Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Slower or faster powders???

Boolit Buddy

Slower or faster powders???

My hunting seasons are done for the year. Now it's time to get back to recreation. I am going to start load development for my 300 Savage, and 303 Brit. The boolits I plan to use are the Lee 170 and 311466 for the 300 and my lyman 31141 for the 303. The 31141 drops @ .315. Iknow that doesn't sound right, but I got the mold used, and it has always dropped that size, hence the reason I have the lee 170. Any way, I am unsure where to start with powder. I am unsure which might be a better starting point, pistol powders Unique and 2400, or powders such as 3031, 4895, 2520,4350. I also have some others, just in more limited quantities. Starting point advice welcomed, and thanks in advance. I am wanting to develop hunting loads for deer/black bear.

Fast powder to go slow, slow powder to go fast.

On the fast side I like light loads of Red Dot, but most of the shotgun/pistol powders in the faster burn range can be made to work.

If you want more speed then look at the slower burning rifle powders. I'm a long time 4895 fan.

For pure economy it is hard to beat 4 to 13 grains of Red Dot depending on caliber and how much recoil you want.

I run 10 grains of Red Dot in my 7.62x54r for my pair of Mosin's and it does fine with a 185 gr gas checked bullet cast and sized at .314.

If it was me I'd look up book loads for the 4895 and start there. All the major powder makers have online load data. Just put in caliber and bullet weight and powder.

With both cartridges having short necks, pick the bullet that does not intrude below the shoulder. I paper patch all my high velocity rifle ammo (above 1700 fps) and find Alliant Reloader 15 an excellent powder for both .300 and .303. With 200 grain bullets in my 30-40 which has similar case capacity to the 303, I have had excellent results with Reloater 19. I have not tried R19 in the .300. I am using the same load data for the paper patched cast as for equivalent jacketed bullets.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

"I am wanting to develop hunting loads for deer/black bear."

The 300 Savage will have a 12" twist so with quality cast bullets, proper sizing and a good lube you should be able to push 2100 - 2300 fps with hunting accuracy. You'll find the 4895 and 4350 powders will be the best to get there. A Dacron filler will probably be best to use also with load density less than 80%.

In your .303 Brit 4895 with a Dacron filler will prove best under the 31141 as you'll find acceptable hunting accuracy under 2000 fps given the 10" twist. The 31141 mould you have is probably a very old one (marked Ideal or Lyman?) and was probably cut with a cherry made for #1 alloy. Lyman's 311041 is basically the same mould but cut for #2 alloy. #1 alloy give a lot more shrinkage in the mould when the alloy solidifies. With #1 alloy or COWW and lead at 50/50 will probably drop closer to .312 - .313 given the blocks are closed all the way so no light can be seen between them.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Just as Larry said with the 12 twist those velocities he mentioned are easily obtainable. You didn't mention this bullet, but it fits the 300 Savage like it was made for it and that's Mihec 30 Sihouette. Being the single lube groove in near the bottom it fits inside the short neck of the 300 Savage exposing no lube. It's about a 175 grain bullet from the current molds he's making. Thus it has the perfect OAL to fit those short 300 Savage magazines. It shoots real fine. You can start off with that load Larry mentions. That 4895 is in my opinion the Unique of rifle powders.

Or you could give this NOE a try. It is designed for the 300 Savage.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...oducts_id=1765
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7