Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: As a reminder, pay attention

As a reminder, pay attention

Always pay attention to the inside and outside of any case you are reloading. Breaking down some 12 ga reloads from a purchase awhile back. Not mine obviously and I've had them for some time. Dumped the shot out to save and pulling the wads out to dump the powder. This big clump of bird or rabbit parts was loaded in the shell, loaded along with the powder charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Master

Thank for the reminder; years ago I got lots of ammo knives and reloading equipment from an old friend of a friends deceased uncle; not only were almost none of the reloaded rifle rounds crooked, most of the pistol rounds had split brass and when I pulled everything charge weights where all over the place, one 20 round box of 300 wby was marked however many grains of H4350, none were even close, most were over by an alarming amount.

I didn't weigh any of the charges as most was stuck together in a clump. I know the shot weights were all over as half didn't even come close to having enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Master

That's the reason I never bought any reloads from anyone, including small reloading companies. I don't trust any reload that I did not load. Too many things can go wrong just as skunk1 is warning. I no longer have a progressive press because I always inspect and hand weigh each and every round I load these days. At one time I owned several Dillons and they did a great job but I did find several rounds that was just a might light on the powder charge--not enough to matter and certainly not dangerous. The good part is that I never found a round that was over charged. Since I no longer shoot competition at all, I have gone back to single stage presses and hand weighing. Besides, I enjoy reloading as much as shooting, so I load what some would call the long and hard way. It is a relaxing way spend an afternoon, especially in the long winter months. my thinking anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master

Thats the reason that I don't shoot others reloads. The exception to this is a few trusted friends and my Son, whom I've reloaded with enough to know their habits.

Boolit Master

^ both of these above are my reasons for store bought or my reloads only (and at the price of store bought I'm pretty much shooting my reloads 100% of the time)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Like TNsailorman, I enjoy the time spent reloading as much as the time spent shooting. In retirement, I have plenty of time to use a single stage or turret press. I owned a Dillon 550 B for several years but sold it to a fellow Booliteer. I just had too much money tied up in it for no more use than it got. I'm OCD with my loads and progressives make me nervous. I find that my Redding T-7 for rifle and my Lee four hole turret fit my reloading needs very well. Gp

Boolit Master
    Someone must have been loading in a shed or a barn and not paying too much attention or did not give a hoot about the loads..

I am pretty particular about my reloads & use single stage only so I can keep track of things. Basically one load at a time with a lot of inspection.( Especially when working on reduced loads ladder stepping one tenth(1/10th-0.01) grain at a time) I have been considering a turret to maybe speed up loads once I have the load development done, but I would still be monitoring the loads carefully & in particular when I am working on the reduced loads I make for the missus.

Glad to see/read that ya caught those before firing them.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Someone must have been loading in a shed or a barn and not paying too much attention or did not give a hoot about the loads..

I am pretty particular about my reloads & use single stage only so I can keep track of things. Basically one load at a time with a lot of inspection.( Especially when working on reduced loads ladder stepping one tenth(1/10th-0.01) grain at a time) I have been considering a turret to maybe speed up loads once I have the load development done, but I would still be monitoring the loads carefully & in particular when I am working on the reduced loads I make for the missus.

Glad to see/read that ya caught those before firing them.

Had no plans of ever firing them. Never have and never will. I always pull down reloads and salvage what I can. Just wanted to give everyone a friendly reminder to also look inside the case you are reloading.

That's caused from bird hunting and using a game vest. The dead birds and expended hulls are put in the game pouch of the vest together while hunting. If the reloader didn't check the hulls before reloading them, which he apparently didn't, then that's what you get.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    That's caused from bird hunting and using a game vest. The dead birds and expended hulls are put in the game pouch of the vest together while hunting. If the reloader didn't check the hulls before reloading them, which he apparently didn't, then that's what you get.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    LOL

Never thought of that & I have been upland bird/waterfowling since the 70's.

We always put them in either in a small cloth bag tied to our belt or sometimes our waders strap, or we threw them in the duck boat, decoy bag or something like that. Don't ever recall anyone putting them in the back pouch of their vest. Might have happened, but I never did it.. Just birds & occasionally trash we'd pick up since some ******* littered.

Anyway, Thanks for mentioning the vest pouch being likely. Good call! and I 'd bet you are right!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

The vest pouch was used more for quail, dove and chuckar hunting than waterfowl hunting, due to the size of the birds, and the fact that you're covering a lot of ground while hunting them. When I was younger, I did a lot of quail and chuckar hunting, and the vest was a vital part of the hunt. For dove hunting, we just used a game stool, with a pouch under the seat for the birds, but sometime the hulls got thrown in there, too.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I like this thread and it is good to remind one another once in a while to be careful with their reloading. It sure doesn't hurt to see these reminders and who knows, it just might save someone's eyesight or a ruined gun. Kudos to Skunk1 for posting this reminder. james

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It just makes ya wonder how Remington , Winchester and the other companies can load ammo without debris in their ammo .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Man
    In Pennsylvania and I would imagine elsewhere. Stink bugs commonly get into the drop tubes of powder and shot and can cause partial loads or overcharges when the bug drops out with previously held back powder or shot. I now use earplugs or some other flagged stopper to prevent ingress of critters. Ya just never know how a bug can bite you.

Boolit Master

That's just a new form of filler that is being looked at

Aw give the guy a break woodya?

I'll bet a nickel to a hole in a donut that 'MURPHY' did it!

Ole Murphy will visit your shop when you least expect it...only the OCD survive Murphy...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Look like field loads to me.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    That's not just game debris left by accident, it's a warning for the next game being shot at . Like their lives flashing before their eyes. Lmao.
    I used to reload 12 ga. Shells for pigeon control on several Pa. Farms when I was a young lad. You would be amazed at what showed up in our empty hulls. Taught me 1 good lesson. Always, always inspect the hull, case, or even weapon you intend to load.
    Also a +1 for not shooting unknown , or others reloads. And Murphy is always standing around the corner just snickering the second your not on your "A" game. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

All good reasons not to shoot any handloads that are not your own handiwork....
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"