MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington in trouble?

Remington in trouble?

Financial problems as their gun sales are down and they have big debt.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-20171117.html
    Whatever!

I can see why their sales are slumping. I bought two Remington products last year, an 1895 Cowboy 45-70 that had chunks missing from the rifling and the second version of the R-51 9mm pistol that is the worst pistol I've ever owned. Look at all the rebates Remington is putting out there to get some cash flow. In my opinion with their nonexistent QC and very poor warranty repair service they deserve financial problems. JMHO Gp

Boolit Master
    So what unwanted and sold firearms do they have?
    Last edited by jdfoxinc; 11-26-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Fyrsy lyrnbta tipe

Boolit Master

Remington has absorbed a number of firearms manufacturers (DPMS, H&R, Marlin, Dakota Arms, etc.) over the past 10-15 years and, every time, borrowed the cash needed for the acquisition. Now, they're leveraged up to their armpits and, with the firearms market declining, can't keep up with the debt service and meet operating costs at the same time. Only major entity with a credit rating worse than Remington's is the State of Illinois. Yeah, I'd say they're in trouble and there ain't gonna be no government bailout when they go belly-up.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    When I was a kid, several centuries ago , we had Remingtons and they were always well built guns of very good quality, fit and finish - guns that would last generations. Unfortunately, they, like many of the old time gun manufacturers, have suffered from the bean counters and poor quality control.

One thing I don't understand is that as technology has improved - I'm talking CNC, tooling, etc., how it is that instead of quality even surpassing what was made in the early 1900's up through the 50s? And Remington isn't the only one by any means.

When Remington announced their R51 9mm, I got kid of excited about it . . . but that soon waned when their production guns obviously didn't match what they were showing at the shows and the samples they put out for the "gun writers" to swoon over. I know they addressed the problem and I have read posts where some who have them really like them - and some who can't dump them fast enough.

I'm in the market for a .380 pistol just to use for plinking and fun shooting as I want to start reloading the 380 ACP again. I am going to take a look at the R380 as I have read some good things on it so maybe they got one right. However, for most guns, I would much rather buy a good, well built vintage rifle, shotgun or pistol than some of the **** that is being put out there today. There are many manufacturers that DO put out decent products and there is no denying it so I''m not saying everything being made today lacks quality. But, all anyone has to do is peruse through the racks of new guns in a guns store today to handle, feel and look at what is "good" and what isn't.

It's a shame that Remington, Colt, etc. are having financial issues as no one likes to see old companies who had good reputations take a nose dive - and I really do hope that they can pull out of it. Every company can have "issues" and sometimes issues with design/quality - doesn't make any difference if it is gun companies, car manufactures, machine manufacturers, etc. However, if companies like Ruger and Henry can design, make and sell good quality products - regardless if you like what they make or not, then other companies should be able to do the same. In the end though, it's all about those who are running the company and whether they are capable of doing that. Unfortunately, there are too many bean counters and CEOs in today's manufacturing world that are more concerned about their own individual perks and paychecks and how to squeeze an extra dollar out of sales to support those things than there are who put quality first . . . and in the end, it's those employees that work for them trying to make a living but having to live with the "powers that be" and work under their criteria who end up suffering the most when a company goes belly up and the executives waltz away with their "golden parachutes".

I'm guessing time will tell if Remington is able to pull out of it or not and it will be a shame if they don't. But, if you don't put out a quality product at an affordable price . . . at some point the doors will close.

Boolit Grand Master

I hate to see this. There is a Remington Ammunition plant near me, one of the better employers in the area, and even I am not a fan of their ammo. Its a shame!

Banned

I was told a long time ago by a firearms industry insider that they company that bought Remington has a bad habit of buying companies and running them into the ground, then dumping them. Seems to look that way for Remington. Wonder how these problems Remington is having is affecting DPMS and the other companies Remington bought?

Boolit Master

Re Rem QC - I bought an El Cheapo 783 in 7Rem Mag (new) for a very good price. I haven't shot it much. but the last time I DID shoot it - I noticed the horizontal stadia hair in the scope, instead of running from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, runs from 8:45 to 2:45. I hadn't noticed it before, so it might have just happened, but...
    (vertical Is vertical...)
    Last edited by Echo; 11-25-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

I can't comment on the larger issues but recently purchased two of the RM380s for $119 each after the rebate (which I have not yet received). They are well fitted, all sharp angles cleaned up, and have good checkering on the frontstrap. Trigger pull is horrible, but they became very shootable when I quit trying to stack the trigger and just pulled through in one motion. No issues with either after one range session, and they are prepared to assume their lives as truck guns. Well worth the money IMO.
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 11-24-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typos

It's a sad state of affairs...have to agree with bedbugbilly, very well said Sir.

I have to believe that if they were to put as much interest in the quality of their products as do they in the 'bottom line'...American companies would be known for manufacturing the finest firearms in the world.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Super Moderator

The 700 series rifle trigger recall couldn't have helped them either. It really is too bad, because they were capable of making an excellent product. Iv'e got a 700 in 30-06 that I would never get rid of, sweet shooting rifle.

I believe it is Freedom Group who is the parent Company.

When they acquired Marlin, there was a drastic decline in quality. Some of the long term Marlin employees were told that anyone can build a lever gun. I hate to see any firearm manufacturer go under but without quality, you have more than a bad rap.

Boolit Master
    It all doesnt make sense.
    Why would Remington go out and buy Dakota when they got their own 700?? makes no sense.
    Why would they buy H&R; as if they could not build their own single shot?
    Why buy Marlin,; just to get into the lever action business?
    Why buy DPMS, when the AR is more cloned than anything else?? could they not clone it themselves? S&W did that.
    Why can't they have good quality control in today's world of CNC machines?
    Why can't they make money when CNC machines take away labor costs?

Cerberus Capital Management -> Freedom group -> Remington -> Marlin, AAC, etc. California State Teachers' Retirement System -> Cerberus invests their money and CalSTRS bailed on any gun related investments.
    Unfortunately, Cerberus hasn't found a buyer they want to sell to (there was one offer). Rem bought too much stuff, therefore quality suffered, sales dropped and they are in worse situation. Just typical stuff.
    Why not make their own - development costs, tooling, etc.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Some time back I heard about the left wing liberals wanting to buy up all the gun makers so that they could bankrupt them.............as a way of getting rid of the gun problem

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Some time back I heard about the left wing liberals wanting to buy up all the gun makers so that they could bankrupt them.............as a way of getting rid of the gun problem
    I'm surprised George Soros just doesn't buy up all the gun companies up. He has 10 times the amount of money needed to.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    I'm surprised George Soros just doesn't buy up all the gun companies up. He has 10 times the amount of money needed to.
    I guess they never thought about the guns already out there and new manufacture popping up.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    They should be rolling in the dough. They stiffed me on a cash rebate last year...I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

No more Remington anything for me. Marlin, too.
    The enemy of good is better.

Banned - Charles1990/Eldon/Happy Warrior/Red Jackson/Henry VIII/Mr Humble
    The 721/2/5 were the last good rifles they made.

Boolit Master

Build junk die don't care about 50 years ago production and service/warrantee NOW counts and the dropped the ball.

Do not fret a company that can will take them away in the American way!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast