WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot the Gaundlet

Shoot the Gaundlet

It is a .177 Did not chrony a full tank of air . Wanted to sight it in and enjoy so spinner shooting . The numbers are way off to what the rifle PA received . But they are were I was going to take it with a little regulator changing . So I am happy with it as it is set . 9 grain 860 fps , 9.75 grain 839 fps , and 10.5 grain 800 fps. They state the rifle is regulated at 1150 psi . With a shoot count of 70 . PA chrony 10.43 at 905 fps . At shoot 80 mine fell of the regulator and the tank gauge was right at 900 psi . not 1150 . But I planed on setting a regulator at 900 psi . Not the most scientific way of doing things which leaves a lot of room for assumption . But it is the out come I was after . Did not punch paper for accuracy today . But by looking at the small grouping on my spinner things are good . This is my first magazine rifle so I am not a expert . But on several occasions the last 2 pellets would not rotate to be loaded if I did not press the mag back down a little . Will have to shoot it some more and see if that gets better or worse .Marvin

New air guns are always fun because with a little tinkering
    they can always shoot better , I know several people that have
    purchased that rifle and I believe one of them takes delivery of it
    today I'll try to post back with what he says about the gun .

I do not know what happened today for sure . Loaded the mag with some WC . Shoot may be 2 . Then the mag quite rotating to load . It was hard to get out . Once out the probe would not close with the mag or single tray . After a little playing around with it I got it to close . Loaded a few pellets with the single tray and the power was up and down . Like the sear was dragging . Pulled the trigger assembly and the hammer . Some how 3 pieces of skirt came falling out of the tube on too the bench . Some how they made it past the probe . This trigger assemble is no different than a QB in as far as the adjusting screws sloppy fit . Which cause the screws to back out . I have been and did use thread tape on these . Some one else might have another cure . But this has worked for me in the past . Plan on shooting it tomorrow if the weather holds out . Will use the single tray for a while .Marvin

Day 3 . Ordered a new mag . Used the single tray today . Shoot 3 tanks of air worth of pellets with no problems . Yesterday I set the trigger pull at 2 pounds and adjusted the sear which set the duration of pull to were I like it . Marvin

I have shoot the rifle for 11 out of 12 days . Have not had good results with the mag's and several brands and nose type's of pellets . So I have been using the tray . When I bought the rifle I figured I would more than likely use the tray any way . I have not chrony it again { it is a 1/4 mile walk up hill to shoot and I am hauling a lot already ] and the rifle is doing good as is . It seems to now be falling off the regulator according to the rifle gauge around 1200 psi . I bought it to shoot spinners from 25 -50 yards and it is doing that for me . Is it IMO a good 300 dollar regulated pcp yes . And I would buy it again . Will it do what a 1500 -3000 dollar regulated pcp will . More than likely not . Even a CS regulated marauder is over 600 dollars . Is it better in some ways ? More than likely . But not worth the added cost for what I am doing . Marvin
    Last edited by melloairman; 12-04-2017 at 05:10 PM.

As long as you like it and it does what you want it too; that's all that really matters.
    As far as the mags on the pcp guns, i would want a single shot tray for sure for general shooting.
    I guess the mags are nice for hunting....as long as they're reliable. They just seem like something extra to break down or give other problems to me, or that would be my luck anyway lol.

Sounds to me like you got a lot of gun for the money spent!

You are right about all matters once again . Marvin

Wish i had that 2 pound trigger you have there on my 392. I'm slowly getting more interested in the pcp guns, It's gotta be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Wish i had that 2 pound trigger you have there on my 392. I'm slowly getting more interested in the pcp guns, It's gotta be a lot of fun.
    The Beeman chief and the xisico sentry have this basic trigger . They all can be adjusted even lower that 2 pounds . The sentry has a auto safety . But I have been told that it can be easily disabled . It is moderated as well . Flying dragon has best price on them I have seen . Marvin

After several tins of pellets through the rifle . I tried the 3 mags I have again today . And all 3 cycled the pellets as they should . So things are improving as the rifle breaks in . Marvin

The rifle has around 2000 pellets through it now .So I did a chrony test on it . I used 9, 9.8 , and 10.5 grain pellets . Note that the 9 grain were slower that the 9.8 . The skirts are smaller in diameter and accuracy is pour as well . The 9.8 grain are the ones I use . The rifle has had nothing done to it .It is breaking in well . Marvin

Wow, looks like it would be very very consistent for a full 70 shots with the 9.8 and the 10.5 gr. pellets.

Not bad at all for out of the box and a couple thousand shots?
    This has me wondering what it would do vel. wise in .22 with 16 gr. pellets.

Thanks for taking the time to post some nos. on this one.

Think i found the info i wanted for a .22 cal. in a review i just read.
    It didn't give specific vel. for each pellet tested, but did say....

11.9 gr. to 21.14 gr. gave from 910 fps. to 671 fps. from the light pellets to the 21.14 gr. keeping fpe. in the 21.89 to 20.93 fpe. range.

All this with a 60 to 70 shot count range is going to be hard to beat for a $300.00 pcp rifle.
    I'll be giving this one some serious consideration as both a high count target shooter and a all day hunting rifle.

Also saw reports of groups in the .6 range at 50 yds.

Sportsman Guide still has the 22 at $269 and free shipping .Marvin

Hear is some info for you with chrony numbers . Marvin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-E0Wr98Yk

Lol, still recovering from Christmas here. That's a good deal for sure, but will probably be sometime this spring or summer for me.

This one has definitely jumped to the top of my pcp wish list though. Almost all of the reviews i've seen on it are pretty much 100% positive.
    I'd like to see what it could do in a .25 cal. I noticed some of the reviews i saw today were hinting at the same thing.The .22 and .177 has plenty of hunting power though and much cheaper shooting.

How well balanced is the gauntlet when held offhand? Looks like the fore end has quite a bit of swell to it...is it comfortable to hold offhand?

I always place my hand right in front of the trigger guard with all rifles . That puts my triceps and elbow resting on my side for stability . The rifle is well balanced with my type of hold . Some have complained that the front swivel is in the way . But with my type of hold my hand is behind the swivel . Marvin

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I had planned on buying one of the .22 caliber Gauntlets back when I first started hearing about it but they kept moving the delivery dates back over and over again so eventually I cancelled my order thinking it wouldn't be till Christmas of last year that we'd be seeing them in any of the retail outlets. The money I'd saved up quickly disappeared into the vortex that whisks away most of my expendable income and the purchase of a PCP air rifle got put on the back burner.

Then I started hearing about a Bull-Pup called the Kral Punch Breaker that got me interested in buying a PCP again. Unfortunately for me, that particular airgun was just out of my financial reach; even though it's considered by many to be a budget PCP. That got me looking at the Gauntlet once again. I viewed lots of video reviews about the Gauntlet, making sure to skip those reviews that were done by the so called air gunning experts. I wanted to see and hear what the average joes had to say about it. That's what really won me over.

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on the purchase of my own .22 caliber Umarex Gauntlet so now I have a toy to play with as I near the date for what I hope will be my retirement from the work force. Even back when I first started hearing about it and seeing pictures of it I could tell that this "budget" PCP was a tinkerers' dream gun. I had heard, and continue to hear alot of good things about it but I've also heard of a few short comings about this entry-level PCP. I've seen the YouTube mods that others have done and they look fairly uncomplicated. I'm pretty sure I could do alot of those mods myself without having to buy them from some other tinkerer or pay someone else to do them for me.

I had to divert some of the money I was going to use to buy myself a 3D printer. Lets hope my purchase of this Umarex Gauntlet doesn't include any buyers remorse. From what I've heard about this air gun, I'm thinking it will be a fun gun.

HollowPoint

You should be happy with it since you have researched it as you have . They are a little on the heavy side but well balanced . What I have found on it as well as my Sentry is when you use the mags you have to pull the bolt back farther than sear engagement to get the probe to clear the mag so it will rotate freely . And since the mags are narrow so is the loading port which makes single tray loading a little more difficult than a non mag gun . Not really big issues but things that need to be confronted . Keep us posted .Marvin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast