RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really short Flintlock Rifles

Boolit Buddy

Really short Flintlock Rifles

Does anyone here have any experience with shortened flintlock rifles? I believe there is no legal restriction from creating these out of longer rifles, but I wonder what you will loose in both power and accuracy from doing this.

Also, I wonder if any states have minimum barrel lengths for hunting with these arms during the primitive muzzle-loading season.

Right know I am just in the concept phase of considering this. Also keeping an eye out for cheap pawnshop mussleloaders to try this on.

This Jaeger looks like fun. Don't know how practical or legal for hunting it is though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYn2KK0jSaM

Thanks for any insight.

Boolit Master

I got one its called a pistol

All kidding aside that's a cool concept, the way they rain proof the frizen is cool

Boolit Master
    That thing certainly looks like fun.
    Can you say 'shoulder fired pistol' ?

The 1861 Enfield musketoon was 24" barrel in its day

Boolit Buddy
    The Austrian 1842 calvary carbine in .71 cal has also interested me, but using a vintage gun with moderate or full loads just doesn't sound like a good idea.

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitari...2_item_045.htm

Boolit Master

depends where you live in free America no problem, in controlled Amerika problem

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd stick to a longer barrel, both for longer sighting plane, and more velocity. They are a short range proposition. A Jeager with a barrel not under 22" would serve you better.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In Remembrance
    BATFE considers these "non-guns" so OK there. States may have different restrictions though, check with your DNR. I don't know your reason for a drastically shortened rifle, but would agree with Waksupi.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    We have a couple of fairly old shooters who take part in our monthly muzzle loader matches and both have shoulder issues so they had a gunsmith shorten T/C Hawken's to about 2/3 original barrel length. Unless you knew what an original was like, you'd never know as the work was fine. If you are going to do this I'd suggest talking with a local well known gunsmith who is honest and all. They will not generally do anything illegal. Also check your state's firearm laws but as I have found in most cases muzzle loaders do not apply to the laws of center fire rifles.

Musketoon versus a P-53 is a great comparison.

Or how about Ren
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ren.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	208457

versus Stimpy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stimpy.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	208458

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, and especially waksupi. I plan on saving my pennies for a Track of the Wolf Jaeger kit, one of which has a 31" barrel. I would have a hard time justifying cutting it, at least at first.

I am not sure I am advanced enough for one of those kits. How difficult are they?

Boolit Buddy
    I like Ren. Have 2 CVA muzzle loaders, bought both inexpensively. That may happen to one of them.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    The Austrian 1842 calvary carbine in .71 cal has also interested me, but using a vintage gun with moderate or full loads just doesn't sound like a good idea.

http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitari...2_item_045.htm
    A neighbor has an original one of those in flintlock configuration. He uses a patched round ball and 70 grs. of Goex 3Fg to shoot deer. He has taken several which were one-shot kills and as many others which required some trailing and finishing off and a coup de gras with his backup repop .69 cal flinter 1763 Charleville pistol, http://www.veteranarms.com/Reproduct...le-Pistol.html in which he shoots 40 grains. He limits shots to about 40 yards and says it's as effective as a 12-ga. slug. Pistol is effective rabbit gun to 50 feet with 3/4 oz. of No.6 shot and 40 grains of powder.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have also contemplated doing just that thing with a muzzleloader rifle. I have an old TC barrel and odd stuff that i have planned for just such a project.

I do not know what would be different between revolver hunting and using such a shortened rifle. Besides it would be a hoot to play with and develope dif loads for.

The ultimate blanket gun in my opinion!

Boolit Grand Master

Closest I ever got was a copy of an Allen Buggy rifle with a detachable stock. Barrel was 16" long and in 44 calibre we were shooting 40 grains of FFFg. Good for 25 yard target but not a hunting gun.

Boolit Master
    Here's a .50 caliber Monarch cap lock I picked up at a pawn shop for $50.00 and turned into a trade gun. The PO had cut the curved portion of the stock off along with part of the patch box, lost the wedge plates and used dry wall screws to hold the trigger guard on. I ended up turning it into a trade gun with steel hardware just because it was so ugly. It has a 18 inch barrel which appears to be stock and is a hoot to shoot out to about 50 yds. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carbine 01.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	208558 Guess if you could find a beat up Hawkins it would be possible to cut it down along the lines of this one.

Boolit Master
    All those look like a good deer gun for muzzleloading season when up in a tree stand. Around me, deer shots are inside 50yards.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    Thanks guys, and especially waksupi. I plan on saving my pennies for a Track of the Wolf Jaeger kit, one of which has a 31" barrel. I would have a hard time justifying cutting it, at least at first.

I am not sure I am advanced enough for one of those kits. How difficult are they?
    I haven't looked at their parts, but this should come with a swamped barrel. For Pete's sake, don't cut it shorter. They handle like a dream.
    A Jaeger rifle is one I would say takes a somewhat advance builder, to do a good job.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    This is something I, too, have contemplated, though not nearly as short for a couple of reasons. 1) With this being an abstract issue (short barreled rifles) some officers may not know the laws. One could find themselves detained or even their weapon confiscated, and if it were fired it would likely be given back in a mess. 2) The effective range and accuracy by a moderate length barrel (16-20").

My 24" Lyman Deerstalker is rather handy, but I figure a .54 cal/28 ga of legal smokeless length would be that much more handy in thick stuff if tracking is necessary offering better accuracy and more power than a handgun, especially if it is a wounded hog one is searching for.

An Uberti Remington Carbine with 30 grns of 3F and a ball produces an average of 1233 fps giving 473 ft/lbs of energy. That's not bad at all, though it's that much better with his 200 grn bullet giving well over 600 ft/lbs.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/ind...c,10439.0.html

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    This is something I, too, have contemplated, though not nearly as short for a couple of reasons. 1) With this being an abstract issue (short barreled rifles) some officers may not know the laws. One could find themselves detained or even their weapon confiscated, and if it were fired it would likely be given back in a mess.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/ind...c,10439.0.html
    Live as a slave! I prefer the officer knows what he is doing or I think my lawyer says 1/2 million or more settlement for his stupidity.

ML are not regulated except by the state like that, not the Feds. If that officer is so stupid due I care if he is fired NOT.

I was a sworn officer. Don't know the law it is let it go period per any training today and the last 40 years. Call me contraire but way it is.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Live as a slave! I prefer the officer knows what he is doing or I think my lawyer says 1/2 million or more settlement for his stupidity.

ML are not regulated except by the state like that, not the Feds. If that officer is so stupid due I care if he is fired NOT.

I was a sworn officer. Don't know the law it is let it go period per any training today and the last 40 years. Call me contraire but way it is.
    Regardless a very short barrel just doesn't have much oomph for hunting and is only useful at short ranges. However I've also considered the attachable stocks to percussion revolvers. I'm sure that could very well also ruin my hunt or enjoyment, even if but for a moment while things are discussed. I'd much prefer to be left alone doing what I'm doing as it would be legal than to be bothered. Mostly this would just be by a game warden I suppose unless I missed a speed reduction or stop sign somehow.

Besides who would care to go through these hassles? A) Your hunt for the day may well be ruined. Compensated? Nope. B) Your day being put on hold as the officer checks into the legality of what you have wasting your time and possibly creating other issues such as missing the am/pm hunt, missing the time to spend with family or hunting buddies, or what have you. Compensated? Nope. C) If you were jailed and your vehicle impounded that would be a nightmare who'd want? Sure you may be compensated. Who wants that? I'd much prefer to live my life as I am than go to jail, lose my gun(s) and maybe my vehicle, and possibly my job for some money. I like money but I like my freedom to be much more. And if a few inches of barrel is all it takes that seems rather easy. Besides all I truly lost was a little bit of weight loss and mobility for a bit more power, accuracy, and range all without any concern.
    Last edited by rodwha; 11-30-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast