Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Grandson This AM - Levergun - CB - Doe

Moderator Emeritus

Our Grandson This AM - Levergun - CB - Doe

Our county in the Brazos river bottoms of central Texas has a four day long doe season during the Thanksgiving holiday. Our middle grandson shot this doe about 8 AM this morning with his .44 Magnum 20" bbl Rossi. I mounted a Leupold EER scope on it several years ago and it appears to be a near perfect set up for our heavily forested rolling hills.

He was shooting a Mihec #503 clone boolit cast of 50/50 AC COWW and SOWW in front of 20.0 gr. of IMR 4227.

This was his third deer with this rifle but it was his first doe. He has also killed several feral hogs with the same rifle and loads.

I apologize for the "after thought" picture but I was working while he cleaned the deer and by the time I got back, he was already through and had it in the cooler, ready to go to the processor!

Oh, BTW, if he looks big in relation to the car it's because he unfortunately took after me. He's 6'8" tall and about 270 lbs. at 17 years old! I topped out at 6'7" and about 250.

"Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Wow, I'd hate to have to feed him...

Way to go , puttin meat in the freezer

Boolit Master

Treetop a big congratulations to your equally big and tall grandson. He is a good lookin grandson too. Probably took that part after one of the ladies in the family. Hee Hee. Seriously he is a fine young man and appears he got some good role models from you and his mom and dad. He must know what he is doing since he field dressed that nice doe pretty quickly and got it iced down and in the cooler. Lots of good eating there for sure.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

In Remembrance
    Congratulations Grandpaw and Grandson. It don't get much better than this. You got the right idea, take'm hunting is a lot better than having to go hunting for them. Grandson, you doing your Grandpap and your family proud. Best wishes to you.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't even need a treestand . Congrats on your first doe!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Buddy
    Good job to you both. She should eat very well.- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master

Wow they do grow em big in Texas! Great hunt! What a fine family!

Vendor Sponsor

Congrats to him .. We need to teach every youth we can the value of guns and hunting
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Excellet
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    very nice deer
    big kid
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

He's going to need more deer nice going.

Boolit Master
    Tell your grandson congratulations on the fine kill with that fine rifle he has there. But I do have a question about the deer in the cooler. Do you all make deer head cheese out of the deer heads down there? When I was a kid 60 years ago my uncle owned a butcher shop my father worked in and one of my favorites was the head cheese he brought home in home made bread my mother used to make.

what type and what weight was the boolit he used? is the 503 similar to the 429421
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned
    Congrats, I like the duct-tape on the stock

Boolit Master

I just love to see “our” kids and grandkids picking up our tradition. Looks like a fine young man and I’m sure, a proud grandpa!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations to you both! Good gracious he is a big youngin for 17 for sure. Better keep him stocked up on ammo so he can help to keep the freezer full. My boys never stopped eating at that age and they weren't near that big

Way to represent and help the herd by taking does. It's been a couple of days, does he need to kill another yet? I remember feeding teens!

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for all of the responses, yes we are very proud of the way he is turning out! Looking at the picture again, he makes that 20" barrel Rossi look like the Daisy Red Ryder BB gun that I bought him about 10 years ago, LOL.

DonMountain: No I've never heard of deer head cheese, but I have eaten hog's head cheese.

Oklahoma Rebel: The H&G 503 is a "true to the original" Elmer Keith 429421 boolit. It has a square bottom lube groove and 3 equal width driving bands. The Lyman 429421 evolved over the years and got away from these features so Elmer commissioned H&G to manufacture the original one again. The Mihec clone mould is a work of art that literally "spits" these beautiful boolits out.

Grmps: Yeah, I had to "Bubba" a piece of foam insulation to the stock comb so he could get a comfortable cheek weld and see thru the scope! What can I say? The first day he was up here he fired 3 shots into 1 1/2" at 100 yards off the bench, so it must suit him. I do wish someone made something more attractive, though.

Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Handsome young guy, doing his part to stock the freezer! Congratulations!

There is a neater, if not better solution for the cheek pad. Go to your local pet/farm supply store and purchase a couple rolls of "vet tape". It's the same stuff that hospitals use after they draw blood to hold the pad in place, it will only stick to itself and comes in several different colors and is 4" wide.

Cut a piece of closed foam pipe insulation about 4" long and open the split side and place it over the stock when his cheek anchors, then wrap it with the tape. Then attach a mole skin pad to the area where his cheek rests.

This is not my idea, I wish it was. I did it to two .22 cal rifles with scopes and it works like a charm.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! Does & smaller hogs eat good, good game management in many cases as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast