Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Developing Load w/ Lyman 452460 & Ramshot Silhouette, Advice Appreciated

Boolit Mold

Developing Load w/ Lyman 452460 & Ramshot Silhouette, Advice Appreciated

Hello everybody! This site is great. I've learned a ton already, and there is much more learning to be had!

I've been casting and loading for a few years. I recently purchased a Springfield Mil Spec 1911.

I've been searching the web for information as I develop a load for this 1911.

I have about 8 lbs. of Ramshot Silhouette. Apparently it is close to the same stuff as WAP. I have read conflicting accounts regarding its use for 45 ACP. From what I understand, it is a good powder for pushing higher velocities.

I ordered a Lyman mold, the 4542460. The Lyman handbook suggests an OAL of 1.161". This thread suggests an OAL of 1.175" to 1.125":
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-46622.html

Here is the Ramshot Silhouette load data:

Bullet: 200gr Lasercast SWC, Lead
    Start load/velocity: 7.6gr @ 964 fps
    Max load/velocity: 8.4 gr @ 1,071 fps
    Max Pressure: 20,349
    OAL: 1.267"

I am trying to determine a safe OAL for this powder, as it may generate higher pressures. Can anybody suggest a safe place to start, regarding the OAL? Also, will the hardness of my alloy be more critical with these higher pressures and velocities? I have read that alloy for 45 ACP typically does not need to be very hard.

My intention is to develop a load for practice/plinking.

It would be nice to hear suggestions! I could always purchase a different powder, but it would sure be nice to use up the Silhouette that I have on hand.

Happy thanksgiving everybody!

I load that boolit but not that powder. I try to get the load moving about 850 fps. I use the Lyman OAL.
    I would suggest you begin by using the start charge or slightly less at an OAL that feeds in your pistol. If the Lyman OAL will feed, use that.
    If you have access to a chronograph, work up the load until you get to a velocity you want. Or simply stop when you find a nicely accurate load.
    That boolit shoots well in my pistols. As it happens, I don't have any loaded at the moment. I leave about .020-.040 of the front driving band exposed in front of the case mouth.
    I use either 4.0 of Bullseye or 4.2 of WST in my loads.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the advice tazman! That's good info. I appreciate that.

I'm considering purchasing some Bullseye. I'm not too enthusiastic about the higher velocities and pressures that I will likely encounter with Silhouette.

Thanks for providing those links grmps! I've read through them before, and I have been looking over that load data. I am just concerned about which OAL to use with the 452460 profile bullets, since I cannot find data with the 452460 and Silhouette powder. The OAL in the Ramshot data is much different than what is listed in the Lyman handbook for the 452460 bullets.

Boolit Master
    The 452460 is my favorite 1911 bullet. I use 4.5 grains of 700X. I've tried other powders, Bullseye, 231, other shotgun powders but always come back to 700X. Plus I've got a lot of it from the shotgun/claybird days in the 1970's. I do use Bullseye, 3.5 grains, under the little 452389 button nose wadcutter.

Boolit Master

There is no reason you can't use the Silhouette at lower velocities and pressures. Simply load it down to the velocity desired. Judging by the data posted above loads in the 5-6 gr range would give you target velocities with pressures in the 10-12kpsi range. The 452460 with Bullseye in the 3.6/4.2 range are classic bullseye target loads.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Mold
    Right on, thanks for the input fellas!