RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tarrus pt99afs

Banned

tarrus pt99afs

embarrassing to admit but ive got one. I picked it up in about like new condition about 10 years ago when my buddy had his gunshop here for 200 bucks. Its a bright polished stainless gun. Sure am not a tarrus fan by any stretch and that's why the only time ive ever shot it was the day I got it I ran two clips through it to make sure it ran and it did just fine. Its sat ever since. Its a berretta 92 copy. I'm debating trading it off. Ive got a glock 23 and 17 and a full sized M&P 9mm for full sized 9mms and a 43 and lc9 for carry already and don't know if its worth the bother to keep it. Don't ask me how it compares to a berretta because ive never owned a 92 and was out of the service before they became the military gun they are today. Ive shot a few but never put one on paper. Touch decision. Ive only got 200 bucks into it and know its probably not worth a lot on trade. Seems to be put together fairly well but it has no barrel bushing and you can move the barrel up and down with finger pressure so I have to doubt it will be any kind of tack driver. Anyone else own one and what do you think of it? will a 92 clip work in it?

Banned
    Im not a tarrus fan either but I'm beginning to wonder if they aren't getting a bad rap. My brother has a Raging Bull 44 magnum. I shot it and found it to be accurate and well made and it will double for a hammer if needed.

I had purchased a Turkish 9mm that was a 1911 knock off and it shot great. Everyone that shot mine purchased one. Unfortunately I sold it to acquire another 44magnum and I miss it.

Boolit Master
    40 years ago Tarus Rossi made c**p. Then about 10 years ago their quality started improving. Today they are giving value for your money.

I have owned several Taurus handguns over the years. I never traded one off because it was a bad gun. I currently own 2 of the PT92 and a PT100 with a Pt99 side so that I can quickly convert it to 9mm if I wish.
    They shoot well and never seem to have problems. I have fired thousands of rounds through mine.
    The only change I make is when I shoot cast in them, I switch to a Beretta 92fs barrel. The Beretta barrel handles cast better due to the depth of the rifling.
    Some of the Taurus products are problematic. The Tracker series and the PT92 series are great guns.
    Fortunately, from a buyers standpoint, trade in values are low. I can buy them for $250-$325 in great condition at local gun stores and have done so as recently as 3 months ago.
    As long as the prices stay down, I will keep buying them when I find them.

Boolit Master
    I have a pt1911. The way I figured it, it's a 1911 and I could fix what ever problems with other brand parts, well haven't had to replace any hung and I must have over 5k threw it by now. The customer service at Taurus is horrible from what I hear but have not had to warranty anything yet

Banned

I'll tell you about the PT92. They are far stronger then a Beretta would ever think of being. Have a friend that runs 9mm subguns and occassionally will run the 9mm subgun, sometimes called carbine, ammo through his pistols. The carbine ammo wrecked the Beretta. Then he bought a Taurus PT92. Said he couldn't hurt that pistol with that ammo. I asked him about a Browning Hi Power. He said don't do it steady or it will wreck that too.

Another friend has a Taurus 44 magnum Raging Bull and I have shot it. Fine revolver and accurate.

I don't look down my nose at Taurus one bit.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd.. I have no words..

Banned

I know dubber theres not a gun in the safe that's been fired less then that one. I bought it because the buddy who owned the shop gave it to me cheap. It sat for a bit and my step son was looking for a 9mm and he had just got out of the service. I needed a tv for the loading room and he had a 30 in flat screen so we traded. Well that went south when the younger step son went off to college and without asking my wife gave him the tv to take with him. In the mean time the older step son shot it a couple times and got a job offer in CA and took it and left the gun here. Hes coming up in a few days to visit and I told him he should get a ffl copy so we can transport it to CA. Come to find out CA wont allow for that that model so his out of luck there. Told him id either take him to the gunshop and help him pick out what he wanted and he could use it for trade but then he is going to have to pay for shipping and the gun shop out there charges a ridiculous 100 dollar transfer fee to do it. So I told him id just buy it back from him and he could take the money out to comufornia and buy one there. So now I have to admit not only to buying a tarrus but buying the same one twice! I figure though for 200 bucks it probably aint a bad deal. maybe I can trade it off on a used j frame or a 40sw carbine of some sort.

Boolit Master
    I'm just picking Lloyd, I know you've got some really nice guns. The Taurus copies of the 92 have always been decent guns. They had a barrel recall back in the early 90's, but that's about all I remember hearing from them that was negative. For $200 it would make a good truck gun.

Boolit Buddy

Are you aware that the PT92, PT99 and the PT 100 were made in the same factory as the original Berettas? When Beretta sold the factory, they sold it equipment and all to Taurus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia John View Post
    Are you aware that the PT92, PT99 and the PT 100 were made in the same factory as the original Berettas? When Beretta sold the factory, they sold it equipment and all to Taurus.
    The big difference is the steel used.

My Taurus PT99 has aluminum frame - Oh, so does my 92FS Beretta - Both work ok for my - I don't shoot +P+ thru eilther but do shoot heavy subsonic loads.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    I have a pt1911. The way I figured it, it's a 1911 and I could fix what ever problems with other brand parts, well haven't had to replace any hung and I must have over 5k threw it by now. The customer service at Taurus is horrible from what I hear but have not had to warranty anything yet
    I have a line on a NIB PT1911, from a dealer that is closing his doors the first of the year. $380 OTD! It’s got the rail, which doesn’t thrill me. But like you said, it’s a 1911 and it’s hard to mess up the build at any price range.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

tarrus pt99afs

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia John View Post
    True, back in the 80s. Same with their revolvers, all built on SW equipment. Taurus just bought them cheap when Beretta and SW lost the contracts for the Brazilian Military.

But now they are are built on pure Taurus machines and non US alloys and steel. So it’s not all bad and it’s not all good.

Lefty

I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned

this ones definitely stainless not aluminum.

I've had one problem with a Taurus PT22 and Taurus fixed it within a week. That was six years ago. Other than that every one I've owned or known of has worked just fine- including a PP92 my brother had. He carried his on a tractor out in the weather for a year without cleaning and it never bobbled. Their 1911s are a good deal.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    True, back in the 80s. Same with their revolvers, all built on SW equipment. Taurus just bought them cheap when Beretta and SW lost the contracts for the Brazilian Military.

But now they are are built on pure Taurus machines and non US alloys and steel. So it’s not all bad and it’s not all good.

Lefty

Some of the hardess steels and steel on firearms I've seen and worked with have been from Brazil. One of the hardess receivers I've ever drilled and tapped was on a 92 Puma leveraction from Brazil. Brand new drills and taps too!

Boolit Master

Don't mean to hijack this thread but had an interesting Taurus experience last week. A fellow brought a new Taurus short barrel 357 (not sure what model) to the range to try out, he had picked it up for around $300.00 at a local gun show the previous weekend. It seemed to shoot well, for about 25 rounds. That's when the front sight fell off. We looked for it but couldn't find.
    I had been considering their snub nose 38 would make an inexpensive CC weapon for my daughter. Changed my mind quick.

I'll give you $225 for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I have a PT92 and I prefer it to the beretta 92's I have shoot. The frame mounted safety is just more natural for me and it is nice to have the option to carry cocked and locked if I should so choose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast