Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First CB deer thank you

Boolit Master
    Don't give up on that #1 try bedding the forearm hanger plenty of utube videos on that. I have never met a #1 I could not shoot 200 yard MOA groups. Nice shooting and load development. That is fine animal and you anchored it.

I will look into the No1 tricks. The rifle has shown flashes of greatness but then the last 1/3 of the barrel leads and all goes to hell. I find it hard to believe I'm pushing it to hard considering I'm only looking for 1300-1500 from a 350gr. Also finding lube on the target at 50 yds.

Boolit Master

Fine work! How was the blood trail?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Fine work! How was the blood trail?
    Nonexistent for the first 20 yards and then it started to show. It was steady after that but, not pouring out by any means. By the time I found first blood I could already see him.

Boolit Buddy
    Fantastic all the way around from pouring your own, testing, getting a fine buck & a great photo. Great job.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master
    excellent story and continuing fever for cast
    very nice buck
    enjoy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Now that hunting season is ending I will be getting back to load development. As always I'm looking for more accuracy and a little more velocity(1900-2000 is my goal). I also got an early Xmas present to bring into the mix. An NOE 360-230 GC mould. Planning to stick with the same alloy and lube. Powders on hand are: IMR4198,3031,4064,4350, Hogdgon Benchmark, 4895,Varget, 2400 and Rx7. Do you guys have any load recommendations for either mould? Thanks in advance

Boolit Grand Master
    my son uses 21.0 gr 2400 with a dacron fill
    in his Whelen for a light load
    he shot a buck this year with that combo that went 35 yds after the shot
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    my son uses 21.0 gr 2400 with a dacron fill
    in his Whelen for a light load
    he shot a buck this year with that combo that went 35 yds after the shot
    That load has popped up in my search a few times. I'm a little freaked out by the use of fillers though. I've been reading some of Larry Gibson's stuff to get me a little higher on the dacron learning curve.

Also found a few people having success with 4350 in my velocity range. Seems to slow but, worth a try too. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Whelen
    Congratulations on that fine Michigan buck ! Nice way to start the journey in lead launching.
    Another Whelen shooting but of the 375 diameter. As you already have one of the finest cases for cast shooting think slow progressive acceleration. Years back someone wrote about filling the case with the slowest powder that would produce the desired velocity. Lead responds well to gentle nudges rather than explosive instant full speed velocity.
    With 255 grainers up to 285 we shoot 860, 4831, and 4350 on the faster side. Once you have a heavy for caliber lead slug traveling 1800-1950 fps there is not any critter this side of our earth that will walk to far having been slammed with a well placed FN.

In that 35 I would not hesitate to use that 230 grainer (is it the FN one ?) cast from WW (air cooled) at 1900 fps busting up the shoulder of any corn cruncher. I would suspect a 200 + pound bean eater to get body slammed into the dry leaves. If I was more inclined to punch through the body / ribs then 50-50 (WW-range scrap). These heavy FN masses of lead do not need high velocity. They are miniature sledge hammers that stop for nothing. You will not be disappointed.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the forum, awesome first posts! Nice buck a taken with one of my favorite cartridges. 35 Whelen was a bit of a challenge to me but it all fell into place when I discovered my combination of rifle, cartridge and boolit liked to go fast. Nicely done!
    Hey lurkers; you don't have to wait until you bag a nice buck to make your first post.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171129_104255.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	208665

Mike,

It is indeed a flat nose. The Lee is on the left and the NOE on the right. The lee has a meplat around .220", NOE close to .280".

Banned

if your finding chunks of lube on your targets it isn't working properly and is also what is giving you the trouble in the barrel.
    soften the lube with some Vaseline or some oil.

Boolit Master

well done !
    I have been hunting with my .35 Whelen but have yet to score.
    I am shooting a 250 gr NOE flat nose
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Grand Master

Yep that is the one . Fine looking slugs !
    We use similar NOE's in the .378 diameters. When those monsters hit the smack is very audible.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    if your finding chunks of lube on your targets it isn't working properly and is also what is giving you the trouble in the barrel.
    soften the lube with some Vaseline or some oil.
    Is this a function of the low pressure/velocity I'm running in the 45-70? So far I've only run 4198, 3031, and 2400 at trapdoor levels. I wrote off lube failure because it's working well in the 30-40 and the 35 Whelen.

Boolit Master

Whelen,
    I have been using 20 gr of 2400 with NOE 250cast successfully without filler
    I have also had great success with 48 gr of 4064 / same slug

Attachment 208679
    atr
    Last edited by atr; 11-29-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    When i was shooting my Whelen a lot one of my favorite loads was 20 grains of 4227, with what ever cast bullet i had on hand at the time and it was always an accurate load, not the fastest but accurate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12