Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: The sad state of pickled sausage

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

The sad state of pickled sausage

I haven't made any pickled sausage for probably 6 months . Being deprived that long and needing a pickled sausage 'fix' I ordered a gallon of Big John's Red Hot Pickled Sausage . Receiving them at the shop I immediately opened em up got one , offered one to my son who also loves pickled sausage (wonder why ?) .
    I had got up to get a handful of crackers to have with mine and when I stepped back into the office he was pitching his in the trash can . He said ..DON"T EAT IT ! It's terrible !
    I bit off a small piece and the potted meat texture pickled made me spit it in the trash can . I threw em in the trash can in the shop . $38.00 down the drain . Soft , mushy you could only taste the cayenne used to mask the mechanically separated whatever meat they were made out of .

Got to reading ...MADE BY Conagra worthless trash , I understand we all taste differently and am open minded but ....NO , these are carp .

Got to checking . Penrose , the best national brand sold to Conagra , Colonial who made good pickled meat products for years is gone . I have been occasionally been buying Herb's pickled sausage and pickled hocks (much like Penrose) is in the wind . Can't find a source .

Far as I can tell if you like pickled meat you better make your own . No good brands out there . Take it for what it's worth .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Most folks have eaten junk food so long they do not or have not tasted real pickled sausages.
    Any thing canned anymore seems to be made from floor sweepings and not sure what.
    Gone are the days of pride in products over cheap. Try a McRib sandwich tell me what that is?

Agree .

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I get imported from Germany Deutschlander Meica sausages from Vermont Country Store.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I so miss Penrose...

Moderator Emeritus

McRibs:

MCRIB PORK PATTY

Ingredients: Pork, Water, Salt, Dextrose, Rosemary Extract.
    HOMESTYLE ROLL

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Yeast, Soybean Oil, Contains 2% or Less: Corn Meal, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Mono and Diglycerides, Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate (Preservative).
    Contains: WHEAT.
    MCRIB SAUCE

Ingredients: Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Tomato Paste, Distilled Vinegar, Molasses, Natural Smoke Flavor, Modified Food Starch, Salt, Sugar, Spices, Soybean Oil, Xanthan Gum, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Chili Pepper, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Caramel Color, Beet Powder.
    PICKLE SLICES

Ingredients: Cucumbers, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Alum, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Natural Flavors, Polysorbate 80, Extractives of Turmeric (Color).
    SLIVERED ONIONS

Ingredients: Onions.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Mary I rest my case more chemicals than food

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    Mary I rest my case more chemicals than food
    McBARF!

Google Taste of Germany for a good variety...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Remember, if it was part of a pig - it's "pork". And that ain't necessarily ham or chops. Same with "beef". No telling what we're eating. Mmmmm......

You can easily make your own....

I personally not eat or buy any sausage that contains chicken or turkey especially and "mechanically" separated bird parts ( You do realize this means cut apart with a water jet?)

Hillshire Farms BEEF smoked sausage or beef Kilbasa which is fully cooked. If reheated in a pan covered in sauerkraut and allowed to cool overnight immersed in the Kraut juice gets nicely pickled overnight putting it into a wide mouth mason jar and you poured boiling cider vinegar over it before storing it in your fridge until you eat it, OR you can seal the jar and "process it" (IE "can" or even "pressure can" it for longer storage.)

If you make your own YOU are in control of the Acidity by varying the proportion of Vinegar and Water, you control the saltiness and Cayenne, though some experimentation would be required.

Banned

I don't eat hotdogs of any kind. Because of whats in them and the mear fact I don't like the taste. I don't anymore ever buy sausage either be it fresh, summer, snack sticks ect because its more of a chemical slury then it is healthy meat. I make my own so I know whats in it. I chuckle at a 100 percent beef wieners like there some kind of upgrade over pork. Its not like there made from tenderloins. there made from the exact same cuts of crappy meat under the same conditions by the same old lady with the cigarette hanging out of her mouth as pork hotdogs are. theres no different standard of what is allowed in them. Its just junk from a cow instead of junk from a pig. My sausage is made from boned out venison and whole pork buts. No intestines, internal organs, feces, rat droppings, and not 1/3 chemical slurry to preserve and kill all the germs. id just about as soon lick a pigs but as eat a store bought hot dog, ring bologna or sliced bologna. My wife likes it all and her big treat is as soon as I head to camp for deer season she runs to the store and buys a ring bologna and eats on it for days. I allways laugh and tell her when I walk in the door the last of it better have been fed to the dog. I almost feel guilty doing it to the dog! I shake my head. good clean venison steaks and roasts in the freezer. home made brats and Italian sausage links and she eats gowned up pig guts. All those chemicals in processed meats probably cause as much cancer in this country as do cigerettes! Now wheres my pack!

I worked in a packing house back in the seventy's . They were always trying to figure out how to use 'scrap' meat to add to something to get more bulk . I remember one experiment when they pureed bacon skins and hog snouts to add filler to the liver sausage . Backfired on em , people quit buying it .

Back then all cold cuts (lunchmeat) had a maximum 10 day expiration , now most has 2 to 3 month expiration . What the heck kind of chemicals are they putting in it to make it last that long ?

Hey, I still like hot dogs; and I figure if the chemicals will preserve meat, maybe it will preserve me too.

Wayne
    Last edited by WRideout; 11-27-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Hey, I still like hot dogs; and I figure if the chemicals will preserve meat, maybe it will preserve me too.

Waayne
    Your logic has some merit, but, the preservation only takes place after you're dead.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.