Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: The 1885 Winchester Low Wall with a "new" tang sight

Boolit Master

The 1885 Winchester Low Wall with a "new" tang sight

I was having trouble getting my 1885 Winchester in .32-20 to line up with the rear sight that was on it, so I found a "new" tang sight for it, a vintage Marbles tang that goes with the look just fine. (Many thanks to Sliphammer for the sight), I took it to the range this morning with some factory 100 grain SP's and after getting it all together, put together a 5 shot group at just under one inch. Not bad for a gun made in 1889. This gun will see the woods this fall and winter for small game hunting for sure.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

In Remembrance
    Nice modification, looks like it will get the job done.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

All my ol' Winchesters use a tang sight !! They look good but they really shoot well with it!!! Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy

David
    That tang sight indicates you are a thinking man--there was no better sight available 100 years ago, and when you consider ruggedness, improved grouping ability and minimal expense, there still is nothing better.
    Beautiful LowWall, excellent cartridge choice, a fine hunting machine! I would be proud to own one like it!
    Ya done well, buddy!

Boolit Buddy
    Have that gun in a Uberti. Classic look with tang sight. Have them on all my vintage rifles. Very nice rifle and a shooter. She will do just fine on small game & a fun cartridge.
    Bob

can those be quickly adjusted in the field, say you were expecting a 50 yard shot and got a 150 yard shot, do you just hold-over or can it be preset for different yardages?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    can those be quickly adjusted in the field, say you were expecting a 50 yard shot and got a 150 yard shot, do you just hold-over or can it be preset for different yardages?
    No, but any tang sight wont be "quickly" adjustable in a hunting situation either. When I hunt with my old single shots I use both the rear barrel sight, and the tang sight. I sight the gun in with the barrel sight for shots at 100 yds. or less. Then I set the tang sight up to hit shots at 150 yds. I could go farther, but choose to limit shots on game to 150 yds.
    So when I'm out hunting I leave the tang sight folded down until I see game. If the target appears to be closer to 150 yds. I flip the tang sight up and take the shot. If 100 yds. or less I use my barrel sights.

Boolit Master

A 32-20 is pretty much a small game gun. A 100 to 150yd shot on a squirrel is sure not possible with my old eyes.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

oh, lol, not possible for me either, I was thinking more in terms of a 45-70 and deer,lol, forgot to mention that! marlin man, that sounds like the best way to set up, as I would prefer to use the barrel sight for most use, as the Oklahoma woods are thick, but on a couple of the WMA's, they have plowed fields, one in Skiatook is at least 2000 yards long and 200 or so yards at its widest! lots of pigs, deer, and I have seen a huge flock of turkeys out in that field before too. I think they might "lease" the fields out, as in summer there is wheat growing there, unless the wildlife dept. does that just to help out the deer, and unfortunately the pigs too! they sure make a mess!

Boolit Master

That looks terrible. You poor misguided soul. Send that to me and I willnevaluate for about a decade and come up with a solution for you. Trust me. Have I ever lied to you?

That looks like a fun gun. I have a Uberti high Wall clone in .38-55 to play with.

Boolit Master
    I like tang sights. I have them on two of my single shots. They are both adjustable for windage. The one on the Stevens is a Lyman and the one on the Hi-Wall is a Marble.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    oh, lol, not possible for me either, I was thinking more in terms of a 45-70 and deer,lol, forgot to mention that! marlin man, that sounds like the best way to set up, as I would prefer to use the barrel sight for most use, as the Oklahoma woods are thick, but on a couple of the WMA's, they have plowed fields, one in Skiatook is at least 2000 yards long and 200 or so yards at its widest! lots of pigs, deer, and I have seen a huge flock of turkeys out in that field before too. I think they might "lease" the fields out, as in summer there is wheat growing there, unless the wildlife dept. does that just to help out the deer, and unfortunately the pigs too! they sure make a mess!
    Sounds like the perfect scenario for having two rear sights, with one being the tang sight. My first hunt with one of my old Ballard rifles was for mule deer. Where we hunt I knew the odds were better for a long shot than for close up. But I still didn't feel comfortable much past 150 yds. So I sighted my Ballard in .38-55 to hit center on the 8" gong at my gun club's range. Opening morning I was watching a draw when deer began moving out. 14 does in a row, and then a fantastic 5x6 buck that went about 250 pounds on the hoof! I figured it looked like 150 yds., and I held right on with my tang sight. One shot with the 255 gr. cast lead at 1350 fps and he dropped! Unfortunately he rolled all the way to the bottom of the draw too! My nephew checked the distance with his range finder and it was 140 yds., so pretty close to my setting!

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Sounds like the perfect scenario for having two rear sights, with one being the tang sight. My first hunt with one of my old Ballard rifles was for mule deer. Where we hunt I knew the odds were better for a long shot than for close up. But I still didn't feel comfortable much past 150 yds. So I sighted my Ballard in .38-55 to hit center on the 8" gong at my gun club's range. Opening morning I was watching a draw when deer began moving out. 14 does in a row, and then a fantastic 5x6 buck that went about 250 pounds on the hoof! I figured it looked like 150 yds., and I held right on with my tang sight. One shot with the 255 gr. cast lead at 1350 fps and he dropped! Unfortunately he rolled all the way to the bottom of the draw too! My nephew checked the distance with his range finder and it was 140 yds., so pretty close to my setting!
    Marlinman that sounds like a Montana early morning shot!!!! Way Cool LoL

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    Marlinman that sounds like a Montana early morning shot!!!! Way Cool LoL

Ol Deuce
    NE Oregon where I hunted for decades can be completely treeless in some areas! Lucky if I see more than one juniper in 5-10 square miles! But the natural terrain is rolling hills and deep draws, so once you learn how to use the terrain as cover it is possible to get under 200 yds. for a shot. Some of the grasses get 24"-30" tall also, so I've often spent an hour belly crawling through grass to get within firing range of a mule deer.

that's pretty good by-eye range judgement! I need to find a field, some cardboard deer-ish cutouts,lol, and measure out different ranges, and get used to how they look in the sights, figured I could use the width of the post, or base of the front site to compare to the ribcage, that way I can use that as my guide in the field. thanks!-Travis