Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Browning .40-65 Bullet Design & Load Specs

Boolit Buddy

Browning .40-65 Bullet Design & Load Specs

Hey guys,

If you own a Browning .40-65 BPCR you may be interested in an article I just posted. Titled, Bullet Design & Loading Specifications for the Browning .40-65 BPCR it can be accessed at the following link:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Bullet_Desi...0-65_BPCR.html

BTW, if you subscribe to The Single Shot Exchange Magazine, the article was published in two parts in the September and October editions of the magazine.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Buddy
    Your article says that you decided you like the bullet you designed best. You didn't say why or show any groups fired with it. Inquiring minds would like to know...........

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Tite View Post
    Your article says that you decided you like the bullet you designed best. You didn't say why or show any groups fired with it. Inquiring minds would like to know...........
    I've been shooting it for several months and my silhouette scores have improved significantly. I'm now consistently shooting AAA, averaging 27 to 29 for 40 shot match, hitting typically 8 turkeys & 8 rams on a good day. I typically run the pigs and hit 2 to 3 chickens. I did try several loads (60, 62, 64, 66 & 68 grains) of Swiss 1.5 F at 200 yds. 68 grs resulted in the best vertical spread at 1.75", which is what I've been loading. The worse was 3" at 66 grs. Yes, 68 grs is a hot load for a .40-65 but seems to yield the best accuracy in my Browning. Velocity is around 1330 fps. Compression is 0.120". I did attempt running some 500 yd tests at a local range but did not have a spotter and the targets were rectangular steel plates, which are tough to determine a spread other than listening for the steel ring of a hit. As I did in the tests in the article I need to test a few loads around 68 grs at 500 meters with large cardboard targets to determine the average spread.

Wayne
    NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF member, Author/Publisher of the Browning BPCR book.

Boolit Master
    Wayne,
    One of the things you did not mention in yourarticle is the recent use by some shooters of Bore Pigs,etc
    for fast wiping ,esp in Silhouette
    Arnie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasmac View Post
    Hey guys,

If you own a Browning .40-65 BPCR you may be interested in an article I just posted. Titled, Bullet Design & Loading Specifications for the Browning .40-65 BPCR it can be accessed at the following link:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Bullet_Desi...0-65_BPCR.html

BTW, if you subscribe to The Single Shot Exchange Magazine, the article was published in two parts in the September and October editions of the magazine.

Wayne
    Wayne,

The favorable comments concerning the Precision Cast Bullet Design software in your most informative and well written article are sincerely appreciated.

You mentioned that your version of the design software could not display body bands of multiple lengths.

The new version and also your version can display up to three different body band lengths by utilizing the multiple crimp groove option in it's square or round groove configuration to mimic either square or round grease grooves.

I am enclosing a few images of the software design of the BACO money bullet to illustrate the versatility of the various component features.

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post
    Wayne,
    One of the things you did not mention in yourarticle is the recent use by some shooters of Bore Pigs,etc
    for fast wiping ,esp in Silhouette
    Arnie
    Yep, there seems to be a bit of interest in using bore pigs, but the article did not mention their use because I have not tried them. No doubt one pass through the bore with a bore pig results in a more effective cleaning process than does a single pass with a dampened patch. The question in my mind is does it result in reduce leading & increase accuracy over wiping. I've shot with a couple of guys using bore pigs & I'm not convinced it's an advantage. No doubt there are others that believe differently. Concerning the amount of lube a bullet needs to hold when using bore pigs, I'd put them in the same catagory as wiping between shoots.

Wayne

Boolit Master
    Mainly, the bore pigs and similar are
    "wiping with one stroke" thereby saving time on the line.
    rather than
    e.g. as I wipe with two wet plus one dry for my Paper patching
    or two wet for ggs.
    Arnie

Wayne

You're statement concerning the differences in your design includes the following "The bullet is close to the specification with the following changes: the 1st lube groove is slightly longer than the rest"

Yet figure 8 doesn't substantiate that. Is that the picture of their mould or yours?

My favorite GG bullet for the 40-65 is a Brooks Design similiar to the the money bullet. but the old Snover was hard to beat for mid range.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    Wayne

You're statement concerning the differences in your design includes the following "The bullet is close to the specification with the following changes: the 1st lube groove is slightly longer than the rest"

Yet figure 8 doesn't substantiate that. Is that the picture of their mould or yours?
    Semtav,

As clearly stated in the article "Figure 8 is the specification I sent BACO for the JIM410410M3". Figure 9 is a photo of the actual bullet next to a cartridge loaded with the actual bullet. Note the 1st lube groove is longer - easier to see in the loaded cartridge.

Wayne

Sorry Wayne!! Guess I'm just too dense to get it. I can clearly see the actual picture of the JM410410M3 (figure 9) has a wider top lube groove. However your drawing of JM410410M3 (figure 8)shows all the lube grooves to be .050.

OK I get it, you sent them that specification (JM410410M3), but your (JM410410M3) bullet isn't that specification.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    OK I get it, you sent them that specification (JM410410M3), but your (JM410410M3) bullet isn't that specification.
    Brian,

I believe you got it. To state it another way for others that I may have confused, I sent BACO the illustration in figure 8. But the actual bullet BACO designed and listed on their website as JIM410410M3 has the slightly wider 1st lube groove as displayed in figure 9.

BTW, due to the confusion I just edited the article. Hopefully it's now a little clearer. Thanks.

Wayne
    Last edited by texasmac; 12-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Wayne
    Thanks for the great article.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Wayne
    Thanks for the great article.
    Ed, you are very welcome.