RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leftover Turkey

Banned

be carefull with that theory. You can for 90 minutes and some of the reason is to get then internal temp of the meat up past a 160 degrees. If you start out with cold cooked meat or cold raw meat you still have to get it up to the same temp to kill bacteria. I do AT LEAST 60 minutes with anything with meat in it. Like canning chilli or spaghetti sause I made a big batch of that has meat in it. Now you might be able to reduce that time if your starting out with just cooked hot meat but not cold meat.

Moderator Emeritus

Vac bagged 6 meals of turkey with stuffing and 4 of just stuffing and 4 of just turkey. Plus 1/2 quart bag of shreds for a batch of soup. Carcass stock made 5 1/2 pints plus a quart jar for soup use.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I didn't cook a big meal this year , I'm missing the leftovers . My son came over and we had a sandwich , piece of store bought pecan pie and watched a movie . Always enjoyed turkey sandwiches , turkey hash and turkey stew after . Turkey is a good deal !
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

If I had freezer space I would grab an on sale turkey but I am maxed out right now with just getting 202 pounds of beef....

Boolit Grand Master

GUMBO !
    Around here that's the only way to use up the leftover carcass (makes good stock) add some andouille sausage, a little tasso and any leftover turkey ....man that's some good eating .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    How do you guys and gals tolerate that horrible "left-over turkey" flavor?!?!?!?! For decades we have tried to re-warm, re-cook, warm-up, use left-over turkey and it all tastes like c<<p! I have been in good 4* restaurants and sent back "fresh" turkey dinners because I could taste left-over turkey!

We have tried turkey casserole, turkey & eggs, turkey sausage, turkey sandwiches, turkey meatloaf, turkey tacos, turkey everything.......it all tastes like old left-over turkey!!!!!

The only meat you can warm over successfully is fresh pork, ham, and fish. Turkey, chicken, beef all taste horrible when warmed over after cooking and then being refrigerated or frozen.

We throw away more "leftovers" than we ever eat! I love a good beef roast, but usually throw most of the leftovers away. Medium rare can be warmed over only once.

More power to 'ya if you can use old left-over turkey! Our family has voted unanimously to never cook a turkey again. Only spiral sliced hams and prime rib roasts for the holidays. And my son gets an 18-20# bird every year from his business for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas! He gives them to charity.

Boolit Grand Master

How do you eat ham? I find it one of the worse meats available. It's personal taste. I have no issues reheating any meat. It tastes better when freshly cooked but it still tastes good warmed up. Truthfully I eat a lot of leftovers cold. Pasta and potatoes have to be heated up. But a cold steak or slice of pizza is fine by me.

Moderator Emeritus

Tastes like turkey to me *shrug* sure it isn't fresh but still tasty. Vac bagging leftovers prevents oxidation that can give that freezer taste...

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is in the freezer. There will be a batch of turkey enchiladas, and a turkey tamale casserole.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Wild Rice Turkey Soup coming up soon. Colder weather next week so good timing for it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12