Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Simple Trimer Drill Jig

Banned

Simple Trimer Drill Jig

This drill jig lines up the drill with the trimmer and holds the drill centered.
    This is a prototype made out of scrap so the pieces aren't all the right length.
    I built this to convert 2500 9 X 19 nickel brass to 9 X 18 Makarov

You will have to determin how fast to run your drill in relation to how sharp your cutter is

**WARNING wear eye protection, this can throw shavings a good distance**

*NOTE* You need to keep the drill running until you after you retract the cutter
    to keep the socket from slipping off the nuts.
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-20-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Banned
    i got an old lyman case trimmer set up with a drill. i also have a chuck with adjustable stop in it that i use on my trimmer to take the burr off my bullet jackets after trimming them prior to swaging.

Banned

Simple but effective. Thanks for posting that.

Moderator Emeritus

One of the best rifle brass trimmers I have used https://littlecrowgunworks.com/produ...v=7516fd43adaa hold the case in your fingers and run it into the trimmer. I can do 1k cases in a little over an hour.

Banned
    Mary, Little crow is great for rifle, unfortunately, they don't make a handgun brass trimmer that I could find. No shoulder on the brass

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I like the idea!

And I really like the little labels in the last pic.
    LOL

I use a Lee setup. Not the best, but since I do not need to trim cases very often, it is fine for me.

Thanks for sharing your idea!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    I've got over 1500 done so far-- <1000 to go. glad I only have to do handgun brass once

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks good!!
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

They were working on a pistol case trimmer last I heard...

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Mary, Little crow is great for rifle, unfortunately, they don't make a handgun brass trimmer that I could find. No shoulder on the brass

Boolit Grand Master

Looks good, on the stack of spacers tie them together with screws or glue so one unit.
    I made a base for my drill press from a old rcbs collet and mount use a cutter and pilot in the chuck. This works very good and quick as I don't start and stop the drill press just change the case slide back t stop nd trim the spindle holds the cutter up out of the way. I can also neck turn with it. One mod was a better stop for the drill press, and I may still put a fixed stop pin on the base itself to contact the stop plate.

A simple angle plate could be made to bolt the trimmer to and clamp on the table. the cutter shaft in the chuck set to height and the original stop used also. I would fit a rib support into the angle plate if made from wood to help stiffen it. 2 pieces of 1 or 1 1/2 hard wood 4" wide one 4" long the other long enough to mount trimmer to. Square cut the endsand 2 hardwood dowels 3/8" dia and 3 3" wood screws counter sunk below surface. glue dowels and angle together leave screws out for now and let cure. When dry, on a good table saw dust faces to square up in both directions. Install screws with a little glue to lubricate and help hold them. If desired add the stiffening rib in the back. Finish the wood with a good finish. When mounting the trimmer put shaft in chuck tight and bring angle plate up snug to it. Spot holes thru with a transfer punch. Drill in drill press for screws or bolts and mount to angle plate.
    Once done a simple rail can be bolted down on the table or it can be clamped in place to use. If base of angle plate is made wide enough to cover slots it can be bolted down.
    The squarer and truer you get this the better. By cutting square edges first then after gluing and doweling, going back and a light clean up cut on the faces with the guide set to 0* first short leg then long leg you will get a very square set up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Looks good, on the stack of spacers tie them together with screws or glue so one unit.
    I made a base for my drill press from a old rcbs collet and mount use a cutter and pilot in the chuck. This works very good and quick as I don't start and stop the drill press just change the case slide back t stop nd trim the spindle holds the cutter up out of the way. I can also neck turn with it. One mod was a better stop for the drill press, and I may still put a fixed stop pin on the base itself to contact the stop plate.

A simple angle plate could be made to bolt the trimmer to and clamp on the table. the cutter shaft in the chuck set to height and the original stop used also. I would fit a rib support into the angle plate if made from wood to help stiffen it. 2 pieces of 1 or 1 1/2 hard wood 4" wide one 4" long the other long enough to mount trimmer to. Square cut the endsand 2 hardwood dowels 3/8" dia and 3 3" wood screws counter sunk below surface. glue dowels and angle together leave screws out for now and let cure. When dry, on a good table saw dust faces to square up in both directions. Install screws with a little glue to lubricate and help hold them. If desired add the stiffening rib in the back. Finish the wood with a good finish. When mounting the trimmer put shaft in chuck tight and bring angle plate up snug to it. Spot holes thru with a transfer punch. Drill in drill press for screws or bolts and mount to angle plate.
    Once done a simple rail can be bolted down on the table or it can be clamped in place to use. If base of angle plate is made wide enough to cover slots it can be bolted down.
    The squarer and truer you get this the better. By cutting square edges first then after gluing and doweling, going back and a light clean up cut on the faces with the guide set to 0* first short leg then long leg you will get a very square set up.
    Do you have a picture.

Boolit Grand Master

Sorry none of the one I made from the used rcbs collet and mount. Its very similar to the forester drill press base. Mine is simply a base plate and upright block with the collet sleeve mounted into it Stands about 4" tall and a 6" square 3/8 thick flat base. The upright is 1" thick X 3" wide X 2 3.4 or so tall. the bottom end is machined 1" thick and 2" wide this leaves a step for the ends of the collets drawbar to turn. In use 1/2 turn does good tightening and releasing the case for me. The 1" X 3" top has a radious machined down the face to mount the collet sleeve in with the original screw hole. I have enough room behind the collet sleeve I may drill and tap a 1/4 28 hole for a screw to act as a dead stop instead of the drill presses stop. would require a clearance hole from the bottom up of .3125 - .375 and just leave a 1/2" to 3/4" of #9 hole for the 1/4 28 thread to be tapped in and a jam nut to lock it.
    The angle plate set up is a spin off from my trade as a tool maker a lot of jobs get set up on an angle plate to machine and a lot of drill press fixtures start out as an angle plate. Its a simple 90* corner to set up parts or tooling at 90* for use or machining. By making one as stated above the trimmer can be mounted and ran very effiecently in a drill press. With the right table height setting only 3/4" to an 1" of travel would be needed. Set up for this with the angle plate is easy and quick. The big thing is getting the plate square and true to start with. I may make one from some maple here in the future though. What would be ideal for this set up would be to dedicate a bench top drill press to it and used for it only.

Boolit Master

I did the same thing except I laid the drill on it's side. I used a Makita drill and chucked the bolt (minus the bolt head)into the drill chuck.
    Why nickel brass? Would not plain brass be easier to trim?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151007_195446.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	208501
    This is my set up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post

This is my set up.
    That looks slick. I'd be afraid of putting to much pressure on the trimmer with the press. Do you get it set up then set the stop on the press to avoid over pressure?

I use the Dillon RT 1200 for 223/556 and RCBS case trimmer for all others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick O'Shay View Post

This is my set up.
    Nice brace setup. Is that just a 3450 RPM motor on the grinder or something faster?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    This drill jig lines up the drill with the trimmer and holds the drill centered.
    This is a prototype made out of scrap so the pieces aren't all the right length.
    I built this to convert 2500 9 X 19 nickel brass to 9 X 18 Makarov

You will have to determin how fast to run your drill in relation to how sharp your cutter is

**WARNING wear eye protection, this can throw shavings a good distance**

*NOTE* You need to keep the drill running until you after you retract the cutter
    to keep the socket from slipping off the nuts.
    where can I get a custom splatter shield like in picture?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place