WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Difference Between Bullet Makers

Boolit Mold

Difference Between Bullet Makers

Is there a difference between for example 147gr LRN from one maker and the same from another maker. Many charts list loads and specify a certain Buller maker. Are all 147gr LRN (or other wts and shapes) pretty much the same? Thanks

Boolit Master

Differences can be found in diameter and alloy at least. You can take it from there.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Assuming they are the same diameter, the differences could include a blunter or pointier "round nose", placement of a crimp groove, (if it has one at all), and whether it has any full diameter boolit in front of the case mouth when seated to depth. Probably a few others I missed.

So nope, unless they came from the same exact mold, there are a lot of possible variations within a given weight range and boolit style. Lyman for example was famous for changing boolit designs and keeping the same mold #. I've seen at least 3 different 452374's, but "technically" they are all the same 230 grain round nose .45 boolit, except they aren't.

Banned

I imagine this is a reloading question as much as anything else.

the way I look at it is by how much of the bullet is above/below the crimp groove.
    one 147 might/can have more or less length below the crimp groove and take up more or less of the case capacity.
    compare to the one you have data for and adjust the load accordingly.
    if it has same/less in the case, start with the data you have.
    if it has more then cut the data by 5%.

Boolit Grand Master

The difference between commercial casters is quality and consistency. A good caster will offer a specific bullet in a few different diameters (like a bullet for 38/357 can come in diameters from .356" to .359") and be consistent. An order of bullets shouldn't vary over .001" from a good caster. Good fill out and sharp edges are important and bullets from a good supplier will have sharp cornered bases too. Lube is another item that will vary between casters. Find a caster that will specify the lube used or you might get some melted crayons as lube. Shipping is one fact sometimes overlooked. If the bullets are dumped into a bag and the bag thrown into a box, when the box arrives the bullets can be pretty beat up, with lube missing and dents and rounded edges on the bullets. When I want to try a bullet before buying a mold I'll purchase some. The best bullets I've ordered came from Beartooth Bullets...

When reloading cast bullets ya gotta think. In theory, different alloys and small differences in bullet construction/design should have different load data, but in the real world a reloader will start with the "starting loads" for a particular style and weight bullet, and see how the bullets perform in his specific gun, then adjust the load, work up if necessary.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

There can be a lot of difference even in the same mold number from year to year or whenever the mold cherry was replaced. It is generally not a large difference in loading data but may be in accuracy.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    The most important difference is in length of the bullet which affects seating depth which affects pressures.