Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leftover Turkey

Boolit Master

Leftover Turkey

Traditionally the Friday after Thanksgiving is meant to be a frenzy of shopping, but, for my household today is the day I pressure can leftover turkey.
    7 to 9 quarts will supply us with turkey noodle soup for the next year.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Good plan; at my home those turkey sandwiches are at the top of the list.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Banned

Turkey noodle soup is what we do with the left over turkey too.

Boolit Master

I just boil it down, pick the bones and strain the broth through a sieve and try to make sure each jar gets the same amount of turkey and broth. Pressure can it and add noodles later when it's you want to eat it.

Banned
    I had all 5 of my sons and their wives and the kids, my grandkids over for T-Day what leftovers are you talking about?

Boolit Buddy
    +1 Leftovers? What leftovers?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    I had all 5 of my sons and their wives and the kids, my grandkids over for T-Day what leftovers are you talking about?
    You need to buy a bigger thrkey!

Moderator Emeritus

I make stock and freeze it, freeze vac bagged meat. And freeze meat with stuffing vac bagged for quick meals. 20 pound turkey and only 3 of us eating it this year...

Banned

I do what a lot do but I'm a bit lazier. I vacuum pack it like mary does and when I want a hot turkey sandwich I just take out a pack and GOD forbid add a jar of store bought gravy. Or buy a couple cans of chicken broth and make turkey noodle or turkey and rice soup. Ill sometimes buy a whole turkey and the wife will cook it just for the two of us so I can get lots of leftovers to vacuum pack. Its cheap enough meat that a guy shouldn't only cook a bird a couple times a year on a holiday.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Problem solved.......! I HATE turkey so this year we did a 12# smoked prime rib roast. Excellent at the T-day dinner and left-overs are heavenly! I will never cook a turkey again! Ham for Christmas just around the road.

And no more turkey soup, turkey casserole, turkey and eggs, turkey meatloaf for months at a time!

Banger

Boolit Buddy
    Wife had to work till 9:00 on thanksgiving so ours is in the smoker now. Got a deal for 29 cents a lb so one is whole and cut other one up in parts. Parts are on the Traeger and Whole bird and Breast of #2 are in the electric smoker. Now to make the rest of the dinner for when she gets off today.

Boolit Grand Master

Leftover Turkey

I gave most of it away to family in to go bags. I've been eating leftovers twice a day. Only one plate full left which is good. I'm tired of eating it.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 11-25-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

We had a fresh 16 lb bird for us and the two grandkids. We ate half and put half in the freezer. I will soup the bones, also frozen along with two others she cooked for the church social, and we will eat turkey again in a few weeks as Florentine, sandwiches and just sliced. I enjoy turkey and bought two last week, one for Christmas and one for the smoker. Grandkids had turkey dinner for school lunch Tuesday and leftovers Wed. before Thanksgiving. They are so tired of turkey they are ready to gobble.
    Last edited by MT Gianni; 11-26-2017 at 08:29 PM.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

The only part of the bird I love is the drumsticks, unless it's a deep fried turkey. Turkey pot pie would be my choice for the rest of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    You need to buy a bigger thrkey!
    +1 for a bigger turkey.
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Boolit Buddy
    I love the fact that the Turkey's go on sale after a holiday. Dad and I scoop up several and make Turkey jerky from the breast meat and roast the rest freeze or can the meat and broth for later use. We do kinda like Hickory as far as canning process. Works great. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Moderator Emeritus

Hands down best turkey is on the weber kettle grill. Indirect fire(coals on the sides, I have charcoal rails to hold them back). 10-12 pound bird takes 2-3 hours at most. We used to toss one on at the lake and go fish 2 hours, supper was ready when we came back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I do what a lot do but I'm a bit lazier. I vacuum pack it like mary does and when I want a hot turkey sandwich I just take out a pack and GOD forbid add a jar of store bought gravy. Or buy a couple cans of chicken broth and make turkey noodle or turkey and rice soup. Ill sometimes buy a whole turkey and the wife will cook it just for the two of us so I can get lots of leftovers to vacuum pack. Its cheap enough meat that a guy shouldn't only cook a bird a couple times a year on a holiday.

Moderator Emeritus

Leftovers in fridge, will have friends over tomorrow to use up more of them then vac bag. Stock is simmering, in an hour I will strain that and put it in canning jars then freeze that. When I want gravy with leftover turkey just pull a jar out, thaw in hot water, simmer and thicken!

Banned

My favorite is after a day in the smoker but its a lot more work and my wife isn't that crazy about it. She likes them baked or deep fried. I'm a skin man myself. best part of the chicken or turkey. My dad isn't and he will just inject one and stick it in the pressure cooker and pick the meat and bag it and save the broth. Couple hours in a pressure cooker and you don't even have to carve the meat. Just pick it off the bare bones. Its all good. Only thing I insist on no matter how I cook one anymore is that its brined overnight. makes for much juicier meat and more flavor if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Hands down best turkey is on the weber kettle grill. Indirect fire(coals on the sides, I have charcoal rails to hold them back). 10-12 pound bird takes 2-3 hours at most. We used to toss one on at the lake and go fish 2 hours, supper was ready when we came back in.

Boolit Master

I also pressure can leftover meats when supply exceeds a few day's eating. The company I work for has a large conference center and from time to time badly overorders on catering. Cancelled flights, bad RSVP counting sometimes all add up to trays of leftover meats when those happen to be the menu item of choice.
    I take home bags of the meat and cube and can it, perhaps mixed w celery and onion or some such.
    I can at 10lbs for 30 minutes, since the meat is already cooked. The canning books all assume you're starting from raw when they say 90-120 minutes.

Makes for super fast chili w a can of tomatoes and can of beans (sorry to those who get twitchy about beans in chili, it's cheap protein!). Also good to make fast chicken salad sandwiches with when in a hurry. When packing permits, I even take some jars camping, since it doesn't need refrigerated.

Can away!

Bulldogger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast