on?

Some good times back then!

That all sounds good to me! When I can get some free time to go do some shooting (besides club matches) ill see if we can't throw together a range day! Sounds good!
    ~ Chris

Accuracy, Power & Speed