Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New production Winchester 1886 in 45-70

Boolit Master

New production Winchester 1886 in 45-70

I have had the itch for a 45-70 levergun for a good while now, and I plan to finally scratch the itch.

I am currently looking at new production Winchester 1886 rifles. I like the features and the name.

My question is does anybody have experience with the new production Winchester 1886 rifles? If so, how did you like it and would you recommend one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Love life
    a friend of mine has one and I have shot one other, the shotgun butt is much easier on the body then the metal curved one. If you are talking about the Miroku Japanese models they are well made, pricey, but overall yes I would say they are a good buy.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Get one. Outstanding quality, and very accurate. Here's two groups from mine at 114 yards.

Attachment 208381Attachment 208383

Boolit Master
    Thank you all for the informative posts. I’d be fall out of my chair happy if one I bought shot that well!

I plan to keep the loads in the black powder velocity level. They’ll get any job done and be easier on the shoulder to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on how the rebounding hammer works in yours the ones I have ordered over 1/2 have been plagued with light strikes on the primer and needed work. While I could still get parts I converted most back to the old style ignition with 1.2 cock and no safety. I see Turnbull still does this.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    Do yourself a favor and buy one of the Browning ones made a few years ago. They are a TRUE 86, not some lawyer pleasing monkeyed up rifle.

I had a modern Winchester extra-light and it misfired 25%. Then I bought the Browning. Better quality and always worked. Kept it 8 years and sold it for 30% more than it cost me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719270072

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifers View Post
    Do yourself a favor and buy one of the Browning ones made a few years ago. They are a TRUE 86, not some lawyer pleasing monkeyed up rifle.

I had a modern Winchester extra-light and it misfired 25%. Then I bought the Browning. Better quality and always worked. Kept it 8 years and sold it for 30% more than it cost me.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/719270072
    Both made by Miroku, and other than the safety are nearly identical. It's an easy fix on the safety and trigger.

Banned

the throats on the 86's are cut tight [actually to SAAMI spec] and it's common to give them a little hand reaming to get many bullets to fit.
    my Browning hasn't been cut but I worked around it through mold design.

Boolit Master
    I used to own an 1886 Short Rifle and traded it in on a "Deluxe Case Hardened" one. Both are rebounding hammer rifles and neither has shown even a hint of a problem. I'd rather that they just had a standard half cock though. They are well built rifles and I'd definitely recommend them.

Chris.

I'd sure like to git meself one o' those DCH models.....
    Last edited by rondog; 12-03-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    I expected the price difference to be higher for the Deluxe Case Hardened one, but I paid only $200 (Canadian) extra to get it. That's a pretty decent deal to get the octagonal barrel, pistol grip and checkering I think. I'm in Canada and it's a bit harder to get these rifles. My local gun shop had ordered a few from the last Shot Show. It still took several months to get it in, but it was worth the wait.

As a hunting rifle the Short Rifle would probably be the way to go, but I'm using this one is mostly for shooting at gongs.

The short throat on the Browning is maybe the only think you have to watch. It's fine when loading to published COAL for most bullets, but there are definitely some that don't quite work. I think the Speer 400gr when loaded to 2.55" will not fit. The Remington 405's work fine as do the cast bullets I've been shooting.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I expected the price difference to be higher for the Deluxe Case Hardened one, but I paid only $200 (Canadian) extra to get it. That's a pretty decent deal to get the octagonal barrel, pistol grip and checkering I think. I'm in Canada and it's a bit harder to get these rifles. My local gun shop had ordered a few from the last Shot Show. It still took several months to get it in, but it was worth the wait.

As a hunting rifle the Short Rifle would probably be the way to go, but I'm using this one is mostly for shooting at gongs.

The short throat on the Browning is maybe the only think you have to watch. It's fine when loading to published COAL for most bullets, but there are definitely some that don't quite work. I think the Speer 400gr when loaded to 2.55" will not fit. The Remington 405's work fine as do the cast bullets I've been shooting.

Chris.
    Oddly enough, there are some who find the Rem 405g JSP won't work in their gun. They wouldn't work in mine so I had the throat lengthened and now everything works well. As you can see from the pic in my first response, it didn't hurt the accuracy one bit doing it.

I had two Winchester Extra Light's, a standard and a Grade II, and both shot & handled great - I mounted a Marbles tang sight on the Gr II after this pic as taken.

They were both most accurate, and easy on the shoulder, with 300gr Nosler JSP's.

Last edited by pietro; 11-25-2017 at 01:51 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Just a note light strikes that will work with smokeless will string the B/P loads. If you notice your B/P groups stringing check for ignition problems. Personally I feel that for over $1000 you should get a good working gun and not have to start out fixing problems. But now the Winchesters are the only game in town.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Oddly enough, there are some who find the Rem 405g JSP won't work in their gun. They wouldn't work in mine so I had the throat lengthened and now everything works well. As you can see from the pic in my first response, it didn't hurt the accuracy one bit doing it.
    Wow, I'm surprised. The Rem 405gr bullets worked in my Winchesters and a no-throat Ruger #1 I used to have. I ended up throating the Ruger and it actually shot better. I gave the gunsmith a bunch of dummy round with different bullets, up to the Hornady 500gr and asked him to make the throat long enough to chamber all of them.

I think I'll leave my Winchester's chamber alone as it won't see very many jacketed bullets and the cast bullets I've got fit well enough. My only plans for it are a tang or receiver sight.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised. The Rem 405gr bullets worked in my Winchesters and a no-throat Ruger #1 I used to have. I ended up throating the Ruger and it actually shot better. I gave the gunsmith a bunch of dummy round with different bullets, up to the Hornady 500gr and asked him to make the throat long enough to chamber all of them.

I think I'll leave my Winchester's chamber alone as it won't see very many jacketed bullets and the cast bullets I've got fit well enough. My only plans for it are a tang or receiver sight.

Chris.
    Turnbull does a lot of throating on the Winchester/Miroku guns. I dropped it off and when I left it I told them to make it to their poecifications (their std. length on their guns). When I picked it up I asked how many thou. they took out? They said it was easier measured in inches....about a quarter inch. I'm was happy with the results, it shoots five shots just around 1.5" at 114 yards. Not many really do that.

We rarely see the Miroku but I bought new production Pedersoli, fantastic rifle!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Mold
    BA or anyone-- I am trying to learn more about the Pedersoli that you have and the Uberti version. They have different SKU and UPC nos and the Uberti is reported at 9.1 vs 9.8 # for the Pedersoli. In the past with several rifles the 2 companies shared major parts like the 38-55 single set trigger highwall and used eg different barrels. If so I can't understnad that 1/2 # difference the parts must be pretty much the same size and weight. I note that the Uberti is usually quoted at a lower price, but the Pedersoli 45-70 barrels in their sharps versions are very accurate..

Boolit Master
    The Pedersoli rifles look very nice and very well built! The hard part is finding gunshops that carry either model.

Boolit Bub
    Second the Browning/ Miroku guns. I got the carbine version a number of years ago and it is an outstanding rifle, very well made and authentic in details. The inside of the barrel is a thing of beauty, truly like a mirror. I haven't encountered any throat issues, but I've only shot the RCBS 405's and the 385 grain LY 457124 w 43-45 gr 3031.

If you are going to target shoot heavier loads, a shotgun butt will be a plus...if you are going to load it up above 1600 fps w 400 gr+ bullets, a butt pad on the shotgun butt would be desirable unless you like pain. Some people do. I had an acquaintance that loved shooting a .50-140 Sharps repro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast