RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craigslist Score?

Boolit Master
    The steel .38 set is missing the expanding die which also did the decaping. The nut and pin you have in the box mounted to the nose of the expander. I have a set just like that. RCBS no longer supports that style expander, but they will send you a "kit" that will convert the sizing die to hold a modern decaping rod, and any standard modern expander will fit the expanding die. I elected to get a cowboy set expander for use with lead bullets.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking that the next thing to test with the bullet swagging die would be to put a 0.358" round ball in it and see what I got out of it. That should allow me to see what bullet profile it was designed to produce.

You old Sea Dog you did good! I watch CL for the very same reason. Deals!

This past summer I picked up 2 old kitchen cabinet bases that were being thrown out. They turned into a new Bench.

Boolit Master

nice catch ! which category was it listed? sporting? Evaporust from Tractor supply or HF will make short work of the hard cleaning

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    nice catch ! which category was it listed? sporting? Evaporust from Tractor supply or HF will make short work of the hard cleaning
    I think it was "sporting". I've stumbled across a couple of good deals on CL over the years. Picked up a good deal on a Kimber M1911 at one time and I think my SIG P229 was listed there. I've also picked up some good prices on scrap lead a couple of times. My Lee Classic 4-hole Turret Press, RCBS Jr, and mini-lathe was also listed there.

Boolit Master

RCBS plastic hopper for powder measure does not like brake cleaner... I had cleaned it up with kerosene and after wiping as much off with a paper towel as possible, figured a spray of brake cleaner would clean up the rest. That method seems to work pretty good on *metal* parts. Luckily, the hopper and lid were the only plastic parts...

Using a paper towel while it is melting is NOT a good idea... I then had pulp bonded to the dissolved plastic...

Very gummy mess...

Ended up waiting for it to dry / un-melt and then put it in the lathe to smooth it out with various improvised tools.

In the end, I was able to make it look not *too* bad and I'll continue using it. If I had totally screwed it up, I could have probably grabbed a piece of PVC pipe that was about the right diameter and put it on the lathe to get it to the right diameter and to put the lip in the bottom edge.

The powder measure was frozen up... Could not move it a bit... Put kerosene in hopper and around all the joints and had to tap on it with a hammer to get it to move even slightly. Tap one side, then the other... Repeat numerous time... Finally came loose... The adjustment screw was also frozen... Use a brass brush and steel wool with kerosene to remove the rust or whatever had frozen it up.

It works smoothly now...
    Last edited by NavyVet1959; 11-29-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

If you're concerned about knocking the tricklers over, fill the bottoms with shot and epoxy. The lower center of balance will solve the problem.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    If you're concerned about knocking the tricklers over, fill the bottoms with shot and epoxy. The lower center of balance will solve the problem.
    I was thinking of treating the bottom as an ingot mold and just pouring some molten lead into it. But it probably wouldn't stick, so I would probably end up having to glue the "ingot" back into the mold.

Boolit Bub
    Summers in N.E. PA, Winters in Central Florida
    Sailor, you did good! Wish I could come across some finds like that!
    Thanks for your service, from another old Vet!

Boolit Master

I've made a few good scores on Craigslist, best being a Rockchucker press with metal tray, missing primer arm for 10 bucks. A few long hauls across town turned into a waste of time, the equipment was incomplete, missing parts or damaged.

That's a nice bunch of goodies for sure! I scored a Rock Chucker and a Lyman tumbler for $50 once, sold the tumbler for $50 and now have a free RC that I do almost 100% of my reloading on

Boolit Master

The deals are out there but I gave up on it. Unless you can make contact and come to an agreed price before making a long drive. You're likely going to find the seller looked on net and wants to knock a few bucks off of the retail price believing they're giving you a bargain. Depending on your area, Backpage doesn't have any problems with guns, ammo or reloading tools and components being listed.

Boolit Buddy
    Had never heard of Backpage, Thanks. Craigslist is hit or miss but you were lucky and hit NavyVet. Power Ball is way up there $$$

Boolit Buddy
    Also forgot, bought a uniflow missing a hopper RCBS came thru. Did do the lead in the bottom of a trickler just used some caulk to keep it in. Ran a bead around it stuck it back in. good to go.

Boolit Bub
    He SCORES!!! Great find on the reloading stuff. Craigslist can be frustrating even at it's best. They don't call them CL Flakes for nothing. While I have gotten some smokin' deals, there have been a couple of hour plus trips to pick something up only to have the flake not show or to have already sold it, even though I called and told him i was on my way.

Navy good score...what are the chances of horsetrading or buying that black Lee dipper set you got there?

I sure like that swaging tool for HP's...with the correct Pb it oughta do a fine job (might have been hard to extract because of rust on the inside?) but, did it affect the OA diameter or does it do both at the same time?

That Gulf is hard on steel!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12