RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: storage full on phone, how to manage apps?

Boolit Master

storage full on phone, how to manage apps?

I have an LG Vista phone with 8gb total storage, and only .35gb free.
    I have a micro sd card that has 49gb free. When I go to app manager, only a few apps let me move them to the card. The rest stay out on the phone's internal storage. Most of the apps are the ones that were pre installed. I never use most of them and can't delete them or move them to the card. The only apps I can delete are the ones I downloaded and actually use. Does anybody have a solution to this? I know the phone is old, but it still works and I would rather not but a new one.
    I frequently clear the cache, so that's not the problem. The apps use up 10+ th by themselves.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

If you can plug into your computer you might look in the DCIM folder for pictures and copy them off then delete from phone. Check downloads too. I think some apps will pull down updates etc. then not clean up the installer or updates.

I think you might be able to configure photos, or videos and music to be stored on your external card.

A lot of this is phone specific so you might need to Google for your phone model and your question. I bet you can see why people hack their phones so they can side load applications to the micro SD card storage.

Stop at your phone service providers store, there may be some tips they can give you. Just be prepared for them to "encourage" you to upgrade, just decline and pursue your own goal. And I mean an actual company store not some mall phone reseller kiosk.

Video, music, and photos use a lot of space in that order. but you hit the nail on the head it is the apps added by the service provider that really use up the space
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    I have an LG Vista phone with 8gb total storage, and only .35gb free.
    I have a micro sd card that has 49gb free. When I go to app manager, only a few apps let me move them to the card. The rest stay out on the phone's internal storage. Most of the apps are the ones that were pre installed. I never use most of them and can't delete them or move them to the card. The only apps I can delete are the ones I downloaded and actually use. Does anybody have a solution to this? I know the phone is old, but it still works and I would rather not but a new one.
    I frequently clear the cache, so that's not the problem. The apps use up 10+ th by themselves.
    Besides maxing out the sd card usage by moving whatever apps, data, pics etc to it, rooting your device and removing unwanted apps is all you can do. This is a tutorial, be aware it is for advanced users and can lead to bricking your phone if not done right. http://www.android.gs/root-lg-g-vista/

It's really not that hard but things do happen, be sure if you attempt it you have a full charge to minimize issues and if your provider has a way to make a backup of any important data or you can copy the data elsewhere you do that just in case.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

This is more of a warning for next time -

Do not purchase the phone from the service provider. They put all that bloatware on it.

Buy the phone directly from the manufacturer, the phone comes with an operating system, and nothing else. Then, take the phone to the service provider, and tell them to hook it up.

This is easier with GSM services (like AT&T), because it's a standard (GSM = Global Standards for Mobile), than it is with CDMA service (like Sprint), which is why I'm not on Sprint anymore.

The advantage is, that you can pick any phone you want - you are not restricted to the selection at the provider.

I purchased two Motorola phones; a Moto E for her, a Moto G4 for me, directly from Motorola. Cheaper than from the phone store, and no carp programmed in. They came with Android 6, and nothing else. They work fine. Motorola updates them.

Something to think of, prior to the next phone.

Banned

my flip phone has zero apps.
    it makes marvelous phone calls however, when I remember to charge it, or where it is.

Bookworm gives good advice, but most phones right now are more expensive thru manufacturer. Lenovo who makes the Motorola phones now has zero discount and btw, stay away from the Moto newer versions. motor and pure both have poor life battery. Less than 2yrs on each and phones are failing. But newer Android versions, 6 and after allow apps to be easily moved to card

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    my flip phone has zero apps.
    it makes marvelous phone calls however, when I remember to charge it, or where it is.
    It prolly slipped out of your overalls and into the recliner again...there's prolly a handful of change in there too. Your lost screwdriver and a couple of pocketknives also!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned

screwdriver & pocket knife I'd believe.
    maybe even a dog bone the stupid chihuahuahuahua hid under a cushion.
    but there is no way there is any change in there...

Boolit Master

Nice to know i am not the only one with a rude chiuahua that hides food throught the house. Found his nest under the guest bed....... still cant figure out how he gets into the trash.

If i am not mistaken. Years ago. One of the android updates prevents the system from putting apps on the SD card and blocked most apps from accessing. My new phone doesnt havr expandible memory so i dont know what became of that. Its also a good idea to move pictures and home movies to the computer.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the help. It's frustrating to have the room on the card and not be able to use it.
    It looks like I'll attempt to root it. Knowing where to buy a new phone with out all the garbage in it is really good info, as I'm not that knowledgeable and may very well need a new one after I attempt to root it.
    As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, fix it til it is."
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master

Old guy here. What's an app?? I use my computer with programs I own on it. I now have one of the new smart phone. it sucks. I make calls on it. Text who can see the tiny key board? I have a hard enough time with a full keyboard let alone a tiny one my fingers do not even feel.

The smart screen does not turn on unless I lick my finger and slam it on a hard surface.

Spell check? *** it spells stuff I never heard of. IT was simpler before the new gen who will die getting robbed than look up from their phone.

Vendor Sponsor

Tommag, gf got her a Kyocera from at&t for 50 bux and it kicks butt for what it cost. The network protocol evolves so fast that older hardware chokes on trying to keep up with it even when it isn't full of pics, vids, and other files. You might be pleasantly surprised with the performance of a new phone.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I'm like R5R, my flip phone works fine. It doesn't even have a camera on it. I have a camera for that.