PBcastcoLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Unknown 30-06 Bullets

Boolit Bub

Unknown 30-06 Bullets

Hello!

I recently acquired a whole box of miscellaneous ammo, and in it were these 3 reloads that I would like to identify the Bullets. The two tipped ones have a definite separation between the copper and the tip but not sure what they are. I haven't pulled anything yet but they are definitely reloads based on non original primers....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2311.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	208408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2312.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	208409

Those "separated tip" projectiles is what we are using now in the Army as far as AP rounds maybe someone pulled a few from linked 7.62x51mm rounds they had and loaded them in an ought'6.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Grand Master

The "tipped" ones appear to be Remington bronze tips. The other is probably a cupro nichol milsurp bullet, foreign.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    With the tipped ones, one is definitely black and the other is silver... Do they produce API in 7.62X51?

Boolit Master
    the black tip is most likely a BT rem the old ones did turn black , dip in vinegar for couple min and should clean it
    check the silver with a mag,if steel trash it

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    the black tip is most likely a BT rem the old ones did turn black , dip in vinegar for couple min and should clean it
    check the silver with a mag,if steel trash it
    Why???

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Why???
    Would you shoot steel against steel in your favorite deer rifle regardless of caliber? I would not shoot it through any of my weapons period. Steel on steel is bad juju for a barrel. JMHO , but I recommend pulling it down if it is steel. Keep the ball as a momento, use the powder for fertilizer, dump the primer in the junk BUCKET. Most likely a corrosive version. The brass is most likely worth keeping to reload. HOPE to have explained it properly and it helps- CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Master
    Since they are reloads, it's hard telling exactly what that "steel" looking bullet is... I have identical looking bullets from WW1 ammo... they are cupro-nickel jackets, not steel, as they don't corrode... good looking things, probably harder than the copper jackets we use today, but nowhere near as hard as steel...

Boolit Bub
    I probably just need to dispose of any reloads I come across as unknown, in pieces. I don't trust anyone else to load my ammo, especially if I don't know them. I'll pull apart and weigh and see if anything interesting pops up.

Boolit Grand Master

For quite a few years the CMP/DCM sold pulled and surplus bullets by the 1000 at very good prices. You could get surplus 30 cals in 150 gn, 168 gn, and 173 gn. And for awhile you could get the surplus from the military teams also. I bought pulled 168 sierras, 142 grn berger vlds, and some 38 super brass and bullets while at Perry. Clubs and state associations would buy them and surplus ammo also. The steel jacket is hard on barrels. The old tinned bullet 30-06 is dangerous to shoot as bullet would take the neck with them.

Black tip is an AP military tip, bronze tip/insert was produced factory load, the cupro-nickel could be any "cross the pond" projo or even a nickel plated projo from here. I know of a gentleman that sent bullets out to be nickel plated with his orders. I have a bunch in 35 (Rem) cal and some others. I wouldnt do it but he did and they are now mine. Interesting to say the least.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Grand Master

I think Larry Gibson and maxreloader are right. The top cartridge looks like a AP bullet. The middle one looks like it could be a Remington Bronze Point and the bottom one looks like some type of cupro-nickel FMJ bullet. I have some of those in some older ammo made in this country so they do not necessarily have to be foreign. I think Max even gave me some of them! (Thanks again Max) Its hard to tell by the pictures but the top and bottom cartridges might be factory loads from looking at the primers. I think the middle one is a hand load.

I fully agree with you about shooting unknown reloads.

Banned

I don't think that top bullet is AP. It is shaped the same, looks the same (except darker on the tip) and has that same groove as the middle cartridge. You can tell the crimp doesn't appear to be in a groove for it.

The bronze/black tipped ones makes me think of RWS H Jacket bullets. The clue for me is the groove.. the section where the jacket are formed as the letter H
    The H bullet are designed to fragment the first section of the projectile, and the rear part acts as a solid for penetration.
    The modern ones has a not so pointed tip, but i´ve got a few ones from perhaps the 50´s with sharp points. They also came as open holowpoints without the tip.

RWS made/makes different kinds of dual core bullets as the TIG/TUG and the modern Uni, Dual, H and ID. The Speed tip is a ballistic tipped boattail version of the H concept..
    Dual core bullets are popular in Europe. Especially for driven hunts, when you want hi shock and penetration in a combination.

https://rws-munition.de/en/rws-hunti...s.html#!0/34/6
    Old RWS FMJ´s also used to be cupro nickel jacketed, plenty the modern hunting bullets are too..

DM headstamp stands for Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken or Des Moines Ordnance Plant
    DEN Denver Ordnance Plant
    LC Lake City Ammunition Plant or Måtravidèki Fèmmüvek, Hungary for Armscorp USA
    Last edited by Swede 45; 11-27-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The Remington Bronze Tips do turn black with age. This is very old with cupro-nickel jackets. The later bronze jacketed bullets had the crimp above the cannelure groove (as in the OP's picture) for core retention.

Attachment 208670
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla