Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Want to load cast 6.5 Jap and a Question

Boolit Buddy

Want to load cast 6.5 Jap and a Question

I been load casting 7.7 Jap and 30-06 but now I'm getting the bug for cast loading for 6.5 jap.
    Does anyone know where I can get a reasonaly priced mould. I've been looking at the supplies catalogs for one and I haven't run accross any .264 molds but found .265 and .266 dia molds. Now I know that's not a big difference in dia from the .264 regular Jap dia. and can be sized easy to .264 if necessary but just wondering why these are the only dia moulds available?
    Might as well ask also, does anyone want to get rid of a .264 or a .265 or .266 mold they don't need anymore? Ray
    Last edited by rayg; 08-17-2008 at 08:58 AM.

In Remebrance

First thing is to slug your barrel. The Arisaka reportedly varies widely in dimensions and many barrels are said to run as large as .268 or.269. If you have a "fat one, you might do as I did with my 6.5 Arisaka, get a .270 mould and size down. It's far, far easier to take an over size boolits and reduce it's size and get good results than take an under size design and try and enlarge it. Another option is to paper patch a "skinny" design. Either way, you'll need to have an idea of your barrel dimensions before commuting any money to the project.

Boolit Buddy
    That makes sense Bret. Better to get a larger mold that can be sized down if necessary so I should look for probably a .266 dia mold. I have a number of Japanese 6.5 rifles so will just shoot the one that would work best with the mould I end up getting. Thanks, Ray

Boolit Master

I second Bret's e-mail and I shoot my 6.5 Jap with Lyman's 140 gr Loverin style bullet. It's the same weight and seats to the same length as the original round nosed J bullet and it feeds just fine through the magazine.

My rifle shoots these with no issues and the accuracy is pretty good considering how shallow that V rear site is on the rifle.

www.Midsouthshooterssupply.com has Lyman double-cavity molds for $63.

I'm in Iraq so I don't have access to my reloading log or I'd send a few recipes your way.

Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Bruce good info. Please take care over there and wishing you a safe return, Ray

Boolit Master
    Pm sent on 6.5 cal mold Dennis

Boolit Grand Master
    Got any favorite loads for the 6.5 Jap?

Super Moderator

..............The reason there isn't many 6.5 moulds is that the 6.5 was never a big selling favorite here in the states until the surplus Swedes hit the market. You had a few Mannlichers, and then some Japs and Carcano's after WW2 but that was pretty much it. Lyman DID offer some as back in those days they were VERY customer oriented.

Other then those the big comer was the Swede. Remington saw a chance and introduced the 260. In a modern rifle the 260 is to the Swede what the 308 is to the 30-'06.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance