MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 30 years, I inherit a Browning A5

Boolit Master

After 30 years, I inherit a Browning A5 PICS ADDED

This is a bit long, so I apologize in advance.

As a kid, one of our neighbors was a cranky old guy named Joe. He was a dear friend to my dad, and in fact we called him Uncle Joe even though he wasn't really a relation. He was really cranky, gruff, and frankly quite scary to a little kid. Turns out he really was an old softie with a heart of gold, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Joe had some guns. When he found out I was into guns and hunting, he would have me clean his guns from time to time. One of the guns he had was a Belgian 20 gauge A5, a Magnum 20 with a 26 inch IC barrel. I loved that gun from the first time I ever handled it.

Now we lived in a very populated suburban town. Discharging of firearms is of course prohibited. But to a cranky old guy who grew up during the Depression, that is a mere technicality. And when a rabbit is eating your garden, well by god you shoot that rabbit! Of course then you need to get the gun out of sight quick.

Any how, one day back in the mid 80s (I really can't recall the exact year) I'm working out in the garage. I hear a "BANG" and about 10 seconds later a stream of profanity from Joe's property, about 200 yards away. About 10 minutes later Joe shows up, looking very glum. "Patrick, I broke my gun" he says. Turns out he shot at a rabbit, and in his haste to get his gun stashed, he dropped it on his flagstone walkway. Two pieces broke off the toe of the stock, one about 3 inches, and a tiny one about 1/2 inch from the very tip. He couldn't find the tiny piece. Even then I was farting around refinishing and fixing stocks, so he asked if I could do anything. I said I'd try.

Well, if i do say so I did a pretty good job. I glued the piece back on, cut the stock and fitted a 1 inch pad to make up for the missing piece. I then refinished the stock and did a pretty decent job of matching the forend. To say Joe was pleased was an understatement. He insisted he had to pay me for doing that. I refused, telling him how much I enjoyed doing it. He persisted more, getting more and more angry and agitated. Remember, he was cranky and stubborn, even when he was ecstatic.Finally, I tell him this. I say "Joe, you don't have any kids. How about some day, when you are done with it, give me the gun. I'd love to have it some day, I'm in no hurry and that would mean far more to me." Bear in mind, he was in his 60s at the time, I was in my late teens or early 20s. He thought about it for a second, then said OK. Well, that was all that was ever said. Every 4 or 5 years since then, I would clean the gun for him. I would shoot a round or two of skeet, clean it, and give it back. I don't think he ever shot it (other than at rabbits in his garden, that is.) And that has gone on for about 30 years.

Fast forward to the present. Joe passed away this summer. And since my Dad (the only one who I thought knew the story) passed about 4 years ago, I figured that was that. Imagine my surprise when I received a letter from Joe's attorney. He had actually put this in his will, that I was to receive this gun! I was really blown away that he did that. This really was a story 30 years in the making. This gun now resides next to my 1966 Sweet 16 A5 and is a very cherished addition to the family.Sorry this was long winded, but I thought some of you might enjoy the story.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here she is

And the family. That's the 1966 Sweet 16 alongside it

And here are two shots of the repair to the stock toe

Last edited by Patrick L; 11-23-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: pics added

Boolit Master
    Awesome story. Thanks for sharing that.

Fantastic!
    Glad you have happy memories of your friend and hopefully, your dad.
    Belgian Browning A5's are awfully nice, in my experience.
    Be Well.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Great story, loved reading it, thanks for telling it.

Boolit Grand Master

Good Stories sometime have to be long. Enjoyed reading this one! Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Moderator Emeritus

Great story and thank you for sharing.....making it any shorter would take out the hidden nuggets, clues, that made the climax of the story sooooo great! Happy Thanksgiving as well....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Beautiful story .

Boolit Grand Master

Good story, thanks for taking the time to post it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

What a great story. I had a friend who mowed lawns with me in our neighborhood when we were in our early to mid teens. His family was not financially able to buy him any more than a pretty rough single shot shotgun. One day a widow lady whose grass he had mowed for some time asked if he liked to hunt, to which he said yes ma'am. She then produced a mint 16 ga Model 12 Winchester that belonged to her late husband. He instantly became the envy of us all.
    Sorry for the hijack, but your story was so indicative of a kind expression of gratitude, I had to share this. It reminded of my grandfather shooting crows and starlings out of his garden. Happy Thanksgiving.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

A good story takes a lot of detail. Details take time. Congratulations on the gift. There are still some good people.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Master

Patrick L you know how to spin up a good story. I enjoyed reading it and seems like most good stories, it had a very happy ending. Thanks for sharing.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Thank you
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

"Sorry this was long winded, but I thought some of you might enjoy the story."
    Not long winded at all and yes I did enjoy it! Thank you for sharing.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Good story. Glad your good will and patience paid off.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    You had a crabby grumpy good friend for 30 years.

That is a great story. I hope you repeat it often. We are only caretakers of great guns and the stories behind them. Thanks for great story.

Boolit Master
    Loved the story! It was a good one and a touching one. Sorry your family friend has passed on but that was more than friendship, that was a legacy too! Very touching!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Patrick,
    Thank you very much for posting your story,,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Good story. I love my A5 that I inherited from my Grandfather. It is the pride of my gun cabinet.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Very good story, thanks for giving us all the details. You were very kind to Joe by repairing his stock and for refusing to let him pay you for the work. You also told us a lot about grouchy old Joe - that he lived by the motto "let no good deed go unpunished." You were kind to him and he returned the kindness to you. Well done, both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast