Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What your favorite deer cut.......NOT loin or straps.....

Boolit Buddy
    I will try and get the recipe posted here in a day or two. Going to be making some soon, have a deer hanging right now. Once i get the recipe dug out, i'll post the recipe here. Its easy, basically roast is just curing in the fridge for a week or so with the spices and cure if i remember right. Then after its pickled i believe you boil the roast. It turns out great. I like doing this with the front shoulder roasts because after its pickled or boiled (not sure which one is actually the cause) all the meat separates from the tendons/ligament tissue real easy. Much better than trying to remove while butchering.

Banned

go to meatman.com. they sell a prepackaged spice and curing packet for corned venison along with instructions. I made one a couple years ago and it turned out real good. Bit drier then corned beef but not so much that you would stick your nose up in the air.

Banned

All the livers out of small does I shoot go to my dad. I don't care for it. Hearts are ground up with the sausage meat other the a few that go to dad. I never was much for eating the gut pile. Ill eat it if its cooked at camp but don't bother myself. Also it took me a while to get the wife over eating yearling does. She would NEVER eat gut.
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    nobody for liver ??

Boolit Master
    The main ingredient for corned beef is Praque powder #1.
    that is a different type of salt that keeps red meat pink & prevents botulism.
    then you add pickling spices, they are easy to find.

Boolit Buddy
    So heres my recipe for corned venison.
    4-6 lbs venison
    5T Morton Tenderquick Salt
    2T Brown Sugar
    1T Black Pepper
    1tsp Paprika
    1tsp Ground Bay Leaf
    1tsp Allspice
    1/2tsp Garlic Powder
    Mix all spices together and rub into meat. Seal tight in a ziploc bag. Refrigerate 5 days.
    After 5 days, add venison to pot of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 3-4 hours.

Boolit Master
    Morton Tenderquick is the praque powder, same thing different name

This is required to prevent the meat from spoiling during the slow curing time.
    I marinate mine up to 2 weeks. although I cure it wet instead of dry rub.

Boolit Master

Sounds good but, Sorry,
    no loins nor back straps in this thread.
    I don't think sirloin ,coming from the upper leg would be considered loin or back straps. hmmm

Boolit Grand Master

Morton Tenderquick is the praque powder, same thing different name
    Thanks I did not know that.

Banned

yup and a sirloin off a small does is probably every bit as good as the back straps off an 8pointer. But that said I cube them all. There all tender like that and its the same meat and takes as good. Event the back straps off a deer bigger then about a 150lbs go through the cuber. But then I get a lot more choice backstraps then most so I don't have to save them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I don't think sirloin ,coming from the upper leg would be considered loin or back straps. hmmm

Banned
    kens,

ANY part of the deer that can be pounded with the edge of a plate, dipped in beaten egg/seasoned flour & converted into chickenfried steak with cream gravy/biscuits.

yours, tex

Boolit Bub
    Just found this thread and not too old but Im a neck guy. I like the neck mostly cut to 3/4 inch steaks with tiny bit of salt and pepper. If I cook it as a roast, I sear it in 1/2 cup of oil. Then dump that in crock pot. Cut onion into wedges, 4 big tomatoes to wedges, a red and green bell pepper to wedges. Then a little salt pepper and a tsp of cumin. Usually have it with rice. Im in the process of making my antelope disappear.

I be alone with a vote for humble stew chunks cut from wherever that's not an obvious steak or roast. Having no grinder, I make a good proportion of these; and have a few recipes for them that have become favorites even over prouder, note that I didn't write "better," cuts.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    kens,

ANY part of the deer that can be pounded with the edge of a plate, dipped in beaten egg/seasoned flour & converted into chickenfried steak with cream gravy/biscuits.

yours, tex
    Now add some good home mashed taters, or fries and some lima beans, cover everything except the beans with that cream gravy and have a kings meal.

Pretty much any part of one can be cut into cubes for chile or stew meat either one is hard to beat.

Banned
    Liver

Boolit Master
    Liver and heart are (for me) some of the best parts of the deer. Most of the friends and relatives with which I hunt don't even bother to save them, and they say they get tired of me circling gut piles like a vulture. So I pass out a gallon Zip-Loc bag to everybody hunting and tell them just to pop them into the bag if they aren't shot to pieces.

This second part may seem hard to believe, but my uncle used to be able to slow cook deer shanks (low heat, long time) and they came out so tender and succulent that one would wish deer had eight legs like a spider. I am going to save them and not bone them out to see if I can recreate the magic.

Not sure of the name- or if it'd qualify here,

My favorite is that small sort of banana shaped two pieces that are up at the top rear,
    -but underneath the backbone, on the inside of the body cavity.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Those would be the tenderloins Winger ed , I bone out the back leg , take the sirloin tip and cut into steaks same with the top round the bottom round stays connected to the eye and used as roast , make another roast outa the shoulder .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Ribs
    Roasted long til the meat is almost crispy.

NOT much meat, but tons of flavor
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    I did up a bunch of deer shanks this year. 300 degrees for three hours. They turned out great! They had a great texture and very good taste.

Boolit Master
    I used to do all sorts of different cuts. I finally settled on grinding it all up except for the loins. I use it for chili and spaghetti. The kids and wife love it this way... Who am I to fight it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast