Graf & SonsRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel Media
ADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Lyman Mag 25 Just Died...

Boolit Master

I have an old Lyman furnace that is over 40 years old and last year purchased a Master Caster. Someone had a sale on the Lee 20 lb bottom pour and I bought one. JIC. I have never used the Lee but it is there in case I need it. But I cannot cast for long anymore so that is why I got the Master Caster. I have been thinking about using the Lee as a pre-melter for the MC. Cleatus, you might want to think about that as well. A pre-melter will give more consistency to temperature and pressure out of the spout.

BTW, I applaud your investment in the Lyman. It is unfortunate that it died so quickly but once it is working, you will enjoy using a quality unit for many years.
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Glad they are replacing your furnace with a new one .. Now lets see if this one holds up ..
    sitting on the fence waiting to see if the new RCBS furnaces with PID will hold up (if they ever start shipping)
    Love my old RCBS Pro Melt .. just have to compare reliability between the new Lyman and new RCBS
    they should have just sent him a new controller board... that and a heating element is about it. heating element is easy to test..

That said, I've been using my lee drip-o-matic for a while now, and aside from a drip or too.. it makes great boolits.

Boolit Man
    I cant wait anymore for the new RCBS, so I found a quantity of bnib old style pro pours and bought one, 300 bucks might go back and buy a 2nd one just for giggles.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS furnace is probably being made in China.I would expect the same quality.I've run a lot of bullet alloy thru my Mag25 with no problems.Like any product from China it could die at any time.The only product I got from Lyman recently that didn't work was a digital thermometer.Lyman shipped me a new one as soon as I called them.I ordered a replacement thermocouple from Amazon (Chinese of course) and the bad thermometer now works as well.

Boolit Man
    I agree with you on the made in china thing,mostly just trash products but the old pro pours are made USA so the quality is there still I was lucky to find these new old stocks they had 6 of em I like the lyman to but no dealers localy. But might find one when I'm out and about love to try one

One thing that I`v found out over the years.Electrical or electronic products will fail in the first 10 or so hours of use,OR they will chug along for decades trouble free.Case in point.A friend has one of the old refridgerators that has the compressor on the top,It was bought new by his Grand Parents.Has it in his garage to keep sodas and water and tea cold.It`s a late 20`s build.Glad Lyman took care of the problem.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Also, a point on Chinese stuff. Some GOOD things are made in China nowadays; And lots of cheap stuff. It depends on the manufacturer insisting on good results to get them. iPhones for example, are made in China and are pretty well made. Costs a bit more to make better stuff.

In past there have been some oddities in electronics, like the electrolytic capacitor's electrolyte formula that was stolen through industrial espionage; Only, the Mfg. somehow knew this was coming, or was just cagey as heck, and set up a trap? So the stolen formula was one that would work for a time, then fail. Remember the plague of Electrolytics on motherboards that would swell up? That formula let the water in the electrolyte dry up after a while and it bit the heck out of the thieves' co.'s reputation... Deservedly so. hurt a lot of other folks too, tho.

I hope to never meet one of those bad capacitors again, had to replace caps on some motherboards, it's a pain...

Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    I agree with you on the made in china thing,mostly just trash products but the old pro pours are made USA so the quality is there still I was lucky to find these new old stocks they had 6 of em I like the lyman to but no dealers localy. But might find one when I'm out and about love to try one
    You made the best choice. The old RCBS Pro's are the best of the bottom pours, bar none--IMHO. Mine just keeps on melting boolits. To find one bnib is a great score.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it

Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    After reading this, I am glad I have my RCBS ProMelt bought in the 70's. It has never failed or given me any problems. It was not cheap but became a lifetime investment. The manual controller of the ProMelt gives me confidence for reliability, especially after seeing inside the Lyman controller posted by the OP.
    This type of story is soooo true anymore. The old saying "They don't make them like they used to" holds true here. Cheap, Quick and Quality. You only get to pick two. I like using the comparison of appliances. Large ones. Washers, Ranges and refrigerators. People that have older ones with click dials and no LCD displays and membrane switches rarely have a problem with them. Not so with all of the space shuttle type models out there now. Its a lead pot. Keep it simple. Pot, casting thermometer and a ladle. You will have far fewer headaches in the long run.

Jeff
    A woman has the last word in any argument.
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Boolit Master

Very much agreed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123