Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .38-55 JES rebore of a lever carbine?

.38-55 JES rebore of a lever carbine?

Is anyone shooting such a rifle? I'm considering it for a Mossberg-made carbine made for Montgomery Ward and sold as a Western Field Model 72.

If you have experience along these lines, i'm curious to know if CB accuracy was any better in the re-bored carbine than it was with the .30-30 chambering or whatever your original happened to be.

I'd consider the .35/.30-30 but will guess dies for that one are pricey.

Thanks. PBSmith

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    JES does fine work but IMO you're tossing good money after bad.

Not hard to find a decent Marlin in 35 Rem for not much more than what you would net selling what you have plus the reboring cost.

Plus the rebored mossberg will not be worth much where as the 35 will keep its value.

I am soon to do a Marlin 30-30 to 38-55 by JES. I have a friend that has done it and is very pleased. He is shooting a 265 gr. projectile accurately with ease. I already own 2 35's , so am looking for something a bit different..

Boolit Master

https://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/c...ter=35%2F30-30

Ch4D makes quality dies for many wildcats without breaking the bank for their dies.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Super Moderator

.............9.3x72Al had him re-bore and rifle a M94 in 25-35. Shoots like a house afire.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I had Jesse Ocumpah rebore a Marlin 336W to .375 Winchester, and I couldn't be happier. He does excellent work and his turnaround time is quick. I very highly recommend him and his work.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Jess did a post 64 model 94 with an aftermarket octagon barrel(Numrich) for me to 38/55. He is a pleasure to deal with, quick turnaround, and boy do it shoot. One gallon milk jugs at 200 are most often hits. A thought though 38-55 brass is hard to find sometimes, the 35/30 used 30-30 cases and the one I have is also very accurate and is kinda my new project. I bought it after it was converted but I suspect it also was a JES rebore. Either way you are in for some fun. Tip if you do the 35/30 I was splitting case necks initially when trying to go from 30/30 to 35/30. A trip through the 32 WS die before the 35/30 for has ended the split necks.

To answer the OPs question regarding accuracy, if the rifle in its ariginal form has accuracy problems other than a damaged bore, a re-bore job won't fix it. Such ills as magazine tube binding on barrel, loose barrel, fore stock binding, butt stock loose/mis bedded etc. will remain problems unless fixed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

JES is very popular on the Marlin forum, especially his 38-55. I believe he does it such that one can use either the 38-55 or the 375 as he also uses a tighter bore where one can sue 375 jacketed bullets. At this time the suitable 375 jacketed bullets are pretty hard to come by but it may still be an advantage. As to finding a bore that will out shoot a 30-30 with cast. I doubt if there is one. I have found the 30-30 to be about the easiest bore to load cast for, and that includes experiences when I was shooting old military bolt actions. I have not found any reasonable inaccurate loads in my 30-30's. I have seen some that may require a bit of work as Dan Cash just stated, but the 30-30 is my favorite cast rifle shooter.

DEP

Boolit Master
    He did my 50s vintage waffle top 30-30 (have several) to 38-55 and it is super accurate /reliable and did I mention (accurate)

Boolit Master
    35-30 good deer/black bear cartridge. Equal {I think} to the 32 special. Those who have a 357 revolver couldn't do better than have a 35-30 for a companion long gun. FWIW: From what I've read those who had their lever rifle JES re-bored to whatever caliber? Far more than not. All seem to be pleased with their decision.

At one time I was thinking of a JES re-bore for a late 70s 94 30wcf in great shape. But after some thought. I never had a problem with the rifle downing a deer in its factory original caliber. "So how do you improve on that reputation?"

Boolit Master

I recently had J.E.S. Rebore my Marlin in 38-55 Winchester the chamber and bore in my opinion are match grade.
    I did a chamber cast with a bit of the lead and rifling and it is close to perfection. He will recommend 0.375" jacketed bullets or 0 .377" cast boolit. I loaded a few 0 .378" cast boolits I received as a gift and they chambered very hard, but the 0.377" worked smooth as silk through my Marlin, and 2.5-3" groups at a 1 00 yards with open sights is pretty good for my old eyes.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    I have a No 1B in 06 that is going off to JES to become a 9.3x62. I have a 1S in 9.3x74 (factory) that shoots well with boolits, <2"@100 but I'm think the fatter 1B barrel will yield better results (and kick less) using the NOE 280.

My 9.3x74 with red pad wood.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5228.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	208530

Boolit Master

I have a Win 94 in 38-55 and a 1895 in 405 win, both bored by JES. Work is flawless. Accuracy is superb.

Thanks all for your comments. I'm building interest in the .38-55 and will probably try a rebore. Factory-chambered rifles in this caliber are absurdly priced, at least those I've looked at.

Edward and seaboltm: Just how "super" and how "superb" are you talking about in regards the accuracy of your re-bored .38-55's? To some, those adjectives would mean minute of pie-plate, others one MOA. Where are you guys on this spectrum? Thanks

Boolit Master

I have never used a bench to get to accuracy, but I do know i have no problem hitting targets with it. I doubt the 38-55 is moa. maybe 2 or 3 moa. For a lever gun with cast loads, I think thats pretty good.

Boolit Bub
    Inhad one he bored to 38/55 n shot great n kick myself all the time for trading it!! Had one
    In 356
    As well that shot great n traded it to!!

I had Jesse rebore a Marlin 30 AS to 356 Win. and I love it ! He does great work, fast and reasonable.

Boolit Master
    I had one done to 444 and was very pleased with everything.

Boolit Master

Since you mentioned the 444, I don't think Marlin is building the 444 anymore, at least they are not offered for sale in their catalog.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast