WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Where did everyone go?

Boolit Master

Where did everyone go?

Looking at the page as it is at this moment. I see 15 our of 25 threads (not including stickies) started by BTSniper slinging his dies. I also see 15 out of 25 latest responses by BTSniper. I must admit I do not frequent this sight as I used to is this the same for most?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master
    Not to be argumentative, but while Brian is active in most of the swaging threads I wouldn’t characterize his activity as narrowly as just slinging his dies.

BTSniper was having a problem with photobucket, so he reclaimed all his photos he had posted there that no longer showed up here. He is reposting them in the threads where he originally had them, which brings them back up to the top, just like any other post does.

The regular discussions have been ongoing, but with the holiday, it may have slowed due to other activities taking priority...

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Vendor Sponsor

Everyone is still here, I just took an evening to repost as many photos as I could in the threads they pertained to where the original pics had been deleted by photobucket. I realize it gives the appearance of monopolizing the forum, that is not and never has been my intention, but dang photobucket screwed me on over 1,000 pics that where primarily swaging bullet pics and tutorials. Threads like these are always better with pics.

You been shooting any home swaged bullets lately there Joe?

This is actually the time of year I make the most bullets while the weather sucks outside. Just today I casted 40 lbs of cores for 22 cal to get ready for spring ground squirrel shooting. Modified my mold to cast them at 60 grains to make a 70 grain lead tip bullet. I found out at this weight with lead tip you do not need to anneal the brass, saving a lot of time. I'll post more on it later.

I think we will get plenty more forum activity during the winter months and more threads to dilute all mine, Don't worry, not a lot of swage activity when the reloading shelves are overflowing in all the stores but I know everyone still checks the site to see if anything is going on.

Good shooting and swage on.

Brian
    Last edited by BT Sniper; 11-23-2017 at 03:03 AM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

You know what really is amazing......?

Our swage forum has 10 pages worth of threads posted this year, that is at least 250 threads that have had discussions (not all mine either)

I know of a few bullet making forums that haven't had enough activity in a year to fill the first page. I got to say I think we are doing pretty good keeping the hobby/sport alive in our little forum here.

Swage on and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Shooter View Post
    Looking at the page as it is at this moment. I see 15 our of 25 threads (not including stickies) started by BTSniper slinging his dies. I also see 15 out of 25 latest responses by BTSniper. I must admit I do not frequent this sight as I used to is this the same for most?
    Notice the start date of the threads, I was just updating pics, wasn't like I was the only one to post or reply to a thread here lately. Simply scroll down or to the next page, plenty of current and new swage activity to enjoy.

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm still working on setting up the basics again after a lot of stuff was stolen, but I will be asking questions on swaging in a while once I get some other things handled. 22 Cal, 70 grain swaged bullets, hmmmmmm

Boolit Bub
    Think Brian's right about pics to help explain things. I know I've learned oodles perusing these threads. Now I have just enough knowledge to really get in trouble
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    ... 22 Cal, 70 grain swaged bullets, hmmmmmm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A224-8.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	208288
    Viam supervadet vadens.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I'm still working on setting up the basics again after a lot of stuff was stolen, but I will be asking questions on swaging in a while once I get some other things handled. 22 Cal, 70 grain swaged bullets, hmmmmmm
    Mr_Sheesh:

I use 22LR for jackets on 70, 75, and 80 grain .224's. These all result in an exposed lead nose of various sizes. I have a lead nose forming die; but do not always use it - instead sometimes just using the bullet as swaged in the nose nose forming die.

I also use 17HMR for 70, 75, 80, and 90 grain fully jacketed bullets. (22Mag brass also works for this). With the 17HMR one must either trim at the neck junction with a saw, or expand the mouth as part of the rim de-rimming operation. I may create a video of this process this winter and post it as I have found personal favor in this process over the cutting off of the neck. To set overall jacket length I use a Jacket Trim die similar to carbons die (as depicted below):

Attachment 208306
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

BT is the only one I see still offering swage dies here. Please correct me if I am wrong..........

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master

GEW - Thanks for the link. I went that route also for a while. The two step process (1) expand neck (2) go through usual de-rim die process. I was able to go to a single step process on my Corbin "S" Press when I bough another "Push Rod" in the de-rimming assembly; and polished it down to where it had a radiused tip that would expand the HMR brass and also push the case through the de-rimming die. Because of the short throw on the power portion of the press; I have to expand the mouth, and move down the brass case by turning the die in 1/2 turn activate lever cycle, turn another 1/2 turn etc.. until case is sized. Multiple cycles result in longer time to make each jacket blank from 17HMR brass; but it works and provides good quality longer jackets.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 11-23-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

That's a tad rude considering the vs help keep this place open

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    That's a tad rude considering the vs help keep this place open
    Yup i never said it was a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    but dang photobucket screwed me on over 1,000 pics that where primarily swaging bullet pics and tutorials. Threads like these are always better with pics.

You been shooting any home swaged bullets lately there Joe?

but I know everyone still checks the site to see if anything is going on.

Good shooting and swage on.

Brian
    Yeah I noticed that. Seems like most photos here are disappearing. Nice to see some photos being updated.

No affraid not. I was looking at reloading some I made last winter so I thought I would check in here. Between the 22's and trying some long range in 6.5 i don't have too much time for other things. Nice report on the hunt too by the way.

Good to see some people are still just a bit to uptight though.

​Mentor

It was the term "slinging his dies" that came off as being a little sarcastic, whether you meant it that way or not. The internet is a very one dimensional venue.....

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I monitor the page and jump in when I have something to add. Unfortunately for me, a job change from bullet making to Copper Mining and a move out to Milford, Utah has my swaging activities on hold for awhile. So I get to live vicariously by all the pictures and posts ya'll share.