Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Best Method For Ingoting, Packing, Shipping Lead?

Best Method For Ingoting, Packing, Shipping Lead?

I have several hundred pounds of COWW and roofing lead that I'm probably never going to use.

Right now it's cast in 20-30lb bread loaf ingots.

Wondering what's the best/most secure ingot size and packaging method to get this stuff ready to sell/ship in FRB's?

This last shipment I received of ingots had 1/4" plywood lining the box, top, bottom & all 4 sides, they were cut to slip fit in the box, no nails or extra...then stuffed with 60 Lbs of Pb and newsprint as a filler.
    I think it came out of Colorado...when it arrived here the boxes didn't even have the corners smashed in, looks like they came from down the street. I was amazed.
    You know how the Post Office is. He used plenty of wide clear tape too.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    In the past, I've poured muffins about 1# each and packed them into the SFRB about 16 pounds each. Then, put 4 of those SFRBs into a MFRB and added extra cardboard to fill out the box. I like OS OKs description. That would be good if you have some scrap. The only other thing I'd suggest is to get some of the USPS Tyvex bags and but the lean inside to give it one more layer it needs to escape from.

Moderator Emeritus

Double boxing minimum, the wood works, use strapping tape with the fibers and use a LOT of it per box. Some wrap the inner box with shrink wrap film to hold things together in case of a tear. Label the inside box and the outside in case they destroy the outer box... If I am using MFRB's I cut one apart and shrink it a bit by refolding to fit inside the full size box.

Banned

I would PM The Captain and ask her how she boxes her stuff.

Thanks, all. Solid advice.

Boolit Grand Master

Many make ingot molds from angle or channel that are sized to fit in a flat rate box. Size them to leave room to add another layer of cardboard. Use lots of tape. Some even use the small flat rate boxes packed into a medium flat rate box. Price it at or near $1 pound + shipping. If it does not sell as quickly as you want it to start knocking a little off of the shipping.

You should consider keeping it. You might live longer than you think or start to shoot more. I mean, Ya never hear about a caster with too much lead!

Angle iron or channel ingots, as I recall just under 7 inches (it could be 8" but pretty sure it's 7") are common to both SFRB and MFRB. Long side of SFRB and short side of the MFRB are the same length. Angle iron interlock when stacked. A row point up, one at each side point in, next row goes point down. Can get better than 20# into a SFRB. I think D Crockett sells those molds and will make them to right length.

SFRB fiber tape on all edges and corners. With clear tape over top and bottom, both to protect label and to prevent punctures. Note inside with shipping from/to addresses. Newspaper or those plastic bags as packing if needed. Medium boxes I trim a second one to fit inside. Goal is to make too thick to puncture and enough tape that if box arrives more round than square the contents will still be inside.

You can stack SFRB's inside a MFRB so like 3 or 4 Smalls will be a max weight medium.

Over in swapping and selling there is a sticky on packing or packaging success, lot of ideas there. If it is heavy and can move it may well blast through the side or end of the box. Packing so it can't move and if it does move the sides can take it and all will be well.

Those pucks from muffin tins have angled sides so they interlock well with every other one being small side up or down. Being round they can be less likely to punch through a box than say Lee or RCBS ingots.

Good luck with any sales.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Thank you both as well.

Going to look at some angle iron and start casting up ingots once it gets a little cooler here.

Banned
    they stack nicely and are a handy size to use.

Angle iron is easy to make (If you have the tools) remember to cut the ends at a slight taper so the ingots fall out easily and they fit in SFRB.

I started with 10 cavity ingot molds BUT they were just too long to handle easily

Perfect. Gonna get some of those made. Thank you!

Boolit Master
    How i build my boxes for lead i sell. This is 60 pounds
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0623171527_Burst01_resized.jpg  

Thanks, Trigger. Do you put plywood on the top and bottom as well?

Boolit Master
    Yes. The guy who bought my lead mailed me some other stuff back to me in that box.

Excellent. Thank you!