MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Canik

Canik

My wife got my x-mas early. She got me a Canik it is a TP9 SFX. This is there comp pistol has anyone had a dealing with Canik pistolsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	6653335_04_canik_tp9sfx_640 pistol.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	208273

Boolit Man
    I own the SFX and a T100. The T100 has been totally reliable. The SFX has issues locking the slide back on last round. Both are accurate with surprisingly great SA triggers. The DA trigger pull is reasonably heavy on the T100 but I carry it cocked & locked. I enjoy both.

I am a 1911 man. Put this gun has the best trigger other than a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by bgw45 View Post
    I own the SFX and a T100. The T100 has been totally reliable. The SFX has issues locking the slide back on last round. Both are accurate with surprisingly great SA triggers. The DA trigger pull is reasonably heavy on the T100 but I carry it cocked & locked. I enjoy both.
    If your magazine follower is plastic, it may be worn so that it can't push up on the slide lock.
    Had it happen to me with another pistol.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have an SFX, a tan SF, and a C100, I love them! They have been very good guns, exceptional for the price. The SFX I got the mostly recently to shoot as my current USPSA Production Division gun since it is class legal now. Right out of the box its a great gun with an excellent trigger box stock and the tippy top of the striker fired guns. I did make some modifications that are still class legal. The Warren sights aren't half bad but I went to a set of Dawson Precision's. An M&P fiber optic front blade fits Canik TP-Series guns and Dawson's adjustable, black serrated for a Glock fits the back. I used their excellent green fiber in the front. WAY better sight picture! I put on a rough texture grip tape laser cut for the TP-Series on it and the final thing was a tuned trigger. The stock trigger is great, its got a bit of travel to take up but the break is very short, very crisp, decently light at about 5lbs. It has a very good reset too, very short with a strong, deliberate push back out. I got an aftermarket uncaptured guide rod for it. I worked over the internals and replaced some springs and dropped the break down to 3.25lbs. The only trouble I've had with the gun is a few failures to fully eject. I think that attributes to Canik using too heavy of recoil spring. If im not mistaken they use the same spring that they put in the .40cal guns. My standard model SF, essentially the same gun but with a short slide, ran for 3000+rds without cleaning or doing anything except adding a touch of oil a couple of times as the thing was so horribly fouled it would start to get a little sluggish. I wanted to test the gun and it amazed me how long it ran. That one is bone stock, nothing done to it. The SFX has a pretty Stout recoil spring for a long slide 9mm. To heavy in my opinion so hence the aftermarket guide rod so I can play with springs ad tune it to my USPSA 9mm minor load, the exact same load I ran in my SF. So short of the recoil spring, thats been my only issue. I don't baby it, its a competition gun for me. I have about 4000rds through my older SF and right about a 1000rds through the SFX so far. Its a well made gun that simply performs for not a lot of money. Very clever construction, a close clone of the Walther P99. All smiles over here!

I love my C100 too but it bares no resemblance to the TP-Series other than brand & origin. It is a nice clone of a CZ-75 Compact though!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I have the TP9SF and a T100, both are fine pistols. As stated above, the SF has the best trigger of any striker fired pistol I have ever shot. Great pistols, fully the equal of most of the striker fired pistols on the market today. Enjoy!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I have one small problem is with the holster. It is for a right handed person and I am left handed. What or who makes a holster of this gun.

Groo here
    As the euro's ammo is hotter than US I tried Nato winchester 124 gr 1200fps loads.
    With that my SFX shoots well.
    Then I tried some Federal 9bple [ the infamious +P+ police load!]
    Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The gun eats them like candy and shoots them like match ammo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I believe the SFX is sprung and built for the HOT stuff [ 9mm major maybe?]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    As the euro's ammo is hotter than US I tried Nato winchester 124 gr 1200fps loads.
    With that my SFX shoots well.
    Then I tried some Federal 9bple [ the infamious +P+ police load!]
    Oh MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The gun eats them like candy and shoots them like match ammo.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I believe the SFX is sprung and built for the HOT stuff [ 9mm major maybe?]
    I would definitely say the Canik's are sprung to run the hotter CIP/NATO spec 124gr. ball and with that in mind the heavier recoil spring is probably not an issue. Here in the US our most prevalent 9mm ball is 115gr. and loaded on the milder side. For most people here, a recoil spring a couple pounds lighter would be more optimal. It will still handle the hotter stuff fine. Mine exclusively eats my 9mm minor handload as Production Division is scored as minor power factor only and as a 9mm, it would be scored as minor in Limited class also. With minor PF being 125, in 9mm that is right about middle of the road compared to factory offerings. The stock spring is a bit heavy for 125 PF loads. Sure, I could bring the load up more but then I start to sacrifice the firing cadence with a heavier recoil taking more time to get back on target. My minor load of a 125gr RN Blue Bullet on 4.7gr of Vectan Ba9 is a soft shooting load that just makes power factor in a 4.25" barrel with a smidge extra FPS for an insurance buffer. I'm tuning my SFX to run that load the best it can. It would need more spring to run my 9mm Major load! I wouldn't subject it to that kind of abuse, a 124gr plated TC at 1475fps!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Banned

their recoil spring is light enough to function 100% with 130gr cast on top of 3grs of bulls-eye or red-dot.

Boolit Master

My experience with Canick wasn't good. Even worse was Century Arms warranty service. Mine was hang firing. Pull the trigger, hear a click and the moment I touched the slide boom.

Contacted Century several times over a two week period. I always promised a call back and never got it. The distributor that I bought it from gave me a back door number. Got a lady claiming to be a manger, explained the run around I was getting, she asked for serial number then claimed it
    wasn't theirs. After telling her it has CAI stamped on it. She said it's not ours and hung up. Several calls to the back door number went to voice mail.

I contacted the distributor again, Center Fire Systems. I was given their invoice number from Century indicating it was not ndeed from Century but like all previous attempts "we'll call you back". Centerfire Systems finally agreed to exchange it. I had to eat FFL fees and postage both ways. The replacement ran just fine.

A search on YouTube indicated there were some others with the same problem with the gun and Century. The problem was from machining debris in the decocking mechanism.

I took the pistol out today to run some reloads and new ammo through it. My reloads were 124gr cast and powder coated sized to .357 with 4.0 grs of Tightgroup. They cycled and no problems. They shot to point of aim at 20yds. The new ammo was Fed 115gr. They also shot with no problems. I will say the gun shot very well. And the trigger pull was unreal. I tried some 124 FMJ with 3.7grs of Tightgroup these had FTF and stove pipes. Over all I like the gun.

I have a SF and have found it to be absolutely phenomenal. Great trigger, great feel, and about 1/2 the price of other comparables. However, I picked up a M&P 2.0 about a year after that, and it definitely beats the Canik's trigger. I wouldn't hesitate on the Canik.