WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who currently manufactures rifles in 35 Whelen or 358 Winchester?

Who currently manufactures rifles in 35 Whelen or 358 Winchester?

I like the idea of throwing 35 caliber 225 grain or larger cast lead boolits downrange. Since I am a little recoil sensitive(I can handle 30-06 easily enough), I would like to stick with non-magnum cartridges. I am thinking 35 Whelen or 358 Winchester.
    I see that CVA makes a single shot in this caliber but it is an under 6lb rifle. Recoil worries again.
    Does anyone currently produce either of these calibers in a good quality bolt rifle? (the Remington site says the 700 in 35 Whelen is out of production)
    Would I be better served by re-barrelling a used rifle? (maybe a Savage 110 or Axis with a Boyd's stock)
    If re-barrelling, what twist rate should I get?

Well, JES is a reputable rebore service, I've yet to hear anything bad about them. In fact, I'll be sending them a mauser soon for rebore to 35 whelen, it's under $250!

Boolit Master

Have you looked at ER Shaw rifles?

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/sps-the-mk-VII-rifle.php

Used Savage 110s in .243,.308 are common and inexpensive. Get one and send to JES for a .358 Win rebore.
    For a .35 Whelen, start with a used .270 or 30-06.
    My .358 Rem 700 started as a .243 Win and thanks to this forum I sent it to JES and have been happy as can be.
    Look in your gun safe. You may have a candidate already there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Look at the JES website, he has probably got a rifle for you all ready done.

I was thinking of picking one of these up and sending it to JES for a 35 rebore.
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-m7...U#.WhryITdrzs1
    CDNN buys out old stock and these are NIB but 10 years old. I was wanting a Hawkeye for the controlled feed. Would this make a good candidate for a JES rebore?
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    No reason to buy a "new" anything. Cruise the gun auction sites ----- no shortage of 35 Ws.

A Remington 700 is/was made in 35W.

I prefer a 9.3 x 62 or x74 as better boolit and bullet selection.

Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    No reason to buy a "new" anything. Cruise the gun auction sites ----- no shortage of 35 Ws.

A Remington 700 is/was made in 35W.

I prefer a 9.3 x 62 or x74 as better boolit and bullet selection.
    I am not sure if you were answering me or the OP. Probably should not have muddled up his thread.
    If you were answering me, then the New Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 at $449 I am showing is a better deal than anything I have seen on the auction sights. CDNN is in driving distance so I can save on shipping and FFL fees. And inspect it before I pay for it. And I would much rather have a Ruger Hawkeye than a Remington 700 35W because they came with a 1-16" twist. And I would prefer a JES 1-14" twist. Plus I will never own another Model 700 since the time I was hunting with my 700 BDL 6mm on a very cold day and when a buck stepped out it fired when I slipped off the safety. That happened 35 years ago and there have been many deaths because of it and they still deny that they have ever had that problem.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Better bullet selection for the 9.3? Not in the USA, sir.

The 700 problem has been well covered. Having owned 20+ 7XX series rifles, I never had a problem since I understood the trigger design was VERY suseptible to amateur adjusting, dirt and rust. IF you keep a 7XX trigger @2 lbs or more and clean, you'll never have a problem.

As for bullets/boolits, the 9.3 has more usable bullets/boolits than the 35. If you want to shoot .357 wadcutters in your rifle, you win.

All you need in cast is the great NOE 368-280-GC. For jacketed there is nothing you cannot kill with a 250/286 Barnes TSX/Banded solid.

The 700 problem has been well covered. Having owned 20+ 7XX series rifles, I never had a problem since I understood the trigger design was VERY suseptible to amateur adjusting, dirt and rust. IF you keep a 7XX trigger @2 lbs or more and clean, you'll never have a problem.

As for bullets/boolits, the 9.3 has more usable bullets/boolits than the 35. If you want to shoot .357 wadcutters in your rifle, you win.

All you need in cast is the great NOE 368-280-GC. For jacketed there is nothing you cannot kill with a 250/286 Barnes TSX/Banded solid.
    Was not trying to open up the 700 trigger issue. Just saying I️ would never own another one. Or another Remington for that matter. Do what you want.

I️ am not sure what you are referring too as to no bullets available for the 35 Whelen.
    There are all kind of choices available here in the US. I️ would dare say much more than the 368.
    Not knocking the 9.3. I️t sounds like a great caliber.

Banned

doesn't browning still chamber the blr in 358? Heck of a quick handling powerhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Was not trying to open up the 700 trigger issue. Just saying I️ would never own another one. Or another Remington for that matter. Do what you want.

I️ am not sure what you are referring too as to no bullets available for the 35 Whelen.
    There are all kind of choices available here in the US. I️ would dare say much more than the 368.
    Not knocking the 9.3. I️t sounds like a great caliber.
    9.3 is a great caliber and has killed far more big nasties across the world than any 35 ever will.

No shortage of boolits/bullets for either.

The 9.3X62 and X74 are just more powerful than the 35W. Heck the 74 treads hard on a 375 H&H. Then there is the 370 SAKO---- OMG !

Of course there is the 35 G&H but you need a Magnum action.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post

I am thinking 35 Whelen or 358 Winchester.

Does anyone currently produce either of these calibers in a good quality bolt rifle?

www.budsgunshop.com carries (new) the Browning BLR levergun & the Ruger 77 Hawkeye (temporarily out of stock) in .358Win; plus the Ruger #1 single-shot & the Remington 450 autoloader in .35 Whelan.

New, good quality .358 Win & .35 Whelan repeating rifles (or a Ruger #1) will cost $800-$1300; while a Jes re-bore/re-rifling of just about any CF rifle under .35 cal to .35 caliber is $245.

Pay your $$$$, take your choice.

Rifles (barrels) chambered in .22-250, .243, .260 & .308 are the best candidates for converting to .358 Win.

Rifles (barrels) chambered in .25-06, .270, & .30-06 are the best candidates for converting to .35 Whelan.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Lucifers- a quick search of jacketed bullets and moulds for
    .358 and .366 RIFLE designs show the .35 cal the clear leader. I have owned and shot both the Whelen and the 9.3 extensively and there ain't much difference at all. However I do agree with your experience with the Rem 700 trigger.
    Tazman- I apologize for getting off subject and helping drift this thread. FWIW I prefer my .358 to the Whelen for my own reasons.
    Best, Thomas.

9.3 is a great caliber and has killed far more big nasties across the world than any 35 ever will.

No shortage of boolits/bullets for either.

The 9.3X62 and X74 are just more powerful than the 35W. Heck the 74 treads hard on a 375 H&H. Then there is the 370 SAKO---- OMG !

Of course there is the 35 G&H but you need a Magnum action.
    I am sure the 9.3 is a great caliber. I simply have no interest in it.
    I am thinking about a 35 caliber rifle for shooting cast boolits. Not for hunting dangerous game. Possibly deer where it would work splendidly.
    Lots of usable molds available for the 35 cal, some of which I already own and use in my handguns.

Boolit Master

If you come across a Savage rifle. Shaw did possibly still do sell barrel kits with headspace gauges and barrel wrench. I did two, a 338/06 and changed a 300 Win mag to 458. You can recoup part of the cost selling the old barrel, wrench and gauges on EBay.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but a Winchester 94 Big Bore in 356 could be an option if one wanted a lever gun. Equals the 358, unless we are picking fly poop out of the pepper, and is a sure game getter, trust me on that. JW

I bought a 35 Whelen JES made off an '03A3 and it is a real shooter and a great bargain. He also makes a 35/30-30 that is a great way to extend the life of a lever action 30-30 or 32WS with a bad bore.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master

Surprised no one has mentioned .35 Remington. I have a pump action model 14, nice thumper of a gun/cartridge.
    Bulldogger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast