MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Squirrel calls

Banned

Squirrel calls

Does anyone use one for hunting squirrels? I've always wondered. I enjoy squirrel hunting and this year while on a deer stand could hear so many barking in the woods all around me, just got me to wondering.

I use one and also I use my mouth also.it calls some in.The caller I use was my dad's .We used it when him and I had hunted together.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I used coins on the serrated edge.
    No squirrels in Amarillo
    But grew up in North Louisiana
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned

Funny, I pulled up a youtube video of a guy using one, and one of the cats got real excited and started looking around the computer to see where the sound was coming from, then on the guy's video. a cat came in to his call. Maybe these things work better on cats, LOL.

It's usually pretty easy around here to find a good spot, sit and get a few, but the call might be fun to try.

Boolit Master
    i use my mouth.

even called one up to me at home.

i said "come here rocky...i have a cookie for you".

and come he does!

Boolit Master

I have a bellows call. It barks nicely and gets them sounding off so I can then put a stalk on and blast them. I have a distress whistle too. It replicates an injured baby squirrel. It really gets them chattering and tail wagging. I have used both to great effect.

Lately I have been sucking air through my front teeth for a whistle and that gets them treed and tail wagging too. I do it mainly at work at the Park when I'm walking from place to place and it works well. They get excited.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I've used a box call home made works best in the spring time,
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I've found that all they do is let every squirrel in hearing distance know I'm in the woods!

Boolit Master
    Yes, I've used the bellows barker type some have a squealer in the barrel as well. I've had them work pretty well. I recently found them on clearance at K-Mart. I bought every one for a dollar or two each.

Boolit Master

I have a mouth call, it's a steel one the size of a quarter with a hole in the middle. It worked well in NC, but just so so here in TN, so I guess it's more for fox squirrels than greys.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Earlier today I tried a mouse squeaker on the greys behind the house . It got them raising cain pretty good . I could pinpint tree rats that I hadn't seen , of the ones right at me 1 totally ignored me the other 3 high tailed it to the den.
    Last edited by marshall623; 11-24-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Banned

I'm gonna try one soon and see. Usually not much trouble finding a few to shoot, but the calling sounds like fun.

Boolit Master
    I have used two different types for many years....the first was a wooden box with a brass plate...you ran a rasp like striker over the plate. It made a noise not unlike rubbing coin edges. Herter's made it. It worked to an extent. Somewhere along the way I lost it.

I do have a small bellows call with a squeaker that I picked up. The bellows when rapped with the palm or against the leg does a nice job of imitating a barking squirrel. The squeaker is mouth blown and supposed to imitate the distress call of a squirrel. The barker works nicely, the squeaker just scares the heck out of them.

Give them a try, they are a lot of fun. I love easing through the woods with a 22, hunting squirrels.

Boolit Master

Mr. Squirrel mouth call is the best I've found so far, A Primos bellows is a close second.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB