MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 300 BO adequate for deer?

300 BO adequate for deer?

I am thinking of using this cartridge for deer. Any first hand experience?
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy
    My 135gr 1940fps bullet seems to have no problems at 100 yards.
    It was my grandsons first deer.
    Benny

125gr sst over H110 is very effective against Arkansas whitetail. Haven’t lost a deer yet.

Boolit Master
    I have killed scores in the summer with a predetation permit. My nephew killed his first with one 2 days ago. I have turned many onto the 300 BO insode 250 yards its a hammer with the right bullet. I can think of at least 8 of my friends that use it. Great truck guns. I prefer the barnes tactical tsx specifically designed for them. I have used many flavor of 110 as well as my home swaged 155rbt. Shot half a dozen subsonic woth my expanding 220 gr. What’s not to like?
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master

Not with the Blackout, but have done considerable science with a very similar .310/.32-20 hybrid Matini Cadet shooting a 130 grain, flat nosed bullet.

At about 1200-1250 fps with softer 20-1 alloy, it took four gallon jugs of water to stop, which is one more than usually required by common-caliber police duty loads. The same bullet cast of water-quenched wheel weight (no expansion) on top of the same powder charge took nine jugs to stop.

Ultimately, that rifle ended up shooting the harder bullet close to 1600 fps, and your Blackout will go a good bit faster than that. As always, it's about bullet selection and placement, but I see nothing in this equation that would render the .300 BO inadequate to the task of killing deer at closer ranges.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy

I had no problem taking one with 150gr SP factory load a few years back. I plan on my son taking his first deer with one.

Super Moderator

I have taken several mule deer bucks with the 300AAC. I have used the Barnes TAC-TX 110gr, Speer 125 TNT, and Nosler 125 Ballistic Tip. Sorry, no cast boolit deer in this one yet for me. The shots were all from 75-125 yards, all lung shots, and only one required a second shot. It is a very suitable cartridge for deer, with proper loads and range limitations. It's a GREAT caliber for youth shooters/hunters for sure.

Boolit Master

Now do not take this the wrong way, any boolit doing 1000 FPS will do the job, be it 30 caliber, 27, 35, 40, 45, or 50 caliber. I do not hunt, no land and I do not ask for a place. I do have a 300 BO, it shoots well to 100 yards(longest I have tried).
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    hicard,

I've killed deer with 110, 125, and 130 grain jacketed, and 145 and 165 grain cast. As has been said, suitable bullet for velocity and put it in the vitals,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Thanks for the replies guys.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Buddy
    If that does not work then i need to sell the AR 9 that I have used on deer for sometime now. As long as you understand its capabilities you will be fine. Enjoy your outdoor time.